Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Thats true but when I talk about employment I mean real jobs like manufacturing, it's not just manual labor it is a blend of technology and trained operations, it's a middle class job that pays a decent wage and employes a large number of people. I don't think the road construction or insulation of federal buildings does much other than making some contractors rich, the guy who lost his $20.00 job will not survive on what the contractor will pay for labor and he will still end up poor and after the moneys spent we will be right back where we are now except we will have some nice roads no one can afford to drive on
There are salary stipulations in the stimulus package to ensure just that, to avoid abuse.

And we can't focus just on manufacturing. That area will continue to shrink under free market until an equilibrium is reached in terms of wages in the USA versus rest of the world. We can achieve pretty much the same thing, at higher wages, promoting science and technology, similar to the 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 02:40 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
There are salary stipulations in the stimulus package to ensure just that, to avoid abuse.

And we can't focus just on manufacturing. That area will continue to shrink under free market until an equilibrium is reached in terms of wages in the USA versus rest of the world. We can achieve pretty much the same thing, at higher wages, promoting science and technology, similar to the 90s.
Actually we can compete it's just the profit margins will be much lower in the USA, many people buy high end products and are willing to pay, I would rather seen stimulus money invested into grass root companies willing to compete with imports, there has to be a return on investing into the economy.
Investing in science will make minimal growth in the economy, it may create some high tech jobs but not the jobs or amount we need, one of the problems is that many of these jobs are already funded by the government so what happens when the economy doesn't turn and the money runs out, these science jobs will be cut. Obama himself said the main problem is that we have lost our manufacturing base in America but I don't see anything that will make a major change in that. We need millions of jobs filled and i don't see that happening. I hope it works out because I don't like soup lines and tent cities.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:54 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
You are making the same argument for creating jobs in broad areas like science that we are! I think that we are agreeing more than we are disagreeing!
I agree, we will make jobs, mostly high tech jobs, I would just like to see it broader. I really hope this package works because I don't think we will have a second chance. In my area stores are closing even a refinery is closing, there are empty homes every where and now I here 46 states are in major trouble. I work in a feild that is needed but I see the economy affecting us and without us your lights wont come on.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:12 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I agree, we will make jobs, mostly high tech jobs, I would just like to see it broader. I really hope this package works because I don't think we will have a second chance. In my area stores are closing even a refinery is closing, there are empty homes every where and now I here 46 states are in major trouble. I work in a feild that is needed but I see the economy affecting us and without us your lights wont come on.
There is a strong belief by many economist that the package isn't big enough! Its by far not a perfect package! There will be plenty of things for the opposition to point to! In the end of the day I think its our best option!We need to get it passed without further tax-cuts! The tax-cut proposal is there to try to insure that the wealthy get their bit of pork!

Old 02-01-2009, 04:07 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
People don't go out and spend lots of money if it hurts when they pee...
This might explain some of the angry posts from the right side of the aisle as of late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies