Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:06 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times

Advertisements

NHartphotog, probably prescription drugs are now a bigger problem than illegal narcotics. Those who abuse them might think that because they are prescribed they are safe. Not necessarily. They can lead to crimes and death. There was a story in Men's Health about an economically distressed county of 80,000 with nine pain clinics. And if you are lucky enough to get and fill a prescription for certain drugs people will ask you for leftovers. Maybe the Libertarians who want to legalize are just trying to level the playing field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 07:11 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
what are you saying then? that they should legalised so people don't have to steal to pay inflated prices? is that what you mean?
Yes. Legalizing drugs is not a good solution, it's the only solution. Take the profit out of the drug business, that's the only way to end it. There will be tragic cases of people destroying their lives through drug use, just as now, but the gangs will have to find a new way to make their billions.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:13 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
^I agree, because only stupid people do drugs. Nobody smart touches them. If we legalize them we will have libbys dropping off left and right!
What the heck are you talking about?
I get it, partisanship to demonize others you politically don't agree with.
This is one of the most absurd posts I've read all day, and that's saying something.

Rush Limbaugh is a junkie.
He's no liberal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endprohibitions View Post
If a drug is harmful it should be illegal. Weed isn't harmful.
I see your name is an opposite sort of name.
You want to continue prohibition of some drugs...
Who decides if a drug is harmful, and to whom?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
This argument over civil liberties would be the exact same thing for drugs like cocaine, heroin, meth, etc which are obviously very harmful and should not be used. The point needs to be made that Marijuana is a very benign drug with no serious consequences to use, and is very different from almost every other illegal drug.

Drugs are generally bad for you, but Marijuana is the exception to the rule, and is not harmful to the averages persons health or life as a whole.
I disagree with your statement "which are obviously very harmful and should not be used" - I see no problem with recreational drugs and don't really care what anyone's opinion is. Anything used in moderation is certainly not "obviously very harmful" - that's simply your opinion. This is where trampling on the rights of others who view things differently comes in.

If you don't want to do them, don't, who's forcing you?
We all make choices and it's not your business what choices another person makes for their life.

That said, I do believe that pot is completely different depending on the person, the pot...
So much better than alcohol, no violence, etc.
Anecdotally, the only thing I ever attacked while high on pot was a pizza.

Alcohol is one of the most dangerous drugs around and it's legal.

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-17-2011 at 07:55 AM..

Old 03-17-2011, 04:15 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
LOL protect the pizza's keep pot illegal...

seriously It is about choices people make. We have things illegal and we spend an inordinate amount of resources with that policy and that is nothing but a sinking ship.

We are not going to change people from making the choice when we keep it illegal. alcohol is a great example. we did the illegal thing and we saw organized crime escalate like no other. fortunes were made, including the Kennedy's. Once it became legal we are able to address drinking addictions, drunk driving and educate the public. have we stopped consumption? No will we? no but we did stop it from being a criminal business.

Now because of the profit we have cartels that wield more power than most countries killing people to feed the demand. No action we have taken has or will address demand. You can legislate until you are blue in the face and nothing will change the demand. Do we stand to benefit if we eliminate the $$ from these criminals? I think so. we can cut their power off. We can keep countries from going to these dogs because the money dries up.

I am practical about it. I want legalization in order to reduce crime both domestically and internationally. This is what will advance stability in Central and South America. Would I do them if they were legal? no. that's my choice, do I care if others do? not really , unless it adversely affects me. Let the laws remain that if you injure someone because you are driving impaired you go to jail. We have choices and if we promote people in making better ones perhaps they will stand a better chance than they do while our fingers are in our ears pretending this isn't happening.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:39 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
... for heavensake, please stop talking about how safe marijuana is. please stop talking about the positive pain killing qualities, advantages of hemp, comparable safety of driving high as opposed to drunk etc

this all clouds the real issue of CIVIL LIBERTIES! i don't want the govt to tell me what i may or may not smoke based on whether it's good for me or not, i want them to keep their filthy noses out of my business.

if i harm someone or steal by all means charge me for the crime and throw the book at me. until then, free choice, END OF STORY!!!!

Correct.

There is only one issue here. We don't need government telling us what we can eat, drink, smoke or do with our bodies.

All other issues are silly arguments.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I disagree with your statement "which are obviously very harmful and should not be used" - I see no problem with recreational drugs and don't really care what anyone's opinion is. Anything used in moderation is certainly not "obviously very harmful" - that's simply your opinion. This is where trampling on the rights of others who view things differently comes in.

It is amazing how so many people think that all legal drugs are good and all illegal drugs are bad. They have been brainwashed by a government that wants to tell us how to live.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:28 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Good point my man, but I think the harder drugs like crystal meth etc. should still be illegal because really they can be labeled as a poison. Like people shouldn't be allowed to buy anthrax at 7-11
People should be allowed to consume anything they want as long as it doesn't harm someone else in the process (like second hand smoke). If you want to eat arsenic, that's your business - not the governments.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
People should be allowed to consume anything they want as long as it doesn't harm someone else in the process (like second hand smoke). If you want to eat arsenic, that's your business - not the governments.
Agree. But second hand smoke is harmless.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:10 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
I can understand why meth, cocaine, and all the other hard stuff is illegal. I really can't understand why marijuana is illegal. Marijuana is the only drug that should be legal, alcohol shouldn't even be legal. I went to Amsterdam a few times when I was younger and I've smoked some of the strongest strains on the planet. I've never found a strain that was more impairing than alcohol.

The heavy drugs lead to problems and tax payers will be left to clean up the mess. More social security checks for single parent families, cleaning up more accidents on the road, more methadone clinics, increased unemployment because of drug testing. The list could probably go on forever. I don't like the idea of legalizing all drugs.
I've smoked bud that's so powerfull that I was unable to count to 10 the calm myself down. for me I can only get so wasted on booze before I take a nap but o weed I've literally bee out of my mind.

that being said ........al drugs should be legal.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies