Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:26 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times

Advertisements

*sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 02:20 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
I think I will leave this thread to it's own devices.

I had been hoping for a rational and interesting discussion on Constitutional issues as it might apply to San Diego's ordinance and application required of door to door solicitors.

Instead I am barraged with various quips and almost rude if not downright rude comments.

With various comments thrown in about how sicking dogs, or threatening potential shootings, threatening to sue solicitors for tresspassing, and other such ideas are the answer to any freedom of speech and freedom of assembly violations at your front door.

The seeming ignorance on Constitutional issues here and the seeming indifference on whether a City like San Diego might be violating the Constitution in some of it's requirements...is nothing short of astounding to me.

It's like some of you don't care. And would rather throw about non-relevant statements that have nothing to do with the issue itself as readily as you might toss that mornings coffee down the drain.

Freedom is at stake in the US folks. And unless American's start defending their freedoms and standing up for such things...we are in danger of loosing whatever freedoms we have left. One day...we may wake up and realize that we have allowed a totalitarian State to take away all that we once treasured of freedom.

If you think it can't happen in the US...may I say that you are ignorant of history and human nature.

We may loose whatever freedoms we have left...not because of some door to door solicitation permit directly. But rather because such a permit...if indeed it violates Constitutional principles of freedom enshrined in our Constititution...is a reflection of more and more freedoms being taken away by a government run amok.

And the people...did nothing and said even less....and were about as willing to discuss the implications of this issue about as much as one might want to discuss how many ants went past their window this morning.

That's sad.

I have always maintained that a people end up with the government they deserve. I wish sometimes that it was not so but...that's the way it is.

America is going downhill fast and it is a terrible shame.

If anyone wants to discuss this issue more...please send me a direct message. I don't think I will participate in this thread any more and will unsubscribe myself from seeing any further posts on it.

Carlos

PS. My comments above do not apply to every poster and I appreciate any thoughts that were shared from any who do have a sincere and concerned interest in this issue.
Lol. You didnt get the answers you wanted so you're going home.

If you wanted to talk about this issue, why didnt you join the discussion? Your opportunities to post may have been limited, but when you did post you spent all your energy pouting, instead of laying out your POV and the reasons why you were right and your antagonist was wrong. You took the time, several times, to say that you didnt have time to reply, but you had a great deal of time to go on at length about how miffed you were by the irreverent responses you were receiving. You do the exact same thing in your final dramatic scene at the door, the above quoted post - great big long post, filled with nothing but complaining about posters and some roundabout, overblown reference to your Job-like relationship with the San Diego Permits Department.

The ordinance - you've seriously never filled out a job application or an application for credit? Same stuff is asked there, you know... did you take any of the practical advice offered you? Did you ever ask the Permit Dept how they protect applicants' information? Since you dont respond to the help and advice people took the time to give you, maybe that's not actually what you wanted

You whined about the city ordinance intruding into your privacy - a door-to-door salesperson saying this, LOL. But it makes perfect sense in light of your approach to this thread, which illustrates a very strange, self-absorbed and self-defeating pattern.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:31 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
It would appear that many people think private property begins at ones door rather than the property line.
Perhaps if soliciters of any kind were prohibited from entering a property unless invited, these strcit regulations would not have become necessary.
I can't disagree than one type over another should be faced with more stringent requirements for permits.....this is obviously only based on the odds of one being more potentially dangerous than another ( and is probaby accurate).
As far as free speech....it's already been said.....say it from the sidewalk. Your right to free speech doesn't include the right to do so on my property.....not even to entering my property without permission in order to ask permission........and, to be fair, should apply equally to all.

However, there are many things that "violate" individual rights for the benefit of the rest of the citizenry.
For example...I should have the 'right' to get drunk and drive. I also may do so every day for my adult life and never once harm anyone.It is a right that has still been declared illegal becausee of the chance it may be harmful.
This is what has happened with the OP.
If he insists on going door to door, he is going to have to show willingness to lessen the odds he is potentially dangerous (or make it easier to get caught

Old 02-04-2009, 05:41 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
A constitutional right to bother people in their own homes, perhaps you could point that out in the Constitution, I can't seem to find it.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:20 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
A constitutional right to bother people in their own homes, perhaps you could point that out in the Constitution, I can't seem to find it.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 763 times
It is too bad people are so insecure and afraid in their own homes and in their own skin. Why can't people be real enough to be honest with others and if someone knocks on your door you have a choice, ignore it and don't answer the door, answer the door and tell them no, answer it and tell them yes, if you are not interested in being contacted again- ask them to take you off the list. If they don't take you off the list -get pissed. If they do take you off their list- don't frickin worry about it. Life is Too short. Live a little and try to be nice. P.S. For the few that have been assaulted at their own door go with the first choice.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:30 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,689,689 times
Your rights end where my property line begins. IOW, when you invade my right to an enjoyment of my property, that's where my rights take over. I have the right to answer the door naked with a beer in my hand (does quite a number on religious solicitors; NOT a pretty sight, they leave skid marks) or with a pistol to tell you to get the hell off. Or I have the right to invite you in and buy whatever you are selling.

That said - The government does not have the right to tell you that you can't come to my particular door, or that you have to tell them who you are, where you're from, what you're selling, etc. As in any 'law' I have to say - "Follow the money" - perhaps they are trying to prove who's making what to tax them?

This is possibly an outgrowth of all of those people who get miffed but don't have the brass set to answer their door horrendously, often nightmarishly naked or to chase off the solicitors, or even to post the little sign that says, "No Soliciting". Or an outgrowth of the home invasions and criminal mindsets of some who do show up at peoples' doors unannounced. The thing everyone seems to conveniently forget is - no matter how intense the punishment, no matter how strict the enforcement, government cannot protect you from harm. Sorry, no matter how hard they try, they can't do it; not unless they station a cop outside of every home in America, in your car, and on your bus, train, or plane. Not if they register every person and microchip them. Not if they put ankle trackers on every solicitor in California. This is just a knee-jerk political placating reaction to some more of those fuzzy-headed people who scream, "There oughtta be a LAW!" without ever thinking of the ramifications (AKA as "unintended consequences") or taking personal responsibility.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 618 times
I'm not quite sure what the complaint is here. Nonprofit organizations (religious, girl scouts, etc) are exempt from the permit requirement. It is encouraged that they carry a form of identification but they are not required to get a permit. The only restriction they have is that they may not knock on the door of someone who has posted a no solicitors sign but that goes true for any solicitor, nonprofit or for profit. The permit is only required of those seeking to sell goods or services.

So, I'm confused as to the issue here on how it unfairly burdens one's right to free speech.

Here is a link to the permit application for reference: http://www.sandiego.gov/police/pdf/p...solicitors.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies