Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:55 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,979 times

Advertisements

Don't worry comrades, the implementation of Obammunism will equalize pay for all.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:03 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Not really, but I like this blog: The Jersey Shore Real Estate Bubble
When we we at the shore this summer the number of places for sale was phenomenal and I mean beaches in two distinctly different states.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:05 PM

To draw top talent to NY you have to pay at a level that people are willing to put up with the downside. It is a great place if you can afford it.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:29 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Not really, but I like this blog: The Jersey Shore Real Estate Bubble
Your blog reference was from two years ago, and things have deteriorated significantly since that was written.

However, if you really want to read something funny, take a look at this article from a New York Magazine writer perspective, in December 2003:

Do you keep waiting for someone to prick the housing bubble? Are you freaking out that you paid too much for your home, that you top-ticked the market with your buy? Do you wake up in the middle of the night, drenched with perspiration, convinced that your house isn’t worth a fraction of what you forked over, and that when the bubble bursts, you’ll be an indentured servant to the mortgage company?

Ahh, then this column’s for you, anxious friend. Because there is no housing bubble. Because you probably bought your house at a much cheaper price than you will be able to a couple of years from now. Because your house is worth much more than you think...I came away thinking, Holy cow, we are still early in the cycle of appreciation. I came away wishing to buy some houses, keep them in inventory, and then flip them over the next few years. As much as I love the stock market, I think real estate in this area still has stocks beaten.

Waiting for the housing bubble to burst - Real estate - Bottom Line

BTW, the author was none other than current CNBC financial advisor Jim Cramer.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Which is why you should stop worrying about what price you paid and ignore those anxiety-producing bubble stories. Your home, alas, is not a dot-com, soon to be deflated and delisted. It’s simply the best investment you’ll ever make.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Hmmm if you purchased it in 2006 in the North East or California maybe not. I understand you point but there was a peak and those who purchased at the peak in some areas are part of the 1- 6 who are upside down.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
To draw top talent to NY you have to pay at a level that people are willing to put up with the downside. It is a great place if you can afford it.
Oh, you mean the 'top idiots' that caused this mess? Maybe they should stay home, like in Crawford.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Here is the way I see it. Those people ran the financial institutions and were entrusted with knowing the ins and outs of the financial system. Those people knew what was going on just like all the financial think tanks. Their careers are not going to end with bonuses you can be pretty assured of that. Currently 24 separate investigations are going on right now and probably more to follow.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:44 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,535 times
Hopefully, if all goes well, I'll make about 60K this year and I'm absolutely giddy. This spring, I plan on buying my first home and getting a new car and figure to still be able to save/invest about 1K per month. Things were looking bleak for me a year ago but luckily I found not one but two part time weekend jobs back in October. Now, after working part time on weekends for a few months in addition to my 9 to 5 I literally couldn't spend all of my money if I tried. I guess the secret is not raising my standard of living and focusing on paying off all debt. Cutting out eating out/fast food every night really goes a long way also. My only worry now is that I'll be punished for getting ahead and the Obama tax laws will confescate everything.

What do these fools do with all of their money? Wipe their bums with $100 bills?

Old 02-03-2009, 01:59 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Hopefully, if all goes well, I'll make about 60K this year and I'm absolutely giddy. This spring, I plan on buying my first home and getting a new car and figure to still be able to save/invest about 1K per month. Things were looking bleak for me a year ago but luckily I found not one but two part time weekend jobs back in October. Now, after working part time on weekends for a few months in addition to my 9 to 5 I literally couldn't spend all of my money if I tried. I guess the secret is not raising my standard of living and focusing on paying off all debt. Cutting out eating out/fast food every night really goes a long way also. My only worry now is that I'll be punished for getting ahead and the Obama tax laws will confescate everything.

What do these fools do with all of their money? Wipe their bums with $100 bills?
that's great!! Speak to a tax adviser though or a fin. planner (even at the bank) before you make a big investment, to be sure you know the projections for the (local) future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies