Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:00 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
While you want to give money to bureaucrats and union bosses. Nothing simplistic about that.
How?

Quote:
If I were a wealthy investor, I'd be making acquisitions left and right, and hiring folks to operate and administer them. As it is, I'm making modest real estate purchases and hiring people to repair and refurbish buildings and manage rentals.

This is not rocket science.
No it isn't. I actually own two rental properties. And no, this economy can't survive much less grow on the ideas you profess. We are a consumption based society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 05:07 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
So when do we get to see the plan which includes real help to create American jobs. I've got one hell of a stimulus plan for you. Re-open the thousands of derelict factories that blanket this nation and start making our everyday products at home again. There is no reason other than corporate greed that we can't make our own shoes and baby toys. Tax cuts sound great, but do nothing to help the millions and millions of Americans who don't even have a job from which taxes can be extracted.

These plans are all ridiculous, and will do no more good than our governments other subpar efforts to stimulate our dying economy. We MUST create jobs, or there can be no new growth. We must stop the influx of illegals, or any new jobs will be taken by low wage workers. We must do something real, or we are really going to take a major fall.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:13 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
How?
I don't quite understand your question, but if you are asking how the money will be given to bureaucrats and union bosses, keep in mind that many of the stimulus provisions will require the creations of new federal agencies or the expansion of their state-level counterparts, and that union supporters of Obama will demand that they control the patronage of most work funded by this new federal largesse.

Quote:
No it isn't. I actually own two rental properties. And no, this economy can't survive much less grow on the ideas you profess. We are a consumption based society.
Well, that needs to change, surely. I am in favor of hiring people and letting then earn their money rather than simply giving it to them becuase I feel compassion for them. The latter course honors neither them nor myself.

Can we make the switch to an economy which values initiative over consumption?

I am tempted to say Yes We Can.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:18 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
So when do we get to see the plan which includes real help to create American jobs. I've got one hell of a stimulus plan for you. Re-open the thousands of derelict factories that blanket this nation and start making our everyday products at home again. There is no reason other than corporate greed that we can't make our own shoes and baby toys. Tax cuts sound great, but do nothing to help the millions and millions of Americans who don't even have a job from which taxes can be extracted.
Good points. We have got to end the WalMart death-grip on our economy, but it won't be easy. It's not enough to demand that products be made in the USA; we must also demand that they be sold at prices which ordinary people can afford.

Quote:
These plans are all ridiculous, and will do no more good than our governments other subpar efforts to stimulate our dying economy. We MUST create jobs, or there can be no new growth. We must stop the influx of illegals, or any new jobs will be taken by low wage workers. We must do something real, or we are really going to take a major fall.
My argument, exactly. The current stimulus plan is in reality just a tawdry payoff to the political factions which support the Democrats -- just as the eight years of Bush were a nonstop roll in the slop for the GOP fat-cats.

If the politicians take over the entire economy, and make every issue into a partisan zero-sum game, we are finished. We'll end up like Italy only with bad food or England only with better teeth...

Old 02-03-2009, 07:52 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
My plan

Remove all federal income taxes
Remove all capital gains taxes for 5 years
Cut spending by 30% on all departments of government
Close down miltary bases in europe, japan and other WW2 locations wasting money.
Allow all mortages to be refi at 2% interest rate.
All other houses unpaid for will be sold dirt cheap those will money or who saved will buy up those properties.
Market will adjust in about 1 year or less.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:13 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyandjusticeforall View Post
my plan

remove all federal income taxes

remove all capital gains taxes for 5 years

cut spending by 30% on all departments of government

close down miltary bases in europe, japan and other ww2 locations wasting money.

allow all mortages to be refi at 2% interest rate.

all other houses unpaid for will be sold dirt cheap those will money or who saved will buy up those properties.

market will adjust in about 1 year or less.

***For those making less than 200k /yr

***Not all - target waste

close down miltary bases in europe, japan and other ww2 locations wasting money.
***And redeploy to american civillian projects

***And no bailout for the banks

all other houses unpaid for will be sold dirt cheap those will money or who saved will buy up those properties.
***That will happen anyway

market will adjust in about 1 year or less.[/quote]
***No way - maybe 3

Old 02-03-2009, 08:15 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
The Obama Energy Plan

The Obama Stimulus Plan

Old 02-03-2009, 08:18 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The Obama Energy Plan

The Obama Stimulus Plan
I tried the first pic, and added 1 mpg,

the second I dont need, maybe your brand?

Old 02-03-2009, 08:30 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post

***Not all - target waste

***And redeploy to american civillian projects

***And no bailout for the banks

***That will happen anyway

market will adjust in about 1 year or less.
***No way - maybe 3[/quote]

In response... taxes are taxes.. I dont see the income amount meaning anything. Anyone not paying taxes and saving or spending is good for our country and our economny and most importantly the INDIVIDUAL. So all income taxes should be cut. The problem with government is they cant understand or find waste to them everything is important which is why they must live within reason and cut everything. IF you can cut more in other areas after the 30% everywhere, great but the 30% has to happen for anything to really change. Miltary should not be used for projects unless it is infustruture and security. Like border security and that fence they were suppose to build. Fixing flood zones and other issues of natural disasters. But the must be trained and ready at all times to defend our country. Agree no bailouts of anyone period.
No taxes = real liberty and real economic growth. With the government out of the way this will get fixed quickly and they government will fix it by doing nothing other then letting free markets WORK

Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
Why the GOP's Tax Gimmick for Homebuyers Won't Help One Bit | PEEK | AlterNet (http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/125339/why_the_gop%27s_tax_gimmick_for_homebuyers_won%27t _help_one_bit/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies