Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:51 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I once smoked highly potent hydroponic marijuana with a friend, literally all day. I also once drank about six shots (from what I remember) of Bacardi 151. One of these incidents had me in the bathroom vomiting for hours. I was sick for two days and had the worst stomach pains ever. Can you guess which incident caused this?
Considering I've never gotten sick off of pot (except for the one time I ate brownies-never again!), I'll go w/the shots of Bacardi.

Quote:
Agreed. My oldest brother is an actor. Not a famous one, but he knows a lot of the A-list celebs personally. We were once having a discussion about drugs in Hollywood. He was talking about all the parties he's been to. He said you wouldn't believe how many stars do drugs. Many you'd never expect.
I am not surprised by this in the least. Check out those female actors-you think they stay that skinny thru discipline alone??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 05:58 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Considering I've never gotten sick off of pot (except for the one time I ate brownies-never again!), I'll go w/the shots of Bacardi.

YouTube - Cop overdoses on marijuana

Quote:
I am not surprised by this in the least. Check out those female actors-you think they stay that skinny thru discipline alone??
Or plastic surgery, for that matter.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:16 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:

YouTube - Cop overdoses on marijuana

Or plastic surgery, for that matter.
Haha, I love the person snorting in laughter in the background. I feel for that cop, my experience was slightly similar. My friend wanted to call 911 & I said HELL NO to that idea. I survived obviously.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:33 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
People use the term "addict" and "user" interchangeably. There is a big different from an addict and a user. Addicts NEED it to function on a daily basis. It's quite obvious that this guy doesn't need marijuana to function, because they test them for drugs at the Olympics. He's probably an occasional user. At 22, I experimented with a lot of drugs. Granted, I was not a role model or anything but still...

His workout regimen alone would dictate that the guy isn't "addicted" to pot; he could not possibly be in the phenomenal shape he is in if he were "addicted" because pot makes you pretty lazy and laid back.

I think it was stupid of him to go to a party, knowing that any party is full of cell phones with cameras but let's not label him an addict because he smoked some pot.

If everyone's lives were an open book I think a lot of people would find that people are full of flaws.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
I believe marijuana should be legalized. Alchohol is worse than weed and its legal. Plus you cant get addicted to marijuana. It makes you happy and more focused. Alchohol impairs judgement and makes you emotional. The only reason marijuana isn't legal is because the govt. cant control it because anybody can grow it in thier own back yard. If there is no profit, the govt. has no interest.
This has been addressed before, but I think "more focused" is hilarious. I do not believe in legalization. It would be nice if we could de-legalize alcohol, but we tried that once and it didn't work. The reason we have more problems with alcohol and tobacco than we do with marijuana is b/c they are legal, and easier to obtain. If marijuana were legalized, there would be more issues with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
I never said it doesn't impair judgement. I just simply stated that it makes you happy and scientifically proven it helps you focus better. And you cant get addicted to the stuff. People don't think they need it. They just really want it and "crave" it. Its just part of being a pothead.
"Craving" is addiction.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:37 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
All we saw is a picture of Phelps with what is believed to be a Bong. We do not see him toke nor do we see any supply of weed. He apologized for making a bad decision and he didn't mention pot at all.

With that being said, I just saw on the 11 PM news that the local Sheriff is looking to build a case to prosecute him. Duh! I'd like to see that case go anywhere. Way to look good there, Officer Dibble.

I don't smoke. I used to in high school, but that was many years ago. I have several friends that still smoke, but they risk losing alot if the cops bust them. I'd love to see pot legalized and regulated. Users can use, gov'ts can tax, and taxpayers won't have to spend money on pot law enforcement, public defenders, courts, and jails for the people who are picked up in the losing war on this "drug".

Old 02-02-2009, 10:07 PM

345 posts, read 643,134 times
Quote:
Here's a good example of focus: smoke some & then start cleaning your apartment-you won't stop til your place is sparkling.
As much as I support recreational marijuana use...I'm afraid I cannot personally vouch for this statement. Oh, I have some friends that can turn a shelled-out WWII Berlin into a city of gold...but if I actually mustered up the energy to start cleaning, I'd likely see something on TV. Or hear some music. Or see some brownies. And its all down hill from there.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:16 PM

345 posts, read 643,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
"Craving" is addiction.
There are two kinds of addiction. Marijuana is not chemically addictive. Cocaine, crack, heroic, etc are chemically addictive. That is, after using as little as once, your brain needs the drug. It's not so much that you feel high when you're on the drug, it's that you feel awful when you're not on it. That's chemical addiction.

One is as likely to be addicted to marijuana as they are to be addicted to food, television, video games, etc. Marijuana gets you high, obviously. But you don't feel bad when you're not high. Maybe burned out if you smoke for long periods on end and then take a break, but that's not in the same ballpark as chemical addiction. Point is, yes it is possible to become mentally addicted to marijuana, just as it is possible to become addicted to fast food or World of Warcraft.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:22 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
Marijuana should be decriminalized.

The reason it is illegal is completely arbitrary (it was listed as a controlled substance from a combination of ignorance/racism against hispanics/political pressure from powerful paper interests who were worried about hemp).

Its prohibition is not rational, and costs society billions of dollars. Ironically, even though its harmless and we throw billions at the "problem" we don't make a dent in usage anyway. This is mainly due to the fact that the weed is so easily grown it is impossible to stamp out suppliers in south america, as was the theory with cocaine. Substitute suppliers will emerge domestically as we cut off sources in south america; this follows because the street price rises as a result of a shift in the supply curve, raising the price of marijuana and inducing suppliers who previously were on the margins and would not have produced at all.

Often, people seem to have knee-jerk reactions against the "drug" based on laughable misperceptions about its effects - at least it would be laughable if it weren't so costly and so needlessly destructive of innocent lives. Alcohol is a much more serious drug, as it acts as a depressant and lowers inhibitions of those under its effects, making them more prone to violence and domestic abuse. More tragically, alcohol is responsible for countless automobile accidents.

Cops I know have told me point-blank they prefer suspects who are stoned than sober or drunk because they're so peaceable. One doesn't here many stories of people who consume marijuana acting out of character and beating their wives or children, like with alcohol.

It is my view that no thoughtful person could justify our quixotic war on marijuana.
Wow, that was well said.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:27 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,693 times
Much ado about nothing. Dude is the best athlete in the history of the Olympics, I'd wager he knows a thing or two about health & his body (& what a fine one it is!! ). Pot doesn't make people go nuts & kill,like alcohol,after all.
I don't,however, think it was smart to be doing it in public,knowing someone sure could cash in on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies