Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 10:47 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
It was 6 months ago. The culture is different in the military.Each branch has its own kind of personality, but each branch looks out for its own, often whether or not its fair to do so. Im learning that as I go.
Just like cops or firefighters or any other organization where the guy you rat out today might be in a position to save your life tomorrow...or not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 10:49 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
In my case it was self defense.
I understand.

And although in a perfect world, we'd all treat each other equally, I do think it's unwise for any gay guy to "come on" to another guy like that. I wonder how much of our prejudices are learned and how much of them are just natural.

I think some hetero guys are just wired to be more anti-gay than others, and are more likely to have a violent reaction toward gays. Unfortunately, from what I understand, there's a disproportionately higher percentage of men in the military who attack gay men compared to the general male population. I think the repeal of DADT will be good for everyone overall, but I don't doubt that some guys will not be happy about it at all, and they may end up taking our their aggressions on gay men - not even gay men in the military - but gay men in the civilian population.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:51 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
It was 6 months ago. The culture is different in the military.Each branch has its own kind of personality, but each branch looks out for its own, often whether or not its fair to do so. Im learning that as I go.
Hmm. Okay. Well, again, I acknowledge that it's going to be tough for some guys to accept gays being open in the military, but it's got to happen, in my opinion, and in the long run, it will be good for everyone.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:56 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
I've never heard of anyone having to say more than "no thanks, I'm not gay" or "sorry, I'm not interested" to ward off an unwelcomed pass.

I just don't see someone hitting on dave, he's a vocal homophobe through and through.
I don't believe that a person who condones rape because well, that's what happens, and hates homosexuality would be fun or even nice to be around.
I think this scenario smells.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:57 PM

968 posts, read 1,038,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gysmo View Post
Gays in the military is a disaster waiting to happend.
Was it a disaster for all the countries that allow gays to openly serve???

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/92/Gay_military.png (broken link)

Blue = Gays Not Banned
Red = Gays Banned
Orange = Mixed Bag (Don't Ask Don't Tell like policies)

Old 01-25-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
Was it a disaster for all the countries that allow gays to openly serve???

Blue = Gays Not Banned
Red = Gays Banned
Orange = Mixed Bag (Don't Ask Don't Tell like policies)
It's fun to compare other nations, with wildly differing cultures, to our own...but it doesn't mean much. There's a lot that goes on in other countries that wouldn't fly here and vice versa.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:12 PM

968 posts, read 1,038,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
It's fun to compare other nations, with wildly differing cultures, to our own...but it doesn't mean much. There's a lot that goes on in other countries that wouldn't fly here and vice versa.
I'm curious. In your nearly 1050 posts on this site, have you ever once conceded even the smallest of points to someone arguing a stance different than yours?

Old 01-25-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
I'm curious. In your nearly 1050 posts on this site, have you ever once conceded even the smallest of points to someone arguing a stance different than yours?
I'm sure I have. A small one, that is. Probably very small.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:15 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I've never heard of anyone having to say more than "no thanks, I'm not gay" or "sorry, I'm not interested" to ward off an unwelcomed pass.

I just don't see someone hitting on dave, he's a vocal homophobe through and through.
I don't believe that a person who condones rape because well, that's what happens, and hates homosexuality would be fun or even nice to be around.
I think this scenario smells.
I was celebrating the night my divorce was final. I celebrated too much. The guy I thought was my friend was suppose to ensure I got back to my ship safely from the enlisted club on base in Norlfolk. He had other plans. He led me to a place between two buildings. I was so drunk He had to hold me up. That's when he made his move on me. When I tried to push him off, that's when he began to start punching. It was at that point that the base police arrived and pulled him off me. At the time, I was a healthy 150 lbs, 32 inch waist, and was in the best shape of my life. After what he tried to do to me I think I have a valid reason to be somewhat homophobic.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:26 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Well, like it or not, most military members heterosexual, religious, and conservative. By "conservative," I don't mean to say Republican, however, just independent conservative. Most vote for the perceived lesser of two evils. After 20 years in the military, I can tell you that open homosexuality in the ranks is very detrimental to the morale and cohesiveness of any group of soldiers. I am glad that I retired a few years ago, before the US Armed Forces turn into the
US Metrosexual Forces."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies