Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 09:53 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Before he enter on the execution of his office, he shall take the following oath or affirmation:--"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

LII: Constitution

Do-over: Obama retakes oath of office - White House- msnbc.com
Obama Retakes Oath Of Office In The White House huffingtonpost
Obama Retakes Oath Of Office : NPR

They missed a key words in the retake "so help me god" which you can hear here:
Barack Obama retakes oath of office after inauguration day stumble | World news | guardian.co.uk
Obama retakes oath of office after Roberts' mistake - CNN.com

CNN and The Guardian managed to report the whole thing you can look for yourself who reported "Roberts then led Obama through the oath without any missteps." and stopped there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 05:40 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Duh?
You just quoted the verbiage and NO WHERE does it even remotely mention anything about a god thing.
Guess what, since they don't appear anywhere in the oath, THEY ARE NOT KEY.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:16 AM

Default For Sherlock...

Roberts: "I, Barack Hussein Obama do solemnly swear."
President Obama: "I, Barack Hussein Obama do solemnly swear."
Roberts: "That I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States."
President Obama: "That I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States."
Roberts: "And will to the best of my ability."
President Obama: "And will to the best of my ability."
Roberts: "Preserve, protect and defend the constitution of the United States."
President Obama: "Preserve, protect and defend the constitution of the United States."
Roberts: "So help me God."
President Obama: "So help me God."
Roberts: "Congratulations again!"
President Obama: "Thank you, sir!"

US president Barack Obama retakes his oath of office after a mistake at his inauguration | World news | guardian.co.uk

It must burn inside knowing the one believes in mysticism and fairy tales huh?

Old 01-23-2009, 12:14 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
And since some Presidents have merely said "I do"...

This seems like much ado about what could have been "I do".

Old 01-23-2009, 02:03 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times
What's the point of the OP? Can anybody clarify?

Old 01-23-2009, 05:07 PM

They decided to add lib.... They add so help me god... Just pointing it out. I didn't figure I would get anything but dissent. There is also the strange occurrence of certain stations leaving out the transcript and instead say "Roberts then led Obama through the oath without any missteps." As if they had no clue that the world would be extremely curious with a oath that not only didn't the bible (but Obama said was binding) and wasn't not filmed for TV.Just making note since these same papers through the elections were so clearly biased.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:36 PM

I still have no idea what you're complaining about. You have run-on thoughts and double-negatives ("wasn't not filmed").

Are you complaining about the "so help me god" or the lack of it? Are you complaining or pointing out the lack of a bible? Are you complaining that they didn't film it? Well, it wasn't for you. If they filmed it, you'd start complaining about mispronunciations, or some such silliness. The fact is that Obama can't win with the lunatic wingnut fringe in this country. He didn't have to do it. In fact, it was a mistake to do it, because it empowered some insane lunatics.

Please clearly state, in one sentence, what your issue is.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:46 PM

Seriously how can you possibly say you don't understand what I was getting and then summarily start answering... Move along if you are just here as the spelling and grammar nazi....

Old 01-23-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Seriously how can you possibly say you don't understand what I was getting and then summarily start answering... Move along if you are just here as the spelling and grammar nazi....
I don't care about spelling and grammar. I am a logic nazi, though.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:52 PM

Default Really...

"Well, it wasn't for you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies