Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 10:59 AM

3,813 posts, read 4,914,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Uh, not so. The practice where I work has no plans to start any type of EMR. There is a practice in my building that doesn't even have a fax machine!

I'm wrong about EHR but what about billing? Health information is provided to insurers for reimbursement. Without it, no reimbursement. Do you only deal in cash? It's been awhile since I was involved in biling but the bit I know about Medicare, Medicare and, I thought, private 3rd party payors as a provider requires electronic processing of information. How do you access providers NPI numbers which are required for at the minimum Medicare billing? Or Medicaid provider numbers?

The studies I've seen have shown that there was a significant loss of reimbursement with 'paper' billing due to lack of information provided to the insurer. That's why a lot of private practice doc's go belly up fairly quickly. EHR has resulted in better reimbursement because the information is there. As someone who has 'written' notes and entered information into EHR, I can tell you the information I enter is more complete. EHR is much quicker than writing/dictating but the cues for specific diagnosis are built into the system. When seeing 25 to 40 patients per day is the norm, writing and dictating is quick and not as complete. I see your clinic changing to EHR.

A providers office that doesn't even have a fax? My thought as a consumer is they must be really old fashion, reluctant to change and their medical practice/education probably reflects that.

Last edited by Siouxcia; 01-31-2009 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 01:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I don't do the billing, but no, we don't deal in cash only (though there are some practices that do just that)! Our billing system is probably more au courant than our medical records!

I don't know how anyone could operate an office w/o a fax machine either. Just sayin' there are some out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies