Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 01:12 PM

88 posts, read 179,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
MLK !! Of COURSE ! That was the guy I was thinking of....how forgetful of me...

Thanks...now that you mention it, I DO feel 'cheapened'. Guess I'm just in WAY over my head here.

All the best to you...and your family.

(PS...a friendly suggestion...and ONLY a suggestion..you might want to watch that assertion that "character is developed through (our) history"....seriously, think about it...because if that's TRUE...and those with a "bad History" are destined to therefore have a "bad character"..then there's no end to where that argument could go. It ALMOST sounds worthy of the KKK, in a roundabout sort of way.

Only suggesting that this is PROBABLY a line of thinking that could cause you more problems with others in the future. Bad "history" or not, NONE of us are exempt from the need to have "character"...and I think few people would argue with me on THAT point)...
was just thinking that myself!

If our character is developed by our history then we'd all be a mess!

There is such a thing as choosing your own behavior! The cycle can be broken... but it's a choice. Teaching your children to resent others of a different race because of what happened "way back then to your ancestors" is WRONG. Should we as "whites" teach our children to look down upon and hate "blacks" just because our ancestors did? No! Where do we draw the line and stop living in the past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 01:26 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,976,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
I have been noticing, for about the past 12 years or so, a phenomenon I can best describe as "reverse racism". I understand how black people were oppressed back in the day as slaves, and repressed more recently until the civil rights movement of the 1960s. I am not saying that that stuff was "right" in any way. Let it be known, for the record, that I am an advocate of full equality.
It's been going on for far longer than 12 years. I used to experience it and see it when I was in grade school. That's a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post

However... it seems as though the once-repressed black people are now going supremacist on people of other races... mostly white people. Maybe they don't believe that they have achieved equality, but I really believe that the system allows this form of supremacy. Allow me to give some examples.

This makes about as much sense to me as if I were to hate all White people for the slaughter of millions from my heritage--the American Indians. While they're little more than invisible today and ignorance abounds even today regarding the truth of their plight, I can't hate an entire race for something that happened in the past.

Basically, I think many who could and should are too fearful to stand up and acknowledge this problem of reverse racism when they speak of racism. But not all Blacks do it. I've seen some acknowledge and denounce it.

The Blacks who hate Whites forget (or maybe they never studied in history class) it was also a White man who ended slavery. It was Whites who went to war and died to save them from slavery. It was Whites who hid them in their homes from those who endorsed slavery. Not all Whites are racist but some are treated as such simply b'c they're White. This is nothing more than ignorance.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:08 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,531,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
[

This makes about as much sense to me as if I were to hate all White people for the slaughter of millions from my heritage--the American Indians. While they're little more than invisible today and ignorance abounds even today regarding the truth of their plight, I can't hate an entire race for something that happened in the past.

[/b]
I hear this all the time; good points. I'm married to a "native" who has just about the most POSITIVE outlook on life of anyone I know. She figures that she has a pretty good life, lots of opportunities, and is WAY past the age at which people in the past used to DIE. I can't even GET her to dwell on the past much...she's happy to be living NOW, and has no desire to go back to THEN.

I envy her outlook. Thanks for your post. Life is short....and then we die. Better make the most of it.

(BTW, she ALSO has way more "character" than just about anybody I can think of, too)

Old 02-03-2009, 04:01 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,469,386 times
Quote:
MLK !! Of COURSE ! That was the guy I was thinking of....how forgetful of me...

Thanks...now that you mention it, I DO feel 'cheapened'. Guess I'm just in WAY over my head here.

All the best to you...and your family.

(PS...a friendly suggestion...and ONLY a suggestion..you might want to watch that assertion that "character is developed through (our) history"....seriously, think about it...because if that's TRUE...and those with a "bad History" are destined to therefore have a "bad character"..then there's no end to where that argument could go. It ALMOST sounds worthy of the KKK, in a roundabout sort of way.

Only suggesting that this is PROBABLY a line of thinking that could cause you more problems with others in the future. Bad "history" or not, NONE of us are exempt from the need to have "character"...and I think few people would argue with me on THAT point)...
We'll your "assertion" doesn't suprise me. I've noticed over the course of this banter that you and others are fairly uh...small minded. The tough things that we experience build character, they don't have to destine you for failure. That's very small minded thinking. The great things in your history don't mean you're destined for great things. Both negative and positive simply shape who you are and what type of "character" you may have. There are 100s of variables that go into a persons character. Maybe I'm coming at it from an overly intellectual perspective..I guess I should've broken it down to the hotdog level. If our history, meaning as a people, nation, race, family member or whatever doesn't shape us as beings then what does? I learned the meaning of character at home as a child. Be honest, truthful and respectful and always take care of your business. Those things that I gained at home came from my mom who got them from her mom and so on and so forth and each gained a little from outside sources etc. In short my character traits were born out of, here it comes again, history. SlickRick1 said I keep repeating the same things. Well, if the same things are true, I'm going to keep repeating them.

On another note, why are you even talking about "character"? Are you contending that blacks don't have character? I'm actually not even clear why you took it to character. I guess you finally figured out that you can't win an argument when you're defending something as flawed and as fraudulent as "reverse-racism". You skip over so much and go to this as the end all be all..Well, thats sort what you do with American history so I should've expected it

Old 02-03-2009, 04:06 PM

9,359 posts, read 20,732,294 times
Quote:
You beat me to it....good point. Just as a wife beating up her husband commits "domestic violence",....not "reverse domestic violence".
This usually happens when the wife is really big, the husband is really small, and they each drink a quart of whiskey a day.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I don't agree with the white idiots in this thread, but some of those feelings stemm from the idea that Whites take an overwhemling share of the blame for the world problems. In America, it may be justified, but globally? Naw.

I think you and me agree on more than you may realize. You think I'm trying to put history in the grave, when nothing can be farther from the truth. I'm simply saying that using that history as an excuse to further act in an anti-social manner is inexcuseable and determental to the equality you seek to achieve....
Who's acting anti-social?? I've been debating this topic for three days. I think more people should discuss this topic in depth because so many don't understand what others are thinking. I stated earlier that I stood hand and hand (literally) with people from every race and background on 1/20 and enjoyed the unbiased fellowship of that day. I just hope that that day can someday be everyday..It's long been history (I know, here I go again) in America to quiet those who dissent but my "character" dictates otherwise. Democrats in Congress were afraid to be the dissenting party on the vote to go into Iraq. Look where that got Hilary compared to he who dissented, Obama. MLK was a dissenter..He did pretty well. If your cause is steeped in the truth than you should never let it flounder no matter the opposition.

If stating fact and being honest is being anti-social then I am that.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaschic View Post
was just thinking that myself!

If our character is developed by our history then we'd all be a mess!

There is such a thing as choosing your own behavior! The cycle can be broken... but it's a choice. Teaching your children to resent others of a different race because of what happened "way back then to your ancestors" is WRONG. Should we as "whites" teach our children to look down upon and hate "blacks" just because our ancestors did? No! Where do we draw the line and stop living in the past?
Where are you getting that from? Teaching your children true history isn't creating bias toward another, it's teaching them history. We CANNOT skip the bad. That's one of the main reasons we as a country see ourselves as being superior to those in other countries, because our history books are filled with propaganda. We only know of the good that we've done.

We don't ever choose to stop living in the past because the past lives in all of us.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This usually happens when the wife is really big, the husband is really small, and they each drink a quart of whiskey a day.
Yes....and it's often exacerbated when each one accuses the OTHER of selling the wheels out from under their home, and pocketing the money...or smoking in the bathroom, which MIGHT cause a fire, which MIGHT reach the house...

Old 02-03-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
On another note, why are you even talking about "character"? Are you contending that blacks don't have character? I'm actually not even clear why you took it to character.
Youre right....you win. Yes, you got me there..that's EXACTLY what I said.."blacks don't have character".

Right. Good comprehension.

I'll agree to ANYTHING...just LET ME OUT of this discussion !..PLEEEASE ! I give up !"....Auughhhhh!! (Gasp....*sputter*.....groan)....

Old 02-03-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Youre right....you win. Yes, you got me there..that's EXACTLY what I said.."blacks don't have character".

Right. Good comprehension.

I'll agree to ANYTHING...just LET ME OUT of this discussion !..PLEEEASE ! I give up !"....
You brought it up....I surely can't read your mind nor would I like to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies