Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:04 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

On June 16, 2004 David Goldman said goodbye to his son, Sean, at Newark Airport. He didn't know it at the time but his wife, Bruna, was in the process of abducting Sean and taking him to Brazil with no intention of ever returning. According to the Hague Convention, to which both the United States and Brazil are signatories, this was a clear case of international child abduction, otherwise known as parental kidnapping. For over four years David has been fighting relentlessly in the Brazilian judicial system to win back custody of Sean and bring him home to their house in Tinton Falls, New Jersey.

read more, click on the link....

BringSeanHome.org - Campaign to return kidnapped minor Sean Goldman to the United States (http://www.bringseanhome.org/home.html - broken link)

I watched this just now...it was broadcasted yesterday on Dateline....you have to watch this and support David in his unbelievable tragic story and hopefully he will get his son back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 10:13 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Parents who kidnap their children are scum, plain and simple. I'm sorry she died, but people who do that to their children are horrible, horrible people and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:18 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,614 times
This is horrible. I posted a link just like yours after he was on Dr. Phil a while ago. Let's make people aware.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:53 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Why did she leave him? He says he thought everything was fine in their marriage, he was completely blindsided...that doesnt sound kosher.... Did her parents help her disappear?

Old 02-09-2009, 07:42 PM

He finally saw his son after 4 1/2 yrs TODAY. Maybe again tomorrow and possibly court again on Wednesday.

Bring Sean Home (http://bringseanhome.org/wordpress/ - broken link)

The Associated Press: NJ man finally gets to see his son in Brazil

Old 02-09-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Why did she leave him? He says he thought everything was fine in their marriage, he was completely blindsided...that doesnt sound kosher.... Did her parents help her disappear?
Her parents came here from Brazil for a few weeks. They went back home and she went with them to visit. David took them all to the airport and was to meet them 2 weeks later. She divorced him (not with his consent), married a high class lawyer there and had a daughter this summer. She died giving birth. Her story is incredible. I have been watching this for months now and I believe him. The child is an American Citizen and belongs here. Meanwhile, he is with her new husband and their child. That makes no sense. Read the whole story on the website.

It is possible to not know if something is wrong in a relationship. I went through something like that too. Very believeable if you've been through it and the other person leads a double life.

I hope you check to so you have a better idea

Old 02-11-2009, 07:54 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTeacher View Post
Her parents came here from Brazil for a few weeks. They went back home and she went with them to visit. David took them all to the airport and was to meet them 2 weeks later. She divorced him (not with his consent), married a high class lawyer there and had a daughter this summer. She died giving birth. Her story is incredible. I have been watching this for months now and I believe him. The child is an American Citizen and belongs here. Meanwhile, he is with her new husband and their child. That makes no sense. Read the whole story on the website.

It is possible to not know if something is wrong in a relationship. I went through something like that too. Very believeable if you've been through it and the other person leads a double life.

They had tapes in which she told him over the phone that he was a good husband and father but that she missed her fancy life in Brazil!

Update This morning on the Today show there was a Congress man or Senator who got in contact with the dad after seeing the Dateline show and went with the father to Brazil and father and son have spend one day together. The son still speaks English and the Congress man or Senator is going to help to convince the courts and the court in The Hague (Den Haag, Holland/The Netherlands) to do more to get the son back to his natural father and the only parent he still has and to his country since he is an American citizen! One step in the good direction!
Uncredible sad story! I hope the ending will be soon and happy...I wonder if the father ever will be able to trust another women and I can't blame him if he has trouble trusting any women after his horrible years....

Old 02-11-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTeacher View Post

This is 100% his side of the story. (Would it have been better if she'd married a "low-class lawyer"?) David certainly doesnt seem to be lacking in funds. And not to denigrate your experience MM, but it seems to me he didnt tell the whole story about their relationship; she never once complained or looked sad? Not that it matters other than to cast David in a fishy light.

Still, if the boy is legally his, he should have him.

Last edited by delusianne; 02-11-2009 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: clarified last sentence.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:00 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Yeah, like the others said, basically she was spoiled and rich her whole life and although she pretended to love her life I guess she hated living a normal existence in the suburbs. After she started calling screaming at him on the phone to give up his parental rights she even said, specifically, multiple times, that she thought he was a great father but that she just didn't want to live in the U.S. anymore and if he gave up his parental rights she'd let him see Sean again (yeah, right ). I think the worst part of all this is that after she died, her scum bag husband (who, by the way, deals with international custody law ironically enough since his wife broke the Hague Convention) refused to give the son back, convinced the courts that because the son had lived in Brazil for like four years that he should stay, strong-armed the Brazilian media to keep them from printing the story (he's super rich and powerful), has had some of his (probably mob) buddies call, harass, and watch David's home, and basically has done everything he can to keep David from getting Sean back. It's absolutely disgusting and I'm appalled that Brazil is doing this. It's very clear, Bruna kidnapped the child and Brazil isn't helping at all.

Did you actually watch the show when he told his story? It may be one-sided but he has multiple people backing up his account. Regardless of whether or not his wife was happy living in the suburbs, she chose to go there with him after they got married. It's not his fault that she was beyond rich and spoiled in Brazil and couldn't handle the normal tribulations of marriage and parenthood. This is what happens when we spoil children and if nothing else, this documentary reminded me of that and I would never raise my kids the way Bruna's parents raised her. By all accounts, David was the more dedicated parent who had a really special bond with his son and Bruna ran to Brazil like a coward. I know people are saying it's sad she died, but frankly, that was my favorite part of the show. It was like after she was finally dead and there wasn't some evil person blocking him from seeing his son, he would finally regain custody. But then of course the whole scumbag husband part happened. Also, David isn't necessarily rich. He needed a lawyer in both the U.S. and Brazil to fight this and it's costing him a lot of money. I think he relies on some donations.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Yeah, like the others said, basically she was spoiled and rich her whole life and although she pretended to love her life I guess she hated living a normal existence in the suburbs.
No, I didnt watch the show and didnt know all this background. Thanks very much for the clarification tangodoodles. I'm just automatically suspicious of stories from angry exes that involve claims like "I never noticed she wasn't happy," four months pregnant at time of marriage and so on. But legally it doesnt matter how ratty the Brazilians are or how saintly David is; if the Brazilian law prevails in The Hague then he's SOL (though he can appeal, and/or work out a visitation arrangement until the son is of age).

I look forward to seeing how it turns out, and will look for more information about the case - thanks again.

"I know people are saying it's sad she died, but frankly, that was my favorite part of the show." lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies