Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 08:55 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,399,062 times

Advertisements

The 11 Democrats who voted against the stimulus bill

Bobby Bright - Alabama's second district
"I feel strongly that the American people must have confidence that a recovery package is worth its tremendous price tag.
Congress could have done this by simply focusing on investments in infrastructure and targeted tax relief for individuals and small businesses, but this legislation includes billions in additional spending that will have little effect on the economy."

Parker Griffith - Alabama's fifth district
He said he wanted more funding for projects "such as NASA, water and sewer and transportation" in the fifth district. "We need to jump start our economy and create new jobs, but this bill does not do enough to cut taxes, support small businesses or invest in our research and development programs.

Brad Ellsworth - Indiana's eighth district
But "there were far too many provisions that would provide little to no economic stimulus. I hope that the Senate and conference processes will result in an improved final bill."

Frank Kratovil - Maryland's first district
"A stimulus package of this unimaginable size needs to be met with the reality that a recovery and reinvestment plan is an extraordinary response to an extraordinary crisis.
It is not an opportunity to abandon fiscal discipline in lieu wasteful spending.
The plan includes projects to the tune of $200 million to rebuild the National Mall and $50 million in funding for the National Endowment of the Arts.
Although these may be admirable causes, they certainly are not emergencies and should not be lumped in with legitimate efforts to strengthen our economy and get people back to work."

Jim Cooper - Tennessee's fifth district

He said: "This bill had too many congressional pet projects and too few of President Obama's plans for jump-starting the economy. I hope the next version of the bill stays closer to its purpose: helping America recover from the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.''

Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 09:19 PM

243 posts, read 483,833 times
I am pleased to see that some honest congressmen are truly taking the Presidents message of not playing politics with the stimilus bill exist on that side of the aisle! Simple fact is 12% stimilus and 88% pork that couldnt be passed elsewhere is not Change. It is politics as usual. BTW these numbers are from the CBO (congressional budget office).

Old 01-29-2009, 09:26 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,399,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
I am pleased to see that some honest congressmen are truly taking the Presidents message of not playing politics with the stimulus bill exist on that side of the aisle! Simple fact is 12% stimulus and 88% pork that couldnt be passed elsewhere is not Change. It is politics as usual. BTW these numbers are from the CBO (congressional budget office).
I am just glad none of the republicans backed it and that these 11 could also see the fault and dangers of this package.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:10 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,016,272 times
I forget the terminology for something 'tacked on' to emergency bills that would not normally pass (riders perhaps?). The fact that the Democrats are demanding it be passed ASAP without review should be a red flag right off the bat. Even worse, the effects are not intended to be instant, but are intentionally to take place conveniently before the 2010 election cycle. Politics as usual would be an understatement.

I am just astounded that so many people have put so much blind faith into Obama, Pelosi, and the Democrats in congress to a point that they refuse to speak up when something is obviously wrong. The classic bait and switch technique is not going to work forever. I am just glad somebody had the stones to fight this 'stimulus package' that we will be paying off for the rest of our lives.

Never underestimate large groups of stupid people.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:59 PM

172 posts, read 278,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
The 11 Democrats who voted against the stimulus bill

Bobby Bright - Alabama's second district
"I feel strongly that the American people must have confidence that a recovery package is worth its tremendous price tag.
Congress could have done this by simply focusing on investments in infrastructure and targeted tax relief for individuals and small businesses, but this legislation includes billions in additional spending that will have little effect on the economy."

Parker Griffith - Alabama's fifth district
He said he wanted more funding for projects "such as NASA, water and sewer and transportation" in the fifth district. "We need to jump start our economy and create new jobs, but this bill does not do enough to cut taxes, support small businesses or invest in our research and development programs.

Brad Ellsworth - Indiana's eighth district
But "there were far too many provisions that would provide little to no economic stimulus. I hope that the Senate and conference processes will result in an improved final bill."

Frank Kratovil - Maryland's first district
"A stimulus package of this unimaginable size needs to be met with the reality that a recovery and reinvestment plan is an extraordinary response to an extraordinary crisis.
It is not an opportunity to abandon fiscal discipline in lieu wasteful spending.
The plan includes projects to the tune of $200 million to rebuild the National Mall and $50 million in funding for the National Endowment of the Arts.
Although these may be admirable causes, they certainly are not emergencies and should not be lumped in with legitimate efforts to strengthen our economy and get people back to work."

Jim Cooper - Tennessee's fifth district

He said: "This bill had too many congressional pet projects and too few of President Obama's plans for jump-starting the economy. I hope the next version of the bill stays closer to its purpose: helping America recover from the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.''

Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible
I can agree with most of those statements. Very dissapointed with the stimulus plan. Obama missed the boat on this one. Many Obama voters know this to be true and a few us aren't afraid to say it.

Time will tell whether it's effective or not.... Promoters of the bill can tout it all they want but results will be undeniable -- good or bad.

Excellent post!

Old 01-29-2009, 11:02 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,274,826 times
Good for them. Obama and the Democrats want to push as much of their agenda through under the title of it creates jobs. When if you look at it like the GOP and the 11 Democrats did you can see alot of it is just wasteful spending and not going to help anything. Unless global-warming research is going to start producing thousands of jobs.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:13 PM

380 posts, read 1,055,878 times
Like anything, not all in the stimulus package will please everyone with where the money is to be put to use, but, since this is money which we as Americans, and our offspring will have to pay back through taxes, the lawmakers who crafted this piece of legislation owe it to all of us to not have included obvious pork projects, this will come back to haunt those behind it in future elections should the economy continue in it's sad state. Personally, I think the new President means well, but he has some very conniving members of congress who will corrupt what he is trying to do. Pelosi and Reid are to be watched, Obama may think Republicans are his worst enemies, but in the long run, Pelosi and Reid are going to cause him the most grief and will certainly lay the blame through insinuation at his feet when things go wrong.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:16 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,253,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
I am just glad none of the republicans backed it and that these 11 could also see the fault and dangers of this package.
Funny, though, that it was the Republicans who gambled America away to China. How many trillions are we in debt now? From an administration that inherited a SURPLUS??? Are you "glad" about that, too?

It's also funny, therefore, that you actually think these same Republicans are capable of seeing "fault and dangers" in an economic plan. That's really, really funny.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:17 PM

172 posts, read 278,472 times
We need to start taxing the you know what out of all our imported items from places China and India and entice these companies back to America. Creating more Government jobs isn't the answer. American companies on American Soil, Employing American Workers who make products that sell in America is our only way out of this mess.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:19 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,736,999 times
I see two things.
- Most of them come from red districts, and are likely pandering to their constituents, putting politics above country.
- The reasons they have given makes them as clueless as virtually everybody I have seen opposing the bill and the GOPers against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies