Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:35 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
The general has a right to his opinion, but he also should maybe be more concerned about all the violence in Iraq rather then about worrying about gays in the military. Maybe if he wasnt so pre-occupied on this we would be having more success or at least not as many problems in Iraq.

This just goes to show how good social issues at distracting people from real issues.

Seriously, this shouldnt even be in the debate now. I think people bringing up this topic when there is a very violent civil war going on shows how detatched people and this general are detatched from reality.
Well actually it has been in the news a lot today, and if you are interested in current events it is a valid topic. Besides the fact that the General was generous enough to give an interview to the Chicago paper and they asked him the question. He was just responding. I have a feeling that the General has a lot higher things on his mind than that but when he is asked a direct question he answers. It's not like he called the paper and wanted to discuss the topic. Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 08:45 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,132 times
Default General Pace

Sure he's entitled to his opinion but when people make statements like he has it makes me question what kind of things does he have in his closet?

Does he not realize that no matter what a persons sexual preference is these service men and women he's speaking of are fighting and dying for each and every one of us. ???

Old 03-13-2007, 08:54 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
I would love for someone to explain to me why a persons sexual preference matters in the military?! They are overseas (who knows why?) protecting (who knows what?) making us safer (huh?) just like all the honorable straight men and women in our armed forces. WHO CARES WHAT THEY DO IN THEIR BEDROOM! For all the homophobes...gay people don't want to have sex with you or convert you, so let them all be.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:55 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
[quote=citybythebay;455123]Sure he's entitled to his opinion but when people make statements like he has it makes me question what kind of things does he have in his closet?

Does he not realize that no matter what a persons sexual preference is these service men and women he's speaking of are fighting and dying for each and every one of us. ???[/QUOTE

All the General did was answer a direct question about what he thought, and he answered truthfully. Was he supose to make something up? What is it exactly that you want? I sure he would be the last person to disparage what the military men and women are doing.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:13 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,415 times
1. It's the man's opinion. So he is not entitled to it? Again some folks hate the truth.

2. I get a kick out of folks who make statements like, "when people make statements like he has it makes me question what kind of things does he have in his closet?" Every time someone comes out against gays and lesbians they have some "lurking" gay/lesbian tenancy? The other side loves this to be so. I think it makes them feel acceptable to themselves.

Moderator cut: ...

Last edited by Marka; 03-14-2007 at 02:30 AM..

Old 03-13-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I get a kick out of folks who make statements like, "when people make statements like he has it makes me question what kind of things does he have in his closet?" Every time someone comes out against gays and lesbians they have some "lurking" gay/lesbian tenancy?

No, sorry Marks...you missed the whole point. I was not implying nor did I say that he has "lurking" gay/lesbian tenancy. But I guess that's your take on it.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:28 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
I was not implying nor did I say that he has "lurking" gay/lesbian tenancy. But I guess that's your take on it.
Yeah, right. We all know what you meant.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Yeah, right. We all know what you meant.

No, I don't think you did. But that's OK.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:49 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,347 times
Default General Pace

The newspaper ask the General for his personal opinion and he gave it,case closed...no apology necessary by General Pace.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:59 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
I would love for someone to explain to me why a persons sexual preference matters in the military?! They are overseas (who knows why?) protecting (who knows what?) making us safer (huh?) just like all the honorable straight men and women in our armed forces. WHO CARES WHAT THEY DO IN THEIR BEDROOM! For all the homophobes...gay people don't want to have sex with you or convert you, so let them all be.
Amen. Not that we need more soldiers dying in vain, but the military would be better-off if they'd stop worrying about people's sexual preferences. And to the person who commented on their masculinity, of course not all gay men are effeminate & weak. And what about lesbians?? C'mon, you can't tell me that none of the female soldiers are gay... and I bet some are tougher than the guys.

I don't think the General should be forced to apologize, since it would be insincere anyway... but his opinion shouldn't be law, and this whole issue is just ridiculous. If they're Americans, they have the right to join the military, and should NOT be forced to live in the closet because of it. They deserve the same rights, benefits & respect as any straight soldier - period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies