Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,561 times

Advertisements

Will there ever be a day when we JUST say we are AMERICANS? Instead of saying we are Mexican-American, African-American, White-American, Asian-American, etc, etc????

Most of those that use hyphenated words like the ones above probably have never even been to the places where their ANCESTORS came from so why do we insist on continue using them. Instead they should say American with African or Mexican or Asian DESCENT.

This is a valid question I have, when is the race labeling going to end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 12:45 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,856,024 times
Unfortunately it's not going to happen. The race card and issue is just too valuable of a tool to discard. Playing up the race angle by the MSM in virtually every aspect of American life will only create more frustration and resentment. It's especially pronounced in lily white liberal states like Vermont where at times an environment of white guilt is fostered. I've lived all over the country from NYC to Alaska, served in the military, worked with and been around minorities all my life with virtually no issues, so playing the race card where it does not belong merely discredits those who do so.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:11 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Will there ever be a day when we JUST say we are AMERICANS? Instead of saying we are Mexican-American, African-American, White-American, Asian-American, etc, etc????

Most of those that use hyphenated words like the ones above probably have never even been to the places where their ANCESTORS came from so why do we insist on continue using them. Instead they should say American with African or Mexican or Asian DESCENT.

This is a valid question I have, when is the race labeling going to end?

If this country wasn't so segregated and racist acts from the get go, we wouldn't be hypenating American, now would we? Its going to be a very very very very long time that race labeling will end. Its not about ''have you even been to your ancestor's homeland'', its about not being treated as an American citizen.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:14 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,921 times
Never and it shouldn't. We need to recognize that we're all different. Tolerance isn't being color blind, it's understanding/embracing that everyone is different and not utilizing that to judge people.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:18 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
when we get rid of pluralism.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:42 AM

I dunno, I have plenty of friends from different backgrounds and I seem to get along with them okay and I think they've made me better as an individual. Maybe the people you're referring to just aren't very tolerant if they can't accept that people are different from them, have different backgrounds, and have different beliefs.

The USSR worked on making people believe they were the same, not understanding that while we're all equal we're all different, there is a strict difference there. That is a strength of this country, and while it's in its infancy we have really come a long god damn way since 1965.

I mean if you think 2 people from different ethnicities have the same background you're just being dishonest. There isn't anything really wrong with acknowledging that.

Dismissing cultures has never really worked out very well on a human scale. See what happened to the Mayans/Incans and the rest of South America when Spain stormed through to assert their "dominant culture upon the savages".

The point is that no culture is inherently "better" than another and that we can all learn something from each other.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:52 AM

Haha... read some history, Mayans/Aztecs/Incas weren't savages and I am not going to educate you there.

Second when I say we're equal I'm saying we all have an inherent set of rights, but our backgrounds and beliefs are different and that's okay. Is that clearer?

I mean, do you think that people of different religions can't get along? At least in the United States?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:19 AM

I've lived in several big cities, I haven't really had any problems in any of them.

If you don't think different religions can get along you should probably just get out of the United States, since that's kind of a tenet of the constitution, and it's not going anywhere.

Maybe your statement is more relfective on the fact that people haven't grown very tolerant. In my generation I dunno, maybe we're just more used to different cultures being around and dealing with it since it's "just how it is". I just honestly haven't seen the type of friction that you seem to think is all over the place and I've lived in a series of large diverse cities.

I don't really know what you mean by "thrown together". We all live in the same country, we all work together, that's how it is. I don't really know what you want to do/ Eject people that aren't "American" enough, however you describe that?

Also if you want to actually learn more about aztecs/incans/mayans you should probably do some reading instead of assuming they're all monsters. It might even give you some insight into the context of that image.

To get you started: Inca Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Enjoy.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:24 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
So I should be a Cajun French Native American-American? I'm part French and part native American. My wife is part French, part Spanish, and part native American. Ah heck, we're just mutts.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:31 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
RonaJ well perhaps the real issue is dealing with religion than race or ethnicity. As for the initial question well what does just being "American" mean anymore? Is it just Mom, baseball & Apple pie? We have so many different cultures now that I seriously doubt we will become a monolithic society anytime soon and what is wrong with embracing one's heritage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies