Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:46 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times

Advertisements

I think we, as a nation, have this burning desire to help people and other nations in the same way that many congress/senate members have to answer to their lobbies more so than the American Public. Basically.. "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" ordeal.

America is like a "happy-go-lucky" cheerleader attempting to surround herself with friends (allies) - so that when another jealous cheerleader (Korea? Bin Laden?) starts drama, she has backup. Or at least, that's the most comical (seriously picture this!)way to put this.

As for helping out individuals in need - Many people have received help sometime in their life (a teacher, friend, family, etc) and feel they owe it to their community. Others simply don't want to be viewed as the "Scrooge"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 06:02 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
(will condense this down, as it is a re-run of a re-run)...
Western culture. Specifically, the Protestant, English-based puritan culture upon which this nation was founded. It's pretty unique in the world, and has caused some of our noblest aims--very few nations have shared these "aims" of ours. It's enabled us to do a lot of good.
But the "downside" of this culture is a societal guilt. ALL cultures have done harmful things, abused others, taken advantage of others, and acted aggressively. What's unique about OUR culture is that we feel "guilty" about these things, and have attempted to atone for our many failings.

It's this guilt that makes us feel we "should" take care of poorer nations. It's our "duty", because we're affluent, and can afford to. It's a fine attribute of our culture, and as I said, it's pretty rare, as cultures go.

The problem with this is, most of our good deeds will have to be done without expecting any special gratitude. That's just the way it is. We do good for its own sake, not to be thanked.

Of course, as others (more cynical than I am) have suggested, there's always good old fashioned greed--- perhaps it's true that at times we DO expect a "payoff". But if we were really totally greedy, there are simpler ways to "get" things than to be "kind". So in conclusion, I think it's a combination of both--yes of course we're always on the lookout for a good business opportunity. But I stll think we have an awful lot of "good intentions" as the result of our culture, that many other nations don't share.

Short, condensed answer to a very complex question.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
The United States of America/The most powerful country in the world
Yes the United States is the most powerful country in the world but is it gonna stay that way if all our resources are going to rebuild other countries that don't even want our help or to "save" illegals from a life of misery and
!
What about what is happening in our own backyard?? People starving, homeless, illiterate?? Katrina was a prime example of how this country just does not have it as together as they should to help their own. Shouldn't we be trying harder to keep this great country great and building ourselves up rather than trying to play the saviour and peacemaker for others??
good post sorry i am out of rep or i would give you some.
i see 2 threads. illegals and katrina.
good post .
illegals its not charity. they contribut big time to us economy as immigrants always do. the issue is illegal all illegal stuff inc cutting in line is rip off, rip off is not charity its forced. not good. so it needs attention.
katrina. yes glad to talk bout this its closer to home mom is from new orleans. i think new orleans had lots of problems b4 katrina.
i am not sure fema can make it all go away i mean we are talking 4th generation gang bang. there is an elephant standing in the living room that nobody wants to talk about except jessie jackson and bill cosby and they got yelled at a lot.
but just between yo and me i love new orleans and houston.
but trials dont always bring out the best in people do they?
hope i did not ramble too much. and that i stayed on target and did not
offend.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:43 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
The United States of America/The most powerful country in the world
Yes the United States is the most powerful country in the world but is it gonna stay that way if all our resources are going to rebuild other countries that don't even want our help or to "save" illegals from a life of misery and wo!
What about what is happening in our own backyard?? People starving, homeless, illiterate?? Katrina was a prime example of how this country just does not have it as together as they should to help their own. Shouldn't we be trying harder to keep this great country great and building ourselves up rather than trying to play the saviour and peacemaker for others??
I completely agree! The Government should spend money to rebuild our country, and not bother everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies