Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:47 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I was raised catholic, am now an agnostic but not because of the church. Just because I never believed it.

But, from what I see of catholics that I am related to and/or are friends with.....yes, they try to live by the rules set forth by the church. Rules such as going to mass especially on holy days of obligation and that sort of thing. Really no different then obeying the ten commandments.
Now where it gets dicey is birth control. The largest catholic family that I know has four children. Obviously birth control is happening. The way this is squared was explained by a very wise parish priest. He said that the pope is not god, but the pope is here to explain gods will. Doesn't mean he always gets it right. In the end, if you go about your life with the intention of not hurting or harming yourself or others Jesus would be pleased.

A very wise man that priest.....too bad noone ever wants to talk about or remember the good ones, eh?
Given that the church has been opposed to artificial birth control throughout its entire history, and with well-justified reasons, I don't think the priests explanation holds up well.

However, the church allows parents (with just rationale for doing so) to space their children or even avoid having children with Natural Family Planning (NFP), which is quite effective, or simply by agreeing to abstain. I do agree, however, that the church's prohibition on artificial birth control is its most counter-cultural teaching, since unlike with abortion or even pre-marital sex, there is very little condemnation of contraception outside the church, even from conservative circles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Easy for me, as a non-catholic to say "who cares what the Pope thinks?", but I'm curious how Catholics feel when the Vatican makes a statement on abortion, or similar topics. So, Catholics, do you follow what the Pope says? Do you try? Only sometimes? I'm curious.
A consideration, but only as a respected perspective.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:59 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Given that the church has been opposed to artificial birth control throughout its entire history, and with well-justified reasons, I don't think the priests explanation holds up well.

However, the church allows parents (with just rationale for doing so) to space their children or even avoid having children with Natural Family Planning (NFP), which is quite effective, or simply by agreeing to abstain. I do agree, however, that the church's prohibition on artificial birth control is its most counter-cultural teaching, since unlike with abortion or even pre-marital sex, there is very little condemnation of contraception outside the church, even from conservative circles.
The church has reasons for what it does, and catholics accept that.
However, married couples also have reasons for what they do or do not do. A wise parish priest understands this. A wise wife knows her limitations in regards to how many children she can handle and how many children are financially feasible.
NFP is not infallible, depending on the womans cycle it may not even work at all. It is great for couples who do not mind the likelyhood of adding an oops to their brood.
I come down on the side of practicality. People who cannot afford large families should not be encouraged to have them. And I am not talking about people who would choose between another child and buying a mercedes...I am talking about the families throughout the world who are in the position of knowing another child means less food for them all. Putting families in such corners will cause abortions which I find morally repugnant. To cut down on abortions (not to mention suffering and poverty) then the Pope ought to make condoms a legitimate option.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I was raised catholic, am now an agnostic but not because of the church. Just because I never believed it.

But, from what I see of catholics that I am related to and/or are friends with.....yes, they try to live by the rules set forth by the church. Rules such as going to mass especially on holy days of obligation and that sort of thing. Really no different then obeying the ten commandments.
Now where it gets dicey is birth control. The largest catholic family that I know has four children. Obviously birth control is happening. The way this is squared was explained by a very wise parish priest. He said that the pope is not god, but the pope is here to explain gods will. Doesn't mean he always gets it right. In the end, if you go about your life with the intention of not hurting or harming yourself or others Jesus would be pleased.

A very wise man that priest.....too bad noone ever wants to talk about or remember the good ones, eh?
thank you for that explanation. Birth control is what I've been most curious about. I don't know a single Catholic that doesn't use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies