Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 08:37 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times

Advertisements

Health Care Lie: '47 Million Uninsured Americans'

Health Care Lie: '47 Million Uninsured Americans' (http://www.businessandmedia.org/printer/2007/20070718153509.aspx - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 08:39 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Five myths of health care

Washington Times - Five myths of health care

Old 03-07-2009, 08:44 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Ooops! You missed something:

""""You really think America will be a strong nation if we regress 40 years?!?!

You think a nation that doesn't take care of the sick and injured will be a strong nation?

AND: Do you REALLY think that Emergency room visits by people with no insurance DOESN'T cost the rest of us money???!!!!!! """""

Old 03-07-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Health Care Lie: '47 Million Uninsured Americans'

Health Care Lie: '47 Million Uninsured Americans' (http://www.businessandmedia.org/printer/2007/20070718153509.aspx - broken link)
From your link:

""" However, the Census Bureau report “Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2005,” puts the initial number of uninsured people living in the country at 46.577 million.

A closer look at that report reveals the Census data include 9.487 million people who are “not a citizen.” Subtracting the 10 million non-Americans, the number of uninsured Americans falls to roughly 37 million"""

Oh, only 37 MILLION....I stand corrected! NO problem at all !

Old 03-07-2009, 08:50 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
A single-payer/nationalized system makes sense not just so people aren't abused and refused from care, for the unemployed/poor etc, but to eliminate the middle men that are sitting out there for nothing but make profits out of people's misery. They don't need to be there and I would love to see why some believe that we need them. AMA doesn't. A vast majority of doctors prefer a nationalized system, so explain to me, why wouldn't you? Could it be because you are stuck with an opinion and are comfortably settled in with the current system regardless of consequences? That is a heck of fighting for mega corporations which AMA believes is wasting billions and reducing the quality of service to the people and providers.

From fear of repeating myself, here is a post of mine on the subject from another thread.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
ONE person's OPINION...op-ed piece.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:53 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,489 times
Quote:
the FACT is that MOST of the countries that have a NHC are LOSING MONEY and going bankrupt,,,many are even PRIVATIZING
Not true and most of the citizens of those countries, e.g. France will never allow that to happen...most would rather pay more tax and pump that money into their socialized systems than sacrifice it all for the American "for profit" system.

Some countries have a mixed system too...and that can work (the Dutch system, for example). A healthcare system at the whim of the free market is not the answer though, because $$$ comes first, treating the sick comes second.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:56 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
A single-payer/nationalized system makes sense not just so people aren't abused and refused from care, for the unemployed/poor etc, but to eliminate the middle men that are sitting out there for nothing but make profits out of people's misery. They don't need to be there and I would love to see why some believe that we need them. AMA doesn't. A vast majority of doctors prefer a nationalized system, so explain to me, why wouldn't you? Could it be because you are stuck with an opinion and are comfortably settled in with the current system regardless of consequences? That is a heck of fighting for mega corporations which AMA believes is wasting billions and reducing the quality of service to the people and providers.

From fear of repeating myself, here is a post of mine on the subject from another thread.
Great post....

I am tired of corporations profiteering from sickness and death. There are plenty of other ways to make money that are far more morally "right". Insurance companies have been milking us for decades, offering less and less coverage, while continuing to make enormous profits, at our expense.

We complain about taxes; why not complain about the billions of dollars we hand over to these insurance companies, often without question, all because of some sort of blind loyalty to the "free market".

Wake up America, you are being conned!!!

Old 03-07-2009, 09:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Most HMOs cover children in college up to age 23 or 25. NY state just passed a bill that will allow "children" in college be on parent's insurance plan up to age 29.
In Colorado, it's 25. But that wasn't my point in that post about college students. Someone had implied that it's OK to let your college student go uninsured. That is simply not possible these days at the four colleges my kids have attended. You must have proof of insurance to attend. The student health centers will take care of your cold, your strep throat, maybe your STD (at some colleges for free, at some for a fee), but not anything major. My older daughter's grad school does not even have a health center.

Quote:
I dont have the stats,, but I am sure you can look it up

back when I was younger...I CHOSE not to pay for health Insurance...why because it was a WASTE, I never went to a doctor,,,I'd rather have that $50 a week to go to the club or get an Iphone.....and MANY people STILL think that way

show me stats that show that ALL 47 million can't afford it
Yes, there are some who are uninsured b/c they choose to reject their employer-offered insurance. I don't know what percentage that is, and really don't have the time to do an extensive searach today. From what I have read, there are many more uninsured who are not eligible for employer-sponsored insurance. Employer-based insurance also limits your job mobility, but that's a separate problem.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:15 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Part of the 40+ million without health insurance are here illegally

There are those who, although they can afford it, don't have it. Many fit into the 20 somethings - who don't see the need to spend the money

If we want to bring down the costs of health insurance - get Congress to pass legislation allowing health insurance to be sold across state lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies