Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:32 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times

Advertisements

I've seen threads about Fox News being "conservative" vs "Fair and Balanced" But I was wondering if people think MSNBC is as liberal as Fox News is conservative? I personally think so--even aside from Olbermann and Maddow, there seems to be a bias in favor of Obama, like Fox had for Bush. I don't have clips or links, but it's just the impression I have.

So what do you think?

Thanks!

Mackinac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 11:33 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I think Olbermann's and Maddow's shows are liberal, but I think the news that MSNBC report is balanced. Don't forget they have Pat Buchannan among others to balance it out.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:37 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
I should add that I think "Morning Joe" is balanced, by the way, especially having Pat Buchanan on.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:54 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
When it comes to categorizing media as liberal versus conservative, I have come to realize that anything in the middle and to its left is to be considered liberal. Even NPR is a victim of this methodology, as I have seen most conservatives think of it as having liberal bias.

This is a result of fundamental difference in what makes up for a liberal versus a conservative. If a conservative happens to acknowledge anything good about a liberal idea, the person is quickly labeled as a liberal or RINO or what not. OTOH, if a liberal has a dissenting voice within its group, they aren't labeled as a conservative. This is also the reason why conservative talk shows are more popular than liberal talk shows. Even though I'm liberal, I tend to disagree and disapprove a lot of what Randy Rhodes has to say, and how she says it. But, I won't get dubbed a conservative for that. There is room for dissent within liberal world, not so much in conservative landscape.

As far as MSNBC goes, I don't keep up with it much, do listen to Rachel Maddow on the radio on my way home in the evenings. It surely leans quite a bit on the liberal side. When it comes to news, I rely more on them and take anything that comes out of Fox News as a grain of salt (especially their "exclusives"). When it comes to mudslinging, MSNBC makes a living out of using Fox News stories.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:30 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,525,521 times
Morning Joe is about the only balanced program out there.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:06 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,719 times
Quote:
EinsteinsGhost;7213971When it comes to categorizing media as liberal versus conservative, I have come to realize that anything in the middle and to its left is to be considered liberal.
That isn't true. Anything in the middle is just that, in the middle. That's at least one thing that you will not see a conservative try to do. Hijack the middle in order to make the left look more isolated.
At least we do not have identity problems.

Quote:
Even NPR is a victim of this methodology, as I have seen most conservatives think of it as having liberal bias.
The fact that it needs my tax money to stay afloat means that it most certainly is liberal radio.

Quote:
This is a result of fundamental difference in what makes up for a liberal versus a conservative. If a conservative happens to acknowledge anything good about a liberal idea...
...that's when you know the Devil will need to build himself an igloo.

Quote:
the person is quickly labeled as a liberal or RINO or what not. OTOH, if a liberal has a dissenting voice within its group, they aren't labeled as a conservative.
They are labelled as a traitor and excommunicated.

Quote:
There is room for dissent within liberal world, not so much in conservative landscape.
What facts are you basing this statement on?

Old 01-28-2009, 02:38 PM

32 posts, read 184,471 times
Chris Matthews is very liberal.

NBC News in general has more "the sky is falling" stories about the economy than all the other networks combined.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:04 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
MSNBC is the most biased cable news network, and it is liberal. Fox is biased too, and conservative, but alot less biased than MSNBC.
Extremist networks and newspapers that are biased and partisan never do as well as the ones that aren't as biased. Fox news has twice the viewers MSNBC has. I think that has more to do with their lack of commentary talent than their news coverage. Liberal major urban newspapers are going bankrupt.
But every media outlet has a right to carve out their niche and give what their supporters want.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:21 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Common sense and 5 minutes of viewing of either network provides the easy answer. Overall, FOX is a neo-con propaganda machine and MSNBC is a liberal propaganda machine. It makes for great channel flipping. Almost like a tennis match. And here, they are channels 47 and 48 ... even easier on the thumbs .

Old 01-28-2009, 05:50 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I've seen threads about Fox News being "conservative" vs "Fair and Balanced" But I was wondering if people think MSNBC is as liberal as Fox News is conservative? I personally think so--even aside from Olbermann and Maddow, there seems to be a bias in favor of Obama, like Fox had for Bush. I don't have clips or links, but it's just the impression I have.

So what do you think?

Thanks!

Mackinac
Take a look for yourself. As you can see, MSNBC is very liberal.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies