Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 11:02 AM

570 posts, read 1,582,713 times

Advertisements

This may seem like a funny email but I was so surprised by what I discovered I had to share it with you. When I think of the job situation in this country I can't help but think this helps in some small way.
I don't know how many households there are in the US but if these were the only things we bought think of the impact....
This past weekend I was at Wal-Mart. I needed 60 W light bulbs and Bounce dryer sheets. I was in the light bulb aisle and right next to the GE brand I normally buy was an off brand labeled "Everyday Value" I picked up both types of bulbs and compared the stats - they were the same except for the price. The GE bulbs were more money than the Everyday Value brand but the thing that surprised me the most was the fact that GE was made in MEXICO and the Everyday Value brand was made in - get ready for this - the USA. So throw out the myth that you cannot find products you use every day that are made right here - from a company in Cleveland OH! So on to another aisle - Bounce Dryer Sheets....yep you guessed it Bounce was more money and made in Canada , the Everyday Value brand was less money and MADE IN THE USA! I did laundry yesterday and the dryer sheets performed just like the Bounce Free I have been using for years and at almost half the price!
So my challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for everyday things and see what you can find that is made in the USA - the job you save may be your own or your neighbors!
If you accept the challenge, pass this on to others in your address book so we can all start buying American, one light bulb at a time :-) ! Besides you might save a little green in the process. Stop buying the crap from China people.......... We should have woke up a decade ago...... let's get with the program.... help our fellow Americans keep their jobs and create more jobs here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 12:00 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,423 times
absolutely you CAN still find AMERICAN made products if you just take the time to look.
It might be a little higher in price but the cost is much paid back in the lower unemployment compensation we would pay for Americans in the "line" dont ya think

Old 01-24-2009, 12:41 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,543,313 times
Geez!! What a dilemma! I've always hated Wal Mart, and for good reason if any of the media stuff I've looked at is true. (Two films: "Wal Mart: The High Cost of Low Price" and "Is Wal Mart Good For America?")

They've slaughtered so many businesses in my little town that they are literally the only place to shop for some things. In my case, that's craft supplies, and on top of that, it seems like their craft and sewing sections are shrinking by the day. I mostly end up buying online or taking the bus to the nearest metro area, two hours each way. Wal Mart has made my work life miserable!

My knee-jerk response to your post is "Great! Maybe they're trying to redeem themselves and actually thinking of something else but the bottom line!" I'll be thinking about them in a slightly different light now. Thanks for your post.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:16 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,055 times
The fact that one product costs less then another doesn't necessary mean that they cost less to manufacture. I work in marketing and it is called "product positioning". The shelf price is a decision influenced by many factors, manufacturing cost being only one of them. It is also possible that GE sells the bulbs to Walmart and they still make some money on it, while the store brand product was commissioned and manufactured directly for Walmart. Today's commerce is quite complex. ONE CANNOT DRAW ANY FIRM CONCLUSION BASED ON PRICE ALONE.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:24 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
Wal Mart could buy and sell tons of stuff "Made In America".

Their profit margin just wouldn't be as high and that's why they want you to move your company to china.

And if you haven't seen these, I suggest you do.

"(Two films: "Wal Mart: The High Cost of Low Price" and "Is Wal Mart Good For America?")"

Old 01-24-2009, 04:28 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
The fact that one product costs less then another doesn't necessary mean that they cost less to manufacture. I work in marketing and it is called "product positioning". The shelf price is a decision influenced by many factors, manufacturing cost being only one of them. It is also possible that GE sells the bulbs to Walmart and they still make some money on it, while the store brand product was commissioned and manufactured directly for Walmart. Today's commerce is quite complex. ONE CANNOT DRAW ANY FIRM CONCLUSION BASED ON PRICE ALONE.
Funny thing is that the store brand of light bulb may even be made by GE.

One difference in the price is that the store brand does not have to pay for shelf placement and the GE brand does.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:43 PM

37,181 posts, read 19,179,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post

One difference in the price is that the store brand does not have to pay for shelf placement and the GE brand does.
And it copuld be that the store bulb has smaller filaments and thinner glass and other components and lasts half as long, which increases profits since the product is replaced more often.

Planned obsolescence has been going on in the American manufacturing arena for over a half century.

Read Vance Packard's book, "The Waste Makers". It'll open your eyes.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:40 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post

Absolutely! That's why we should never rush to judge and make conclusions based on price alone.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:37 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,543,313 times
Here's a short but pertinent article one might find interesting.

LiveLeak.com - Walmart lying about "Made in USA" (as if being dishonest is something new to them)

Old 01-27-2009, 01:38 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,423 times
OK so this weekend I set out to buy a pair of socks made in America.
First place I went to was the local walmart. No luck
Second place was the Target store and still no luck though I did find some from Mexico but thats doesnt count
So off to Sears and roebuck and bingo, found a pair of AMERICAN MADE SOCKS.
price difference between the blended dress socks was .54cents a pair.

It can be done.

However the wife id point out that I spent that in Gas.

Dang I hate it when she is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies