Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
I believe you may be only listing tactics here.

I think Saddam was set up and knew he was targeted.

How would accepting Euros for Oil have tilted the balance of power between England and the European Union?

https://www.eons.com/groups/topic/48...Invade-Kuwait-
The artical you linked is about the lead up to the first Gulf War. This occured before the creation of either the modern EU or Euro and is pretty well known. I am not sure what your point is? The someone along the chain of communication probably thought Saddam invading Kuwait was ok, but when it scared the Saudis as it most certainly did that would not do. Either that or things were miscommunicated who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 01:00 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That is the way many in Europe see things. I lived in Britain for a while and they have very different outlooks on things like poverty, guns, land ownership, fundamental rights etc. Outlooks often vary in European countries versus the US often a great deal. I figure they do things their way we will do things our way and everyone is happy. It is the same with much of East Asia as many there view political corruption, drugs and corporate greed as being some of the worst possible evils as opposed to very few people really caring about abortion, gambling, homosexuality, sodomy and prostitution so long as those things do not contradict the high value family and society is given versus the individual.
Well actually there are alot of Brits on that guitar forum and not all share that view in fact a few supported gun rights and wish they had theirs again including for self defense and a few had not so good words about the EU.True that political correctness is rampant in Europe but not all think the same.

Actually the Scots and Irish I debated with were far more leftist and against firearms as compared the Brits.They were far more "one world" as compared to the Brits also.The people I debated in Finland and Czech were also more freedom orientated than some other nationalities.So not all Europeans and younger generations subscribe blindly to politically correctness.People I debated from Holland were very political correct the "we are all human and people's morality don't count every life is valuable even killer's lives and killing in defense is still wrong to take a life".

Old 01-29-2009, 01:02 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
I saw another thread on here asking how to fix the economy. I thought the idea of a global currecny would put everyone on a level playing field.

Thoughts on this?

Why would you want to be level if you are already at the top?

Old 01-29-2009, 01:19 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyne View Post
I saw another thread on here asking how to fix the economy. I thought the idea of a global currecny would put everyone on a level playing field.

Thoughts on this?
Two obvious problems come to mind. Any nation can print extra money theirby stealing from the other nations. The other issue is that when the Anti-Christ comes, a single method of exchange will be used. Does 666 sound familiar? Mark of the Beast?

"Thus no one was allowed to buy or sell things unless he bore the mark of the beast – that is, his name or his number. This calls for wisdom: Let the one who has insight calculate the beast’s number, for it is man’s number, and his number is 666." Revelation 13:17-18

You should steer clear of universal currencies as a rule.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Well actually there are alot of Brits on that guitar forum and not all share that view in fact a few supported gun rights and wish they had theirs again including for self defense and a few had not so good words about the EU.True that political correctness is rampant in Europe but not all think the same.

Actually the Scots and Irish I debated with were far more leftist and against firearms as compared the Brits.They were far more "one world" as compared to the Brits also.The people I debated in Finland and Czech were also more freedom orientated than some other nationalities.So not all Europeans and younger generations subscribe blindly to politically correctness.People I debated from Holland were very political correct the "we are all human and people's morality don't count every life is valuable even killer's lives and killing in defense is still wrong to take a life".
You are absolutely right that things do vary between European countries. The Finns and Norwegians love their guns and abortion in Ireland is highly restricted and straight up illegal for any reason, including life of the mother, in Malta whereas the the opposite is true for much of the rest of Europe on these issues. Though most Brits where I lived, which was the city of London were strongly for Gun Control whether they were Tory or Labour. Also gun control is not really a hot issue in Britain nearly the way it is here. The big issues when I was there were entitlements and immigration. Though I will attack other countries for their foreign policy decision, I really am not going to critize the way another country does its own social laws it seems to work for them so I think that is great.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:24 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Either that or things were miscommunicated who knows.
The Central Banks wanted the price of Oil to go up. So did Russia.

Kuwait was the only hold-out that refused to lower production.

Bush Jr.'s pre-emptive attack on Iraq lowered Iraq's production to zero.

Who benefitted? Need I list names?

But back to the question of world currency -

How would accepting Euros for Oil have tilted the balance of power between England and the European Union?

Old 01-29-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The other issue is that when the Anti-Christ comes, a single method of exchange will be used. Does 666 sound familiar? Mark of the Beast?

"Thus no one was allowed to buy or sell things unless he bore the mark of the beast – that is, his name or his number. This calls for wisdom: Let the one who has insight calculate the beast’s number, for it is man’s number, and his number is 666." Revelation 13:17-18

You should steer clear of universal currencies as a rule.
I am confused...First the vast majority of the world does not believe in the anti-Christ and a good segment of the people who do also believe the bible is the abosolute truth so theirfore the anti-Christ and mark of the beast will happen anyways as it has been fortold so the second comming may occur.

It makes no sense from any angle I look at it either you are telling people to act on something they think is a myth or your telling people to do something as a countermeasure to something that they believe will happen inevitably anyway and is part of God's plan?

I can understand economic reasons to oppose this, but this just makes no sense no matter how I look at it.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 01-29-2009 at 01:39 PM..

Old 01-29-2009, 01:35 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Money As Debt

IMF....

Old 01-29-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The Central Banks wanted the price of Oil to go up. So did Russia.

Kuwait was the only hold-out that refused to lower production.

Bush Jr.'s pre-emptive attack on Iraq lowered Iraq's production to zero.

Who benefitted? Need I list names?

But back to the question of world currency -

Of course Oil companies, and Russia benefited. I cannot see why Central banks really would care about oil as they have much more big and profitable fish to fry in the financial economy then anything that exists in the real economy.

But back to my question why would Saddam change what currency he wished to recieve from oil money in to a currency that did not exist at the time cause the 1991 Gulf War?

Second England is part of the UK which is part of the EU, they just have a tiny opt out that gives them a separate currency until as is the stated policy of the Labour government the United Kingdom the Euro meets acceptable conditions for monetary union with the Pound sterling.

I agree Oil including pricing was part of it and I also agree Bush Jr. was looking for any excuse to go to war with Saddam. But I disagree that it had anything to do with 9/11 and so far I haven't seen any evidence it was at all conected to central banks or Euros for oil.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:08 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
This should explain the ever present push for nationalization from Europe. A one world government is one financial crisis around the corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies