Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 05:59 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,690 times

Advertisements

I agree, except I would've used snipers to take out Bin Laden, Sadam, his sons, and top commanders, Bin Laden.
Less destruction, less bullets and less money.....which we could've used to straighten out Afghans toot-sweet.

fatchance2005: I know where the 9/11 killing cowards were from....doesn't matter in my book!

Live with terrorists, die with terrorsts. Aid terroists, die with terrorists. Sympathize with terrorists, die with terrorists.

This is the only way we will save the world from terrorism.

Last edited by amerifree; 01-27-2009 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 06:24 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
I agree, except I would've used snipers to take out Bin Laden, Sadam, his sons, and top commanders, Bin Laden.
Less destruction, less bullets and less money.....which we could've used to straighten out Afghans toot-sweet.

fatchance2005: I know where the 9/11 killing cowards were from....doesn't matter in my book!

Live with terrorists, die with terrorsts. Aid terroists, die with terrorists. Sympathize with terrorists, die with terrorists.

Since Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols were convicted of terrorism and they are from America, using your logic, that would mean you are living among terrorist so thus, you too are a terrorist. Perhaps since you live in the same country or region as Eric Rudolf, famed bomber of the Olympics and abortion clinics, listed as a domestic terrorist, that makes all American's terrorist?

I hope you can see the absurdity in this manner of approach, but if you wish to just point a finger and hate someone on the basis of the color of their skin, the nation of birth, or their religion, then by all means, you are free to do so in America. Hope you take great pride in that.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,187 times
Quote:

I see, so just "Kill 'em all and let God sort them out"? So then in what way are we ourselves not terrorists?

These kinds of discussions always remind me of something that happened 'way, 'way back in the Clinton Administration. One of the networks had a regular feature they liked to run called "The Fleecing of America", supposedly showing waste and fraud in the government. This particular night the show was about how the foolish NSA of Clinton's Cabinet was, in that they had a 400 million dollar spy satellite monitoring the location and cell phone calls of one man. The person was someone I'd never heard of: Osama Bin Laden. I remember wondering why Clinton would use a piece of hardware like this, capable of monitoring an entire country, for such a purpose. Needless to say, within hours of the broadcast Bin Laden was no longer using a cell phone. He would send his messages by runner to people miles away who had the phone, so at that time they could still locate him within a 5-10 mile radius. That didn't last long, and he's been a will-o-the-whisp ever since. It makes one wonder how different recent history would be if the press behaved as they did prior to Watergate, putting the good of the country ahead of their byline.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:31 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:

That's precisely the Manichean way the terrorists and all fanatics reason.

If you'd been born in Saudi Arabia, you'd be in al-Qaeda right now. If you were born in Germany in the early 1900s you'd have been in the Gestapo. If you were born a peasant in French Indochina you might've been in the Khmer Rouge. Since you were born in America, you can sit frothing behind a computer screen.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:48 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:

So you fully admit that you don't care who actually IS involved in terrorism...as long as they live in the middle east & speak w/a funny accent, they're all killers in your book, correct? Small mind, big mouth.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:52 PM

Points well taken....how would guys stop terrorism?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:06 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Well there is no way possible to stop terrorism but we can certainly do things to keep it from being so prevalent. The very first question that should be asked but almost never is never asked is simply, "why". What are the reasons being given by the terrorist themselves as to why they are doing and committing the acts they are. Once you have established that you can then address if they are legitimate or absurdities and work from there but it will have to be done on a case by case basis and dependent upon each situation. It may call for simple talks or it may call for military intervention of some sort, but to lump it all together is rather silly and counter productive.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:28 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,187 times
Quote:

My thought is this. With past outbreaks of terrorism the military approach has always failed. In the end the job of dealing with them has always eventually been handed over to civil law enforcement who were successful. Catch them, charge them with a crime, try them, and imprison or execute them. Al-Quaida can't touch us without entering countries where law enforcement will hold the advantage unless we just go over to the terrorists and present ourselves as targets. International cooperation by law enforcement is something all countries need and respect, not just our Allies. Trying to take the law into our own hands is a terrible mistake.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 PM

Tnhilltopper- I wonder what Antonio Phobias would say. You know who he is? The artist and writer of the cartoon in your avatar: Spy Vs. Spy. I haven't seen that since I was a kid, but it was a favorite.
As I recall, Mr. Phobias escaped Cuba when Castro took over. His thoughts on this subject would've been interesting. I'm sure he passed some time ago.

9/11 affected all Americans...some more than others. Some have constant reminders that keep the memory alive. Americans shouldn't forget 9/11...anymore than the fact many people who supported those attacks are still at war with us.
My post is admittedly fear based. Not of fear from attacks by terrorists, but fear we will become forgetful, complacent and comfortable. I believe that's why we didn't stop 9/11.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:49 AM

820 posts, read 1,202,731 times
Wrong:

Quote:

That is exactly false.
It is impossible for any military or political force to kill it's way out of a
insurrection or a terrorist situation.
That's completely counter to to US doctrine and practice.
It is criminally stupid.
That's how Al Qaeda does things-- it doesn't work for them either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies