Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:44 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

http://www.chemindustry.com/apps/search

I'm sure it's from a variety of places. You don't remember several years back about how fixed income folks couldn't afford their medicine..... This is a direct result. If you want to provide some social justice you have to make some sacrifices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 12:47 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I've often wondered if fear (of anything) is the driving force behind a conservative mind and discussions like this enforce my beliefs, who are likely to make a mockery of this when they should be proud that finally we have someone willing to stand up against abuse by a foreign country designed to hurt America. China's currency manipulation is old news, and it is about time we had a dialogue.

Yes, it is old news which is why it's likely a ruse to facilitate an even weaker dollar. It can help produce jobs, but at a fantastic cost.

"in currency markets, when a country launches any trade action, you sell its currency," Laidi said."

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/us-strong-dollar-policy-fairy/story.aspx?guid=%7B22580957-CD43-483D-A708-A7B91BA4F0CE%7D

"And with the dollar in free fall, the electorate voted down the stagflationary malaise of the Carter years in favor of Ronald Reagan’s sunny optimism."

"Bill Clinton stumbled upon his arrival at the White House with tax increases and protectionist positions against Japan that initially weakened the dollar. But perhaps chastened by the 1994 mid-term elections, he among other things replaced Lloyd Bentsen with strong-dollar advocate Robert Rubin at Treasury in 1995."

RealClearMarkets - Articles - Weak Dollars, Weak Presidencies

Hopefully Obama has paid attention to the lesson learned by, or better, forced onto Clinton after the Republican Revolution. But I'm not holding my breath. That he has keyed onto China makes me suspicious that he may seek to create those promised jobs via a weak dollar trade war with China that sends the price of fuel and other imports skyrocketing again and potentially increasing the inflation rate.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:53 AM

A one world economy required the devaluation of some monies and an addition to value to others. Fed reserve steps in....

Old 01-24-2009, 01:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Someone help me figure out what the fuss is about. Is there a nation on earth that doesn't manipulate its currency? If not, why did everyone hop off the gold standard?

Old 01-24-2009, 01:04 AM

Early 20th century ones.... Everyone else knows globalization is inevitable.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:19 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
http://www.chemindustry.com/apps/search

I'm sure it's from a variety of places. You don't remember several years back about how fixed income folks couldn't afford their medicine..... This is a direct result. If you want to provide some social justice you have to make some sacrifices.
It's the "Wal-Mart" economy that has been talked about. With their $4 prescriptions, etc... They drive the vendors down and the vendors get the cheapest things they can.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:48 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yes, it is old news which is why it's likely a ruse to facilitate an even weaker dollar. It can help produce jobs, but at a fantastic cost...
And currency manipulation by China is a good thing for America. How?

Old 01-24-2009, 06:16 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Yes, their junk and their poison. Just heard today that most of the ingredients in our pharmaceuticals are manufactured in India and China. Defintely another good reason to go holistic if possible. These mercenaries just murdered their own nation's babies with tainted milk. I am so sick and tired of people being so complacent about accepting China's garbage because it is cheaper. I'd rather do without than buy their junk. Fair trade is fine, but free trade is destroying America.
Agreed. Between the amounts of massive, unchecked "immigrants", poisonous junk and food imported from China and Mexico, coupled with their currency manipulation, there's plenty of blame to go around in the devaluation of the dollar. It's time for us to revive the spirit of exportation, invention and competitiveness and take care of our own.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
No, Wal-Mart has no reason to complain. It's the big corporations like Wal-Mart who profit the most from their overseas affiliation with sweat shop labor and bottom dollar(or should I say cent) pricing on products that literally have to be thrown together with whatever materials are available just so they can make a profit. What we need to do is initiate policies that make it more economically sound for companies to bring those production jobs back home to the US. Replacing old tariffs and rebuilding our industrial machine would put vast pressure on companies to come back home and let Americans start making things again. We need a return to the good old days when America was the country exporting the goods. These days, our imports are the only thing that really keep our ports hopping.
Agreed. I used to shop at Walmart and then I realized that those "low prices" and items "made in America" methodically began disappearing. That was when I stopped shopping there. Their entire franchise is nothing more than a shell game. I doubt that Sam Walton would be happy if he were alive to see what his greedy sons have done to his dream.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Thanks for pointing that out... my apologies to op. I'm just not used to seeing posts started by anyone but...
No problem . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies