Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:23 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,265 times

Advertisements

So, the new senator from New York's resume state kinda reminds me of Sarah Palin. U.S. Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand is a second term "lawmaker". I just heard this in a tv news brief:
-she has a 100% rating from the NRA
-she supports the Bush tax cuts
-against the financial bail-out
-her father is a Republican lobbyist
-considers herself to be a conservative Democrat
-has a baby and a 5 year old
-her mother shoots their turkey for Thanksgiving each year

I would love to see Hillary's face right about now. It will be interesting to see if this will fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Probably less of a loose cannon.

Easy on the eyes tho!

Lets see if it is a smart move. Time will tell.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:51 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
So, the new senator from New York's resume state kinda reminds me of Sarah Palin. U.S. Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand is a second term "lawmaker". I just heard this in a tv news brief:

I would love to see Hillary's face right about now. It will be interesting to see if this will fly.
All good common sense stuff. They call her type "Blue Dog" Democrats. Suits me fine. THIS woman HAS tremendous smarts and knowledge. Palin only had raw potential (Politically) that would've taken decades to develop.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:53 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
No bigs, if she isn't with the program, she's out in 2010.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:53 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Palin? Not so much:

""After talking to Kirsten Gillibrand, I am very happy to say that New York is poised to have its first U.S. Senator who supports marriage equality for same-sex couples," said Van Capelle. "She also supports the full repeal of the federal DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) law, repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell (DADT) and passage of legislation outlawing discrimination against transgender people. While we had a productive discussion about a whole range of LGBT concerns, I was particularly happy to hear where she stands on these issues."

Kirsten Gillibrand Reached Out To Gay Rights Group

I've also seen reports that say that she was SoS Clinton's 'favorite' to replace her.

Last edited by TigerLily24; 01-23-2009 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-23-2009, 11:13 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Nice to see a Senator that can represent ALL of New York and not just NYC.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:38 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,734,102 times
Quote:

Good call. Aside from liberal women's groups, gay groups, environmental groups, and labor groups, liberals are going apes***t. I know I can hardly contain myself. Just look at what Markos @ the Daily Kos said about Gillebrand's selection: "To me, this is a win-win situation." Wow. Feel the outrage.

It's entertaining every time some Democratic politician does something that could be construed as "conservative" or even just not in line with the preferences of certain interest groups, conservatives jump up and down waiting to see the show put on by outraged liberals. Most of the time they're just waiting for Godot. This is another one of those times.

(Although I am curious why liberals are supposed to be upset that she has a baby and a five year old. Do liberals not like babies? Or five year olds? Should I give my baby and five year old up for adoption? Or am I a self-hating liberal? Help me out here...)

UPDATE: My goodness, I missed the bile at this top-recommended diary at Daily Kos, from a Kossack who ran for state office in her region:
Quote:
In those events, I'm here to report that she was the first one to arrive and the last to leave...answering every question and showing real interest in people's lives. I was very busy myself, but my admiration of her grew as I watched a confident, attentive, ambitious, candidate evolve into a quality Congresswoman who represented her District with passion and dedication.

I applaud the Governor's choice, and in the best part that our democracy has to offer, those who don't, can organize and give New Yorkers a different choice in 2010...but I think as you get to know the Senator, you will come to admire and support her as I have.
Wow. That's some powerful hatred being spewed her way.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:

She was in a district in upstate NY that voted for Bush twice and barely went for Obama this time...she had to take those positions to get elected.

Now that she's the senator of the entire state, her tune will change, just as it has already in regard to gay marriage. Otherwise, she won't be back in 2010.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:56 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
She seems like a true moderate. I like her a lot more than Hillary, that's for sure. She's a real NYer for one and not nearly so Liberal. I usually like Rebuplicans more than Democrats but it's really who the more conservative candidate is. The Republicans have forgotten what conservative means in too many cases, so I'm glad she's in and depending on how she performs, she'll get my vote in 2010.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:00 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
The reason people didn't like Palin is that she seemed incompetant. So unless she seems incompetant she's not "Sarah Palin style".

Secondly this supports my theory that the Left is going to move more right as time goes on (more blue dog democrats) and that the right is going to topple and become a liberal party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies