Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:24 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,401,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
What's the future of the Republican party? So far it seems like they are going the way of the opposition party. Their existence now seems solely based on disagreeing with the President's policies without offering any substantial solutions to the problems the country is facing. If so, do the Republicans face complete irrelevancy? I would find that kind of sad, seeing as I think we do need a series of checks and balances. However, if the Republican's modus operandi right now is to reject anything and everything Obama supports, then I think they're sealing their fate.
The pendulum always swings back. Democrats got to ride a scandal ridden term for a bit. I think you can just look in the news and see what moral high ground they really had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:27 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,466,073 times
Default Are Republicans still relevant?

At present, yes they are. They still hold enough senate seats to either obstruct or support efforts to repair the damage of the Bush years.

I predict that if they stonewall Democrat efforts to pull America out of this slump, they will lose enough seats in the 2010 elections that they will fall into irrelevance at that point. Possibly for a long, long time.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:34 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,836,416 times
I think by 2010 the nation will be in dire straits....and NOTHING either party is willing to do will help.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:38 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,251,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I think by 2010 the nation will be in dire straits....and NOTHING either party is willing to do will help.
Obama already has the alibis set up:

1) Congress blocked me from getting more stimulus down the pike.
2) If we didn't have this stimulus, it would be even worse.
3) It's going to take many years to undo the 8 year tenure of "Bushanomics".

None of these are provable, but of course that won't stop the spin machine.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
What's the future of the Republican party? So far it seems like they are going the way of the opposition party. Their existence now seems solely based on disagreeing with the President's policies without offering any substantial solutions to the problems the country is facing. If so, do the Republicans face complete irrelevancy? I would find that kind of sad, seeing as I think we do need a series of checks and balances. However, if the Republican's modus operandi right now is to reject anything and everything Obama supports, then I think they're sealing their fate.
First reset was around Oct. 2008. The 5 year reset will be in Oct. of 2010. We will just have to see how well deficit spending does.

2001 all over again...

Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,836,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Obama already has the alibis set up:

1) Congress blocked me from getting more stimulus down the pike.
2) If we didn't have this stimulus, it would be even worse.
3) It's going to take many years to undo the 8 year tenure of "Bushanomics".

None of these are provable, but of course that won't stop the spin machine.
What is interesting about his plan(the little that is known as it hasn't been decided yet) is most of the spending in infrastructure that will provide jobs and help the country won't happen until 2010....

Leaving us until then to limp along I guess.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,466,073 times
Quote:

I have confidence that America will be able to weather this storm. The problems weren't created by forces beyond our control. The solutions may not quick or easy, but they're within our grasp.

2,079 posts, read 6,101,394 times
The Republicans need to get back to their conservative roots, they are falling victim to a proven psychological disorder: liberalism Half way kidding of course, but I cannot recognize or even agree with my own party, of course the reason McCain lost so badly was because he abandoned his party roots.

1,843 posts, read 2,366,779 times
Quote:
What is interesting about his plan(the little that is known as it hasn't been decided yet) is most of the spending in infrastructure that will provide jobs and help the country won't happen until 2010....

It all depends on what he can negotiate with Congress. What Roosevelt ended up with was not at all what he wanted, it was what the largely Republican Congress wanted. Unfortunately, when the President and Congress are of the same party historically they have had more trouble reaching an agreement that when they are of opposite parties.

Quote:

No that's a deliberate plan. They claim 75% will be in the system by that time. Either way 2010 will be a key year again because of the structure of loans and how they were setup. They are counting on another wave of devastating job loses in about 1 year or so. They said things will get worse before they get better but they (from what I have seen) want to give their true assessment of the economy for confidence purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies