Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:27 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Most here support Obama and as my elected President I do too, though I did not during the election. I want him to succeed, for us all.
Glad to hear it.
Quote:
That being said, we have a clear, black and white (no pun intended) night and day issue here. We have all Democrats supporting this spending, bloated pig to stimulate the economy and all Republicans against it. 100% on one side and 90% on the other. (though many democrats are starting to oppose it now)

Many Democrats are starting to jump ship now as time ticks by. 13 now and more to stand against it.

Today, Republicans announced they have a stimulis plan at $480 billion ( half of Obamas) and would create 6.5 million jobs, or twice as many jobs as Obama's at half the cost.
I'd be happy to support a plan that is twice as effective at half the cost.
However, I have trouble believing these guys - who were the same ones trumpeting a non-existent CBO report as evidence against the stimulus package. Have you seen a posted link to their proposed plan? I'm not an economist, but I'd like to check it out.
Quote:
What do we, the average person, have to use as a reference point in all this? HISTORY! Not one single time in the history of the universe, the world, mankind, or so on, has frivolous, stimulus spending ever grew an economy. It has never worked.
History has never been my strongest subject - but how many "frivolous, stimulous spending" packages have been attempted? You can take an educated guess - I'm not going to try and verify this as I doubt it would be easy to gather this information.
Quote:
I agree, we will get a bump, spike or temporary and seemingly helpful stimulus from Obam's plan, but it won't last and won't last long at all. It's not going to work, period!
Why are Obama's economic advisors thinking that this stimulus package is going to work? I trust that his team knows what they are doing - certainly more than the republican politicians (why go to a politician for economic advice? Go to an economist) in congress.
Quote:
I predict, if the Senate can delay this vote, for a few more days, things will turn against Obama's plan as it is too bloated, too costly, a fat pig, full of cheap, unneeded spending. It's the same old politics, with politicians making hand shake deals. I put my crap in and you put yours and then we both vote for it. BS! It's all about them and not us, as usual.
I think the bill has too many concessions for the republicans.
Quote:
Please call your elected democratic representatives and tell them to reconsider the Republican plan, or something similar. This thing is a fat, obese, slobbering PIG and we don;t need it, or want it.
If that republican plan is doable, realistic... great.
Like Obama said, "there is no pride of authorship".
But it sounds like simple posturing at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 02:13 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mo's View Post
To not listen to some very smart people when they have an idea which could potentially help get our country and economy back on track is just plain stupid.
Like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies