Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 09:14 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times

Advertisements

I certainly wouldn't want to move more European in ideology and economics. We tried that over 230 years ago, it didn't work out so well. I especially would not want to duplicate countries in Europe that are trying to make their markets freer so they can get some long term economic growth for a change.

A true "Liberal" or free thinker would be progressing independently, not trying to copy someone else.

If you like it so much, KevK, maybe you should go and live there instead of trying to force ideals down our throats.. Good luck on the job market over there, and finding housing should be quite an experience as well (depending on how rich you are).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 09:17 AM

225 posts, read 342,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A citation is certainly needed for your first sentence. "Read somewhere" does not quite cut it. I don't think the constitution should be cluttered up with stuff about lobbying and campaign finance.
Yeah, I couldn't find where I read that, but I have been reading about other nations that are actively rewriting their constitutions, like Bolivia, for example. I also came across a little gem for what it's worth that Thomas Jefferson originally proposed that the Constitution should expire about every twenty years. He was "wary of the power of the dead over the living in the form of an unchanging Constitution." -Crazy. An old guy who actually could foresee the future.
Constitutional Topic: Rewriting the Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

As to your other point, surely if there is room in the Constitution and amendments to outline congressional pay raises and things like the voting age, there is room to lay down strict guidelines for congressional access for lobbyists and how campaigns get financed, eh? Not important enough?

Old 01-25-2009, 09:20 AM

225 posts, read 342,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
...maybe you should go and live there instead of trying to force ideals down our throats...
That's kind an exaggeration isn't it? We're discussing in on a message board...

Old 01-25-2009, 09:34 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
One of the central premises of conservatisim as preached these days is what people did long ago. You often hear conservatives reference "the founding fathers" or the "intent of the framers" when arguing their positions. This is especially true when they argue over court decisions. They often make the argument that "the intent of the Framers was....".
Some people accept the premise that the founding fathers and the Framers were always right about everything but I do not accept that even for a minute.
Both the political and legal structure of the United States has long been dominated by the upper class. That was espcially the case back then when only white male landowners could even cast a ballot! Many of these people were in fact slave holders themselves! If we went back to the "orginal intent" arguments, one could certainly argue that the Framers never "intended" that any black man walk free in the United States.
Therefore I believe that the founding fathers are not the end all and be all of what we should do today. We live in a much more modern and diverse country today and we need to apply today's ideals to today's problems and quit looking back 230 years to what some folks did back then.
That was then, this is now!
What exactly would you propose to change?
I think that all of the major necessary changes have been addressed through amendments, i.e. slavery and voting rights.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:37 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Letting these morons in government rewrite the Constitution would be the end of our country.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:39 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
It's hard to imagine him wiping his butt on the Constitution like Bush. But I guess we will see. For the record I am not some groundless Obama lover. I am watching him cautiously, like I watch all politicians.
I keep hearing this on this forum and I keep asking what part of constitution did he violate and if he did violate the constitution then why hasn't he been impeached? All I get is the sound of crickets from the poster.
Please answer.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:42 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
My life and my convictions aren't based upon the Europeans.

Most of US are THEM (slightly removed by a few years in history).

Old 01-25-2009, 09:45 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Most of US are THEM (slightly removed by a few years in history).
Supposedly most of US are Africans too(removed by more years)...

Old 01-25-2009, 09:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Idf you believe that about the constitution then you might alos see that modern times mand its dangers mean a change in right to bail;Allow authority to hold dangerous people without trialo and many other things that will help stop violenece. Even stop certain forma of freee speech or anyhting that harms the sate. A slippery road indeed ;i9f we conform to the moderanh dangers in teh world just as a for instrance.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:48 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
Yeah, I couldn't find where I read that, but I have been reading about other nations that are actively rewriting their constitutions, like Bolivia, for example. I also came across a little gem for what it's worth that Thomas Jefferson originally proposed that the Constitution should expire about every twenty years. He was "wary of the power of the dead over the living in the form of an unchanging Constitution." -Crazy. An old guy who actually could foresee the future.
Constitutional Topic: Rewriting the Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

All laws should have expiration dates. 1,3,5 or 10 years. If it works & is good renew it, if not let it pass.

Too many laws have been knee-jerk reactions to popular opinion of the moment, which does not make good laws, either at the federal or the local level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies