Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:13 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times

Advertisements

The Bible has an STD prevention program that is free: it's called marriage

For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh” (Ephesians 5:31).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 06:44 PM

65 posts, read 168,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh” (Ephesians 5:31).
I agree with you, but unfortunately that is not the reality of the society we live in.

Any health programs that focus on prevention will eventually save YOU money in the long run. Funding public education, awareness, and prevention initiatives that actually work are far cheaper than treating chronic preventable illnesses.

For example, we can relate the decrease in cigarette use and the increase in public health awareness about the risks that accompany it. It may sound crazy, but a decrease in the number of cases of laryngeal and lung cancer, emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, etc, due to cigarette smoking means that insurance companies are paying less to care for such patients. And ideally, it would mean that insurance premiums would be a little cheaper. Unfortunately, the dip is offset by the fact that Americans continue to be overweight and that insurance companies must pay for the expensive care of chronic diseases related to obesity that comes back to bite me in the rear in my premium. I'm just using the smoking thing as one area of behavior and health consequences as an example.

I digress. Money going toward public health education regarding the consequences of being fat is better received than STD prevention because of course the latter has the "moral" stigma attached to it. It doesn't matter that at the end of the day, fewer people suffering from obesity, fewer people seeking treatment for STD's, fewer people smoking, fewer people drinking, etc have the potential to drive down the cost of healthcare...

Old 01-31-2009, 08:01 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,853,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It doesn't, not one bit, it is abuse of our tax dollars.

Wrong!

It does as much as spending it on weapon systems. It is the old question guns or butter. trace the money. it goes to educatrs / health people to provide a health service, money goes to testing labs, and to drug companies and employees...The point is spending the money vs keeping it static. If people went out and spent they could better the economy very quickly. We have some longer terms issues as there are production times that make for slower recoveries. With the slow downs reaching so deep into our production capabilities we have a longer road to recovery.

Each and every item aids the economy. What does a weapon do? you employ a weapon employee, you touch people that provide raw goods for the weapon... it is no different for non killing products. but instead of inflicting injury we will provide a benefit to the people of the country. I find it appauling anyone would argue against this... I think many think they are immune but never realize how close to home STD's are.

Im in Orlando, a school close to me came in with the record of STD's in the district... this means the high schoolsers are passing more than classes.

A school in Brevard county did a blood drive. 75 kids donated... 17 tested positive for HIV. If you think STD's don't effect you, you are living a sheltered life. Kids are very sexually active and make many poor choices that affects the health of the society whether we like it or not.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:21 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,344,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Wrong!

It does as much as spending it on weapon systems. It is the old question guns or butter. trace the money. it goes to educatrs / health people to provide a health service, money goes to testing labs, and to drug companies and employees...The point is spending the money vs keeping it static. If people went out and spent they could better the economy very quickly. We have some longer terms issues as there are production times that make for slower recoveries. With the slow downs reaching so deep into our production capabilities we have a longer road to recovery.

Each and every item aids the economy. What does a weapon do? you employ a weapon employee, you touch people that provide raw goods for the weapon... it is no different for non killing products. but instead of inflicting injury we will provide a benefit to the people of the country. I find it appauling anyone would argue against this... I think many think they are immune but never realize how close to home STD's are.

Im in Orlando, a school close to me came in with the record of STD's in the district... this means the high schoolsers are passing more than classes.

A school in Brevard county did a blood drive. 75 kids donated... 17 tested positive for HIV. If you think STD's don't effect you, you are living a sheltered life. Kids are very sexually active and make many poor choices that affects the health of the society whether we like it or not.
Not wrong at all
It still does not matter, it is a economic stimulas package, not a science package, thats the point, if they want to do this then fine but don't include it as a economic issue because it's not going to put any of the laid off manufacturing sector back to work. Right now at this very second we are in trouble, this countries economic system has failed it will affect every person if it is not fixed, the death rate in this country will climb like never before and so will crime, at this point in time the economy is the most important issue for this country and the stimulas package should address that and that alone.
there is a time for all these other issuse.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:24 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,774,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

It's called use a condom. They're free at your local health clinic.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:45 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
It's called use a condom. They're free at your local health clinic.
The fringe of the right would advocate for abstinence only!

Old 01-31-2009, 09:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
for those that get it will stimulate a lota people especially some researchers at hooters for lunch.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
for those that get it will stimulate a lota people especially some researchers at hooters for lunch.
Now that was funny!

Old 01-31-2009, 09:54 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,260 times
I agree that something needs to be done to curb people having kids and expecting the taxpayers to help support them, but I don't want it as part of a targeted 'bailout' bill, which should be aimed at stabilizing the Middle class, creating jobs, reducing outsourcing of jobs, job training; these are what should be primarily in the bill.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
I agree that something needs to be done to curb people having kids and expecting the taxpayers to help support them, but I don't want it as part of a targeted 'bailout' bill, which should be aimed at stabilizing the Middle class, creating jobs, reducing outsourcing of jobs, job training; these are what should be primarily in the bill.
Under normal circumstances I would agree, but what we have in front of us is no normal recession! This recession is not discriminating against any sector! Research and development has been neglected for eight years! I for one think a broad based plan is needed! I don't expect our scientist to pave roads!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies