Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
If more private entities don't stand up for morality we will end up like some cesspool society being carried away into sensualism and gross behaviour.

OH! Too late.
Yeah, and I'm grateful for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Yes but isn't this school in Riverside... I heard Riverside is quite conservative.....
Yes, I know, but I was responding to a post that flat-out said, "Southern California is conservative."

Not that it's all-defining, but just for reference: Obama did win Riverside, San Bernardino, and San Diego Counties.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester View Post
Why would a dyke want to go to a religious high school in the first place.

I don't think most kids get the final word in where they go to school.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:19 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
As a private school they should have the right to decide policy and the government has no business sticking their nose in. That anyone should question it is why I am saying our religious rights are being threatened. Freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
As a private school they should have the right to decide policy and the government has no business sticking their nose in. That anyone should question it is why I am saying our religious rights are being threatened. Freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.
This isn't so much about freedom of religion as it is freedom to discriminate against gay people.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:45 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
As a private school they should have the right to decide policy and the government has no business sticking their nose in.
You think the state should tolerate ritual virgin sacrifice at private schools? I think not. I think private schools are every bit as subject to public law as public schools, where public law allows to private schools some rights that it does not extend to public schools. Conservatives are so wont to take that which does not belong to them.

Quote:
That anyone should question it is why I am saying our religious rights are being threatened. Freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.
Your religious rights are constrained by the limits of your person. They do not in any way extend to another person. What is threatened is the use of religion as a cover for conspiracy to deprive others of THEIR rights, something that religious extremists do seem to delight in doing. There meanwhile IS no freedom of religion without freedom from religion. The latter is the very underpinning of the former, and the former has nothing at all to do with any right to do whatever you please.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:07 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This isn't so much about freedom of religion as it is freedom to discriminate against gay people.
As a private business, they should have the freedom to discriminate against whoever they want.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:13 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
An appeals panel finds California Lutheran High School in Riverside County is not a business and therefore doesn't have to comply with a state law barring discrimination based on sexual orientation.

By Maura Dolan
January 28, 2009

Reporting from San Francisco -- After a Lutheran school expelled two 16-year-old girls for having "a bond of intimacy" that was "characteristic of a lesbian relationship," the girls sued, contending the school had violated a state anti-discrimination law.

In response to that suit, an appeals court decided this week that the private religious school was not a business and therefore did not have to comply with a state law that prohibits businesses from discriminating. A lawyer for the girls said Tuesday that he would ask the California Supreme Court to overturn the unanimous ruling by a three-judge panel of the 4th District Court of Appeal.

The appeals court called its decision "narrow," but lawyers on both sides of the case said it would protect private religious schools across California from such discrimination suits.

Kirk D. Hanson, who represented the girls, said the "very troubling" ruling would permit private schools to discriminate against anyone, as long as the schools used their religious beliefs as justification.

Full story: School can expel lesbian students, court rules - Los Angeles Times
True, the school can do what it wants. Who would want to be in a religion that was that biased as to who God loves? They should feel fortunate to learn this about the Lutherans.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:14 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
I applaud the court's unanimous decision.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:23 AM

870 posts, read 1,626,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
How low can they go??

who? the girls? well....i guess they are going about as low as they can on each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies