Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 08:40 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,051 times

Advertisements

The last few days told us about how the US Post Office is going to be taking measures to "cut back" service.

I've noticed, spotty, NON-delivery of the mail to my street. For one reason or another, absolutely NO truck delivery on certain days.

Anyone else on the Island ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 08:46 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
I haven't noticed any dropoff. My carrier is ridiculously consistent...I get my mail every day between 11:30 and noon.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 AM

8,678 posts, read 11,067,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I haven't noticed any dropoff. My carrier is ridiculously consistent...I get my mail every day between 11:30 and noon.
same here

Old 02-03-2009, 09:36 AM

For my route we have one driver for the first three days of the week, and the rest of the week, seems to be delivered by two different drivers.

I'm getting the feeling that where someone doesn't show up for work, and the post office can't find a substitute...or can't get anyone to double up, it just doesn't get delivered.

It's subtle, but....it has happened.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
The US Postmaster General made an announcement they were looking at cutting delivery service to 5 days to save money. I believe he said they were going to cut service on Tuesdays. He also said it was because of the lack of regular mail.

U.S. Postal Service May Cut One Delivery Day - KNDU-TV- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28922662/ - broken link)

Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
I am on the very edge of Babylon Village and we do not get our mail until after 4:00 in the afternoon. I did not even know that they were still working that late before I moved here . It has not changed in many many years ; I really would hope that they would switch times & let us be first for once , but they never have.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
The US Postmaster General made an announcement they were looking at cutting delivery service to 5 days to save money. I believe he said they were going to cut service on Tuesdays. He also said it was because of the lack of regular mail.

U.S. Postal Service May Cut One Delivery Day - KNDU-TV- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28922662/ - broken link)

Thanks for the link...it could be some post offices were "trying it out", well BEFORE this.

It's so nice that they tell you, right ?

It wouldnt be the first time...once a person in my local post office completely STOPPED mail delivery, to my street address.

After four days without any mail, I called up and she told me that "OOoops, I forgot to tell you. The delivery person told me she was having 'trouble' putting the mail in the street mail box !"

THIS after 10 years WITH NO PROBLEMS !

I was understanding, though.

I told her that if my mail wasn't on my doorstep in one hour, I would, officially, report my mail as stolen by her and the mail delivery person, and have Postal Inspectors "crawling" all over the small post office !

In addition I called the Hauppauge office and had them certify, in writing, that there was no problem in having my mail delivered to the street box.

Naturally, a PILE of mail suddenly appeared on my doorstep...magically !

Old 02-03-2009, 10:50 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,075 times
I've not had problems in the past with delivery, I usually have my mail by noon most days. I have noticed days with out mail, but since I've changed over most things to electronic delivery, it could be that I just didn't have mail that day.

I'd have no problems with the post office dropping a delivery day. Maybe it will get more people to use electronic delivery on their bills and to pay their bills online. Teachers has a great bill payer and it's free.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:54 AM

Their alliance with UPS was a disaster for me.

As a lark, I opted for use of their...ahem..."Smart Mail" service...combined UPS/USMail delivery.

Well, my dog's medicine was going along swimmingly, until some Joker at the local post office put the then arrived package, ON A TRIP TO ANOTHER POST OFFICE !

I call it "DUMB Mail", and choose PURE "UPS", for delivery now !

Old 02-03-2009, 11:25 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I am on the very edge of Babylon Village and we do not get our mail until after 4:00 in the afternoon. I did not even know that they were still working that late before I moved here . It has not changed in many many years ; I really would hope that they would switch times & let us be first for once , but they never have.
when I lived in West Babylon, I often would not get my mail until 4:00...and the carrier reeked of alchohol at least 2x a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies