Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 09:54 AM

1,678 posts, read 2,546,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
But they are not cared for by Michelle and Jim Bob. They are cared for by the older daughters. Yes, I spend WAY too much time watching the freak show that is the Duggar family.
I'm sure you are right that the older daughters help out quite a bit, but as an older sibling who also helped take care of younger brothers and sisters, it didn't hurt me at all. Infact, it prepared me for my own family. I don't feel that I missed out on anything, and I'm sure they don't either.

One thing for sure...you won't find the Dugger girls engaging in pre-marital sex or getting themselves pregnant before marriage! This family has simply gone back to the way the traditional family was back when my parents and grandparents were growing up...it doesn't make them freaks...their kids will grow up with better ethics and morals than most kids today. That's not a bad thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 10:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAnomie View Post
I once spoke with a British guy who said that one of the biggest differences between Brits and Americans is that British society has plenty of idiots, too, but they don’t plaster them all over television. This was about 7-9 years ago, before reality television really took off and changed many mediocre, attention-lusting Americans into overnight cult personalities and "household names."

Now some British t.v. has gotten very crass in recent years, but I understand that some of their lowest brow programmes (as they spell it) cover American idiots expressly for the purposes of pointing out how stupid and vain Americans are and how debased and vacuous American "culture" is.

Canceling my cable subscription was one of the smartest things I ever did to downsize my spending.
The British tabloid press has been around for decades.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
where did you read she was unemployed? Other news sources claim she worked for a fertility clinic? And a lot of people get aid from the state for college tuition - she may have qualified for that before she had any kids - so that's really a non-issue.

<snip>
The Associated Press: Grandma: Octuplets mom obsessed with having kids I know my local news station has been known to rely on rumors as actual facts
The "working for an infertility clinic" story, I think, started here on CD. Everything else I have read says her employment status is unknown.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:06 AM

742 posts, read 2,068,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I'm reading today that this woman was obsessed with having babies. Sounds like some mental health issues abound with her and she was going to have babies no matter what.
Here's the link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090131/ap_on_re_us/octuplets - broken link).

According to Mahalo, Grandpa originated from Iraq. Not Latino, Hispanic or any one of them spanish-language culture the OP is obsessed with pinning the blame on. The name 'Nadya' is Russian. Again, not Latino, Hispanic or any one of them spanish-language culture the OP is obsessed with pinning the blame on.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
I'm sure you are right that the older daughters help out quite a bit, but as an older sibling who also helped take care of younger brothers and sisters, it didn't hurt me at all. Infact, it prepared me for my own family. I don't feel that I missed out on anything, and I'm sure they don't either.

One thing for sure...you won't find the Dugger girls engaging in pre-marital sex or getting themselves pregnant before marriage! This family has simply gone back to the way the traditional family was back when my parents and grandparents were growing up...it doesn't make them freaks...their kids will grow up with better ethics and morals than most kids today. That's not a bad thing!
1. You can't know how anyone else is thinking/feeling.

2. Do not make any rash predictions. Unwed pregnancies occur in the "best" of families, and have for centuries. I think we all have some skeletons in our family closets!

Old 01-31-2009, 10:10 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
where did you read she was unemployed? Other news sources claim she worked for a fertility clinic?
It's in this article which was just released today: Octuplets' mom was hoping for 'just one more girl,' grandmother says - Los Angeles Times

Interesting quote: "Friends and family also reported that Nadya Suleman worked as a psychiatric technician until she was injured on the job. Then she began having children and enrolled in school. She graduated from Cal State Fullerton in 2006 with a bachelor of science degree in child and adolescent development, school officials said. She returned to pursue a master's in counseling, but last attended in the spring of 2008."

So there you go. She's been unemployed for years. BTW, I'd love to know how a "psychiatric technician" gets hurt on the job...

Old 01-31-2009, 10:12 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I'd love to know how a "psychiatric technician" gets hurt on the job...
When a patient goes nuts and attacks them - often knocking them to the ground - or into furniture.

Quite common

Old 01-31-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
It's in this article which was just released today: Octuplets' mom was hoping for 'just one more girl,' grandmother says - Los Angeles Times

Interesting quote: "Friends and family also reported that Nadya Suleman worked as a psychiatric technician until she was injured on the job. Then she began having children and enrolled in school. She graduated from Cal State Fullerton in 2006 with a bachelor of science degree in child and adolescent development, school officials said. She returned to pursue a master's in counseling, but last attended in the spring of 2008."

So there you go. She's been unemployed for years. BTW, I'd love to know how a "psychiatric technician" gets hurt on the job... :think:
There are many ways that could happen. Combative patients, lifting heavy patients, on and on. It happens a lot in health care facilities.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:20 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmac View Post
I'm sure you are right that the older daughters ""

Why only DAUGHTERS?

""help out quite a bit, but as an older sibling who also helped take care of younger brothers and sisters, it didn't hurt me at all. Infact, it prepared me for my own family. ""

Yes, it prepares them for taking care of kids....there's more to life.

I don't feel that I missed out on anything, and I'm sure they don't either.""

WHERE did you get so much insight into these strangers?

""One thing for sure...you won't find the Dugger girls engaging in pre-marital sex or getting themselves pregnant before marriage! """

Why not? I mean, ya , they might look at their mother and say "OH NO NOT FOR ME!" but there's no assurance of that....they may have learned how having a babies get you so much attention.

""This family has simply gone back to the way the traditional (?) family was back when my parents and grandparents were growing up

No immorality back then? No incest? No babies born out of wedlock? Nothing bad ever happened? Really! Sorry, but "Ozzie and Harriet" was just a TV show.

...it doesn't make them freaks...their kids will grow up with better ethics and morals than most kids today. ""

HOW do you KNOW that?

That's not a bad thing!

Having babies does not necessarily make you good or moral.

Ooops, forgot another question:

"""
""One thing for sure...you won't find the Dugger girls engaging in pre-marital sex or getting themselves pregnant before marriage! """

Just the GIRLS, right?????

Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
If she was obsessed about having kids, why not adopt?
There are plenty of kids already on this earth that need loving homes.

I'm just hoping she isn't on food stamps, WIC, or whatever.
Sure it sucks for her children but she chose to bring them into this world and it should be her responsibility to help pay for them.
I have no problem helping those who are trying to help themselves but it seems like she wants to be a Michelle Duggar II on steroids having 10 kids at a time.

People like this disgust me. Just adopt if you love kids so much.
I know the adoption process is not always so easy (depending on what state you live in) but I bet it's a lot cheaper than fertility treatments...plus at least in that case you can pick the sex of the child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies