Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 PM

172 posts, read 279,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
And don't forget drive thru abortions, some places open 24 hours, too.
Yes of course....

I just get tired of listening to babble from folks who lean so far to one side they risk falling over. Leaning to far to the left or right can be equally dangerous for our future.

Op, why wasn't the middle an option? Just curious... Why does it have to be about liberal or conservative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 PM

283 posts, read 597,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaJ View Post
Yeah right.

Conservative areas have less illegitimacy, higher education rates, less crime, more children per family, less drop out rates, greater health, less infant mortality, etc.
Exactly. Their kids don't smoke drugs, rob people, and skip school, or if they do go to school they shoot them up so nobody goes. Most cities are third world because the liberal democrats control them.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:36 PM

172 posts, read 279,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Whoa whoa. Care to back any of that up? I think you're both wrong.
I can back up his statement and statistics don't lie. Get a map and perform a statistical comparison in education, wealfare and other indicators pointing towards liberal and conservative dominated areas. You will find that his claims are right on the money. Try and prove him wrong bet you can't.... Sure you'll find a few exceptions but the results will be lop sided.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:37 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
I'm liberal. That gives me a world of choices (okay, except under oppressive conservative "regimes"), globally.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 PM

283 posts, read 597,537 times
RonaJ^LOL. I agree, and whats up with hindus, Huh? They put their lip stick in the center of their head. LOL. The liberals will probably pick that up too.

I bet they start to pick up things from other unadvanced societies too to be "progressive" like walking on coals or something.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Okay, question for both of Ronaj and Odanny:

1. If conservative areas are what you say, how do you explain large swaths of the rural south? (no offence, honestly, but they are some of the poorest parts of the country.

2. And if Democrat areas are inherenltly smarter, how do you explain Schools in Detroit and Chicago?

You can't fit things into neat little boxes

Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,847,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
Exactly. Their kids don't smoke drugs, rob people, and skip school, or if they do go to school they shoot them up so nobody goes. Most cities are third world because the liberal democrats control them.
Have you read about the crystal meth problem in rural America? in case you haven't been paying attention the shootings in schools have been in more suburban areas that tend to lean more conservatives!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:40 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaJ View Post
Obama's home city of Chicago is filled with HS drop outs and immigrants that have less education than the people downstate, who have better educations overall.

This is fact. Downstate is more "conservative" and Chicago is "liberal" and Chicago has the worst public schools in the nation, a bad crime rate, more illiteracy, etc. -- and these people all vote liberal because they are looking for the government to give them something (they are tax consumers, not tax payers).

What conservative area do you know of that has a large tax consuming and/or welfare class?

What facts do you have?
Well, here's one. According to the US Census, the following states have the largest percentage of citizens with college degrees (top ten, with percentage of populace over 25 w/ at least a Bachelor's degree.
Massachusetts 35.8
Colorado 34.7
Connecticut 34.6
Maryland 34.5
Virginia 32.2
New Jersey 32.1
Vermont 32
Minnesota 30.6
New Hampshire 30.3
Washington 30.2

The bottom 10?
Oklahoma 21.9
Tennessee 21.5
Louisiana 21.3
Alabama 21.2
Indiana 21
Nevada 19.5
Arkansas 19
Mississippi 18.7
Kentucky 18.6
West Virginia 17
(Census Data from Encarta. The Most (and Least) Educated States - MSN Encarta)

All 10 of the top 10 went for Obama in 2008. 8/10 of the Bottom 10 went for McCain.

Forbes Magazine also did a list of the most and least educated cities in the US. The bottom 10 were a mixed bag, but the top 10 were Boulder, Ann Arbor, DC, San Jose, San Francisco, Southern CT, Charlottesville, Durham(NC), Boston, and Ft. Collins. Those are all fairly liberal cities.

In Pictures: America's Best- And Worst-Educated Cities - Forbes.com

Old 01-26-2009, 08:40 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
haha, man am I in the twilight zone? Some of you need to check yourselves, is there a little green man telling you what to type?

Old 01-26-2009, 08:41 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I agree w/ you, I've lived in Oklahoma & Texas, I'm looking to venture out myself...I'm more "moderate" in terms of my politics whenever the subject should arise but I try to see things from both perspectives...since I've lived in pretty moderate conservative to conservative cities (Tulsa/Houston) I'm a little wary of how I might fare in a place like Baltimore or even Boston...but then again...
I'm from Baltimore, aka Charm City. You'd do okay in much of MD. Look at Howard or Montgomery Counties or northern Baltimore County. The city is a mess, stay outside of Baltimore proper. If you want rural, look at Carroll or Frederick Counties. If you are retired, lots more counties are worth a look.

Boston might be a bit much for you, not sure.

Lots of Texans end up in COLO and do very well here. We have tolerance for all sorts, and we have all sorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies