Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:31 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times

Advertisements

I love football. I played it in high school, was asked to try out for my college team (a D1 team) by a coach who had seen me playing pickup with a few of the guys from the team, and I have coached youth football since I graduated college. But I hate watching the Super Bowl.

I hate it because my Niners haven't been to it since '95 (but we're 5-0 in the big game), but mostly I hate it because so many people who could care less about football pretend to care about it just to watch commercials. Commercials are bad enough (which is why I DVR every Warriors game and watch it later that same night) in sports matches, but during the Super Bowl, they are 10x worse. First, a game that normally takes 2:45 (at least it used to...) takes over four and a half hours. Second, in a game that is watched by at least 20,000,000 kids, there's a Budweiser commercial in every break.

The commercials are not designed to appeal to alcoholics, they are designed to appeal to people who don't drink. Making it seem "American" to drink Bud. They show a dog and a horse playing fetch, clearly something aimed towards children and others without fully developed intellectual capacity, and somehow it's an advertisement for beer. They tell kids that drinking alcohol is great and has no ill-effects.

Not once in those Bud commercials did they show what drinking lots of beer REALLY does to you. It makes you fat, slow, stupid, lazy, smelly, lowers your standards in sexual partners and causes you to drive recklessly.

We see the news telling stories about how horrible it is that an athlete or celebrity got a DUI, then they show a Miller Light commercial. The hypocrisy is amazing.

What they should do with alcohol is the same that they did with cigarettes. Advertisements only allowed in adult-only publications, no advertising on TV except for those advertisements that show the harms of that drug.

And how in the world are people so excited for commercials on Super Bowl Sunday, yet they can't stand them any other day of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 12:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I think that alcohol certainly qaulifies doing just as much harmn as cigarettes maybe even more so looking at the total effects.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:21 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
prescription medication is another thing that shouldn't be advertised... but alcohol and pharm companies have too much influence for the FCC to ban them from advertising on TV

Old 02-03-2009, 12:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Oh hell, why not bring back prohibition while we're at it!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:12 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think that alcohol certainly qaulifies doing just as much harmn as cigarettes maybe even more so looking at the total effects.
Wrong. Alcohol is enjoyed moderately and responsibly a majority of people. Its only harmful when one is an alcoholic and consumes large quantities. Smoking is impossible for most people to do in moderation, it quickly becomes an addiction. I know because I used to smoke, started out just one here and there, and quickly became a pack-and-a-half a day habit, that I had an extremely hard time quitting even though I really wanted to quit. Beer? I might buy 2 cases of beer a year....I only drink once in a while, and when I do, I don't drink all that much. Alcohol in moderation is not a health risk, in fact it has been shown that there are some health benefits to moderate drinking. Alcohol is only a hazard when you drink too much.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:10 PM

137 posts, read 474,720 times
I think booze is the easy drug because it is the legal drug. Take a look at college campuses~ kids are underage and still have it available at the parties and in many dorms, and so forth. It is socially acceptable because it is legal, but it is still very dangerous. For alcohol corporations, it doesn't have the taboo of cigarettes and illegal drugs so there is a lot of money to be made.
IMO, TV is probably not the place for alcohol ads because everyone is watching it--kids along with parents-- and it is a drug that should be viewed in line of cigarettes.
Just my ideas.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:14 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
No way. If you don't like alcohol then don't drink it.

I'm constantly amazed by people who want to ban something just because they don't like it.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:16 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,979 times
Remotes now have a mute button...try it.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Actually cancel your cable and stop watching TV altogether.

You don't like alcohol so we need to ban that from TV.
Another poster doesn't like drug ads so we need to ban that from TV.

Where do you draw the line ? Where do you just stop with the "I don't like therefore ...." ?

Old 06-11-2009, 05:23 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Jeez, talk about nanny states. I have no problem w/the alcohol commercials & I really don't see that many of them unless I've become immune to them. I actually like the Bud commercials they show during the SuperBowl but then you never see them after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies