Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 02:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Did you ever stop to think that the Fact that i think it's a FACT is an opinon. My opinion can lead me to think that it is indeed a FACT that we NEED a UHI!!! Anyone for UHI is of the opinion that it is a FACT that we need a UHI
Facts are not opinions. Notwithstanding your definitional gymnastics, facts can be verified or falsified while opinions cannot. You're entitled to your own opinions. You're not entitled to your own facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 03:19 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
Amen to that. To many people like to pretend their opinions are facts or don't know the difference.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:28 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
All I can say is my health insurance cost per month is close to my mortgage payment. Yes, I do have a sick spouse I'm taking care of. No, we are not old folks. Yes, the insurance is attached to my work. No, I can not choose independent health insurance because they will never ever cover my wife. It will have to be group through employment until the day Social Security decides she's ill and not able to work. Can you imagine if I lost my job and the fear of a lapse in coverage fell on my wife? Oh, that's right there is COBRA insurance, at $2200 per month to bridge the gap so that the "Pre-existing condition" clause isn't an out for health insurance companies who've tried this on us for a year, but no joy for them because I fought my butt off to prove they were in violation of the law. And UnitedHealthCare settled a class action suit of 360 million dollars for not paying doctors for services rendered. Nice system we have here.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:52 PM

By the way, for those who are now lucky enough to not have a sick family member or just lucky enough to have good affordable insurance, count your blessings because your day may come. After all, we are only human not machines. Also keep this in mind, health care, no doubt, has been handed over to health insurance companies some years back to keep you healthy. Think on it for a bit, think deeply.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
By the way, for those who are now lucky enough to not have a sick family member or just lucky enough to have good affordable insurance, count your blessings because your day may come. After all, we are only human not machines. Also keep this in mind, health care, no doubt, has been handed over to health insurance companies some years back to keep you healthy. Think on it for a bit, think deeply.
OK, I have thought on it for a bit. I even thought deeply. And my conclusion is that I derive little more comfort from the prospect of shifting those decisions from insurance companies to government bureaucrats. Your situation sounds like a hell of a drag but at least your wife isn't in a V.A. hospital.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:10 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Why doesn't the United States have Universal Health Care??
Because the United States of America has the best healthcare on the planet, and a government controlled "Universal Healthcare" system would destroy it utterly.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:11 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times
ust my .02- i have no magical answer of course. But isn;t it POSSIBLE that the US COULD come up with a HC system that is the envy of the rest of the world? With all the brilliant minds and technologies we have in the US WHY isn;t it possible to put collective minds together, and come up with AFFORDABLE & MORE ACCESSIBLE health care for US citizens? It doesn;t have to be a "free lunch" nor should we "give away the store", but just make it more fair for as many US citizens as possible. A bit idealistic I know, but a person can dream can;t they
Besides' on apersonal note, the folks I personally come across who rail against changing the current "system" in any way, are almost always affluent, or currently making big $$$ in the HC industry in some capacity. A lot of the folks i know were born into affluence, and have never had to worry about health care for them in any way.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
OK, I have thought on it for a bit. I even thought deeply. And my conclusion is that I derive little more comfort from the prospect of shifting those decisions from insurance companies to government bureaucrats. Your situation sounds like a hell of a drag but at least your wife isn't in a V.A. hospital.
You know what happens when you assume? Did I ever say anything about socialized medicine or whether I may have experience with VA hospitals or not? What I am saying is the system we have in place now, and by the way this system wasn't always this way, is defunct. I am not in favor of someone who may have gotten their job in medical care because of a quota or some misaligned minority who was dissed sometime ago who now is going to treat or assign treatment for my wife for the Feds, however keep this in mind it is happening somewhat now with health insurance companies. Ask your doctor what he or she thinks. I have and they are swayed in the treatment and paid by greedy, yes I said greedy insurance companies whose total outlay is less than 10% of all moneys received and they mean to keep it that way. Stay healthy!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You know what happens when you assume? Did I ever say anything about socialized medicine or whether I may have experience with VA hospitals or not? What I am saying is the system we have in place now, and by the way this system wasn't always this way, is defunct. I am not in favor of someone who may have gotten their job in medical care because of a quota or some misaligned minority who was dissed sometime ago who now is going to treat or assign treatment for my wife for the Feds, however keep this in mind it is happening somewhat now with health insurance companies. Ask your doctor what he or she thinks. I have and they are swayed in the treatment and paid by greedy, yes I said greedy insurance companies whose total outlay is less than 10% of all moneys received and they mean to keep it that way. Stay healthy!
Holy crap buddy, defensive much? Sorry you were so put off by whatever "assumptions" you think I might have made, but perhaps you've lost sight of the fact that the original question posed is why the U.S. does not have universal health care. That is the context into which you injected your commentary. You might do well to clarify your position a little more if you're going to get this bent out of shape about people's assumptions. And what the hell does quotas have to do with anything here?

Old 02-04-2009, 04:37 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
There once was a time when a doctor had one year of training before he began his practice.

All of his medical instruments could be carried in a single leather bag.

And Cocaine, Morphine and Penicillin could each be purchased over the counter in any general store.

At that time, medical expenses were fairly low. No matter what disease you had, treatment was in-expensive. The government could have decided to pay for it all.

Today, it is not possible.

Everyone during their lifetime will suffer some disease. Everyone will suffer some trauma at some time. With modern medical practices it is possible to spend a million dollars with surgeries, tests, and drugs.

For the government to be willing to pay a million dollars for each citizen, means that the government needs that level of income coming in from each citizen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies