Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:40 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times

Advertisements

Bailing out people instead of banks, if the cause of the financial meltdown is due to bad loans from the mortgage and credit sectors. why not bailout people?
that way the money thats coming from the bailout/ copt out/ loans would go to the people and they would pay the banks/ creditors etc.

then there be no one left hanging everybody is happy, i think its retarded to bailout one and not the other and the ceos are taking the bailout cash and running for the hills with it, if we do it the way i see it, the banks cannot ask for more assistance if they decide to freak the money off and they will be held responsible and thus cannot play blame game.

is this realistic not......^^everybody gets to keep their houses. as far as american auto industry they are on their own for inefficient cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:45 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
Bailing out people instead of banks, if the cause of the financial meltdown is due to bad loans from the mortgage and credit sectors. why not bailout people that way the money is coming that would go to the people would pay the banks etc.

then there be no one left hanging everybody is happy, i think its retarded to bailout one and not the other and the ceos are taking the bailout cash and running for the hills with it, if we do it the way i see it, the banks cannot ask for more assistance if they decide to freak the money off and they will be held responsible and thus cannot play blame game.

is this realistic not......^^everybody gets to keep their houses. as far as american auto industry they are on their own for inefficient cars.
If you combine all the bailouts, past and the one they are passing now, Each family in American would get about $103,000. Yes, I think it is sufficient to say that would stimulate the economy. But hey, that would make too much sense. Intead they are going let it get sucked down a gigantic black hole, disapear and nobody will know where it went. The plan they have now and the other are a JOKE and will do little to save us.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
A family member was indirectly burned by the real estate/ financial melt down, so I have zero sympathy for anybody who loses a home because they can't afford their mortgage or their house is no longer valued at what they bought it for and they can't sell it for what they'd hoped or can't make the payments.
If they get bailed out, then EVERYBODY gets bailed out, that includes stock losses and even people that have gotten by relatively untouched, they get the same amount. Whether its $100,000 or $200,000 or whatever.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:48 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
...the Fed has a number of options to provide relief, including lowering the amount the homeowner owes on the mortgage, reducing the interest rate or lengthening the term of the loan.

In general, a borrower must be at least 60 days delinquent to qualify for help, although the Fed has leeway to make some exceptions. A 2008 law that set up the $700 billion bailout fund instructed the Fed to take such foreclosure relief action.

Fed moves to help distressed homeowners - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090128/ap_on_bi_ge/fed_foreclosure_relief - broken link)

Old 01-28-2009, 11:29 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
A family member was indirectly burned by the real estate/ financial melt down, so I have zero sympathy for anybody who loses a home because they can't afford their mortgage or their house is no longer valued at what they bought it for and they can't sell it for what they'd hoped or can't make the payments.
If they get bailed out, then EVERYBODY gets bailed out, that includes stock losses and even people that have gotten by relatively untouched, they get the same amount. Whether its $100,000 or $200,000 or whatever.
This is a sore spot with me too. I have a friend who bought several properties when the market was hot, and has now lost all of them including the house they lived in, and is now in debt. This is a college educated couple who should have known what they could afford. Meanwhile, I've stayed within my means, have have no debt. Why should they get bailed out, when I did everything right?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
This is a sore spot with me too. I have a friend who bought several properties when the market was hot, and has now lost all of them including the house they lived in, and is now in debt. This is a college educated couple who should have known what they could afford. Meanwhile, I've stayed within my means, have have no debt. Why should they get bailed out, when I did everything right?
but there are many who did buy what they could afford, and may have lost their jobs or their interest could have skyrocketed.

this is also affecting many retired or eldery people

Old 01-28-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
theres a number of reasons why some can no longer afford their mortages, some reasons are no fault of their own, others are

Old 01-28-2009, 12:17 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
If you combine all the bailouts, past and the one they are passing now, Each family in American would get about $103,000. Yes, I think it is sufficient to say that would stimulate the economy. But hey, that would make too much sense. Intead they are going let it get sucked down a gigantic black hole, disapear and nobody will know where it went. The plan they have now and the other are a JOKE and will do little to save us.
That's -$103,000 with whatever interest rate....

Old 01-28-2009, 02:11 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,737,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
If thats the case, if you threw in the 3 trill the war will end up costing, we could have all been millionaires

Old 01-28-2009, 02:38 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
How about we don't bail anyone out? As big as our national debt is, the government is in no position to give anyone money. I don't borrow rent money from my jobless broke buddy from high school, why would I hit up a government which is trillions of dollars in debt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies