Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:43 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
One reason would be that humans are not selectively "bred" to express a particular phenotype or cultivate a set of behaviors and instincts. To me, "breed" denotes human management or husbandry.
Well yes it has been done though not commonly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:46 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Aldous Huxley (British author) wrote the classic and well-known novel "Brave New World" back in the days when Eugenics WAS considered 'science'. One of the many creepy predictions of a dystopian future from that time (along with Orwell's "1984"), the book largely centered around a future society in which several 'designer' races of humans were "bred" in laboratory conditions, each with a specific purpose.

Unnerving reading, and PROBABLY becoming nearer to 'possible' these days, if we ever lose our sense of ethics.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:53 PM

472 posts, read 739,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Aldous Huxley (British author) wrote the classic and well-known novel "Brave New World" back in the days when Eugenics WAS considered 'science'. One of the many creepy predictions of a dystopian future from that time (along with Orwell's "1984"), the book largely centered around a future society in which several 'designer' races of humans were "bred" in laboratory conditions, each with a specific purpose.

Unnerving reading, and PROBABLY becoming nearer to 'possible' these days, if we ever lose our sense of ethics.
Huxley was one creepy dude. Back in my long-distant youth my college profs were all slobbery over his Brave New World crap.

And then I get some snot nosed undergrad telling ME years later that Huxley believed in a sort of DIVINITY - some oneness with the universe concept. I said, "Son, you best step off before I go all professorial on your ass."

And that my friends, is how it's done...

garble-garble-garble....HEIL HITLER!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:56 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Well yes it has been done though not commonly.
I'm not sure how true that is, but I have not met nor will I ever meet any human who did not arise from a free coupling. Anecdotal, perhaps, but I think it is a fair demonstration of the qualitative difference between black and white people and golden retrievers and huskies, respectively.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:28 AM

472 posts, read 739,716 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how true that is, but I have not met nor will I ever meet any human who did not arise from a free coupling. Anecdotal, perhaps, but I think it is a fair demonstration of the qualitative difference between black and white people and golden retrievers and huskies, respectively.
This is either the single most brilliant or single most asinine thing placed upon these forums yet.

Pondering.

Pondering.

Pondering.............

Old 02-04-2009, 12:31 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,370,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

Good words. There are those who believe God is revealed in Jesus Christ, and there are those who believe He is revealed in every grain of sand. Though not a Deist, Huxley's " secular" spirituality shines through his prose often enough you can't not know its there. He does give it an original spin, like Mencken or Mark Twain.

Quote:
A belief in hell and the knowledge that every ambition is doomed to frustration at the hands of a skeleton have never prevented the majority of human beings from behaving as though death were no more than an unfounded rumor.
Quote:
All gods are homemade, and it is we who pull their strings, and so, give them the power to pull ours.
Quote:
My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing.
Quote:
Proverbs are always platitudes until you have personally experienced the truth of them.
Quote:
The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude.
Quote:
There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.
Quote:
There's only one effectively redemptive sacrifice, the sacrifice of self-will to make room for the knowledge of God.

Aldous Huxley - Biography and Works

Aldous Huxley

http://www.sirbacon.org/links/huxley2.htm

Aldous Huxley Quotes

Grey Eminence: A Study in Religion and Politics by Aldous Huxley

Old 02-04-2009, 12:42 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Royal families, as well as some ethnic and religious groups have a long tradition of arranged marriage.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:47 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Royal families, as well as some ethnic and religious groups have a long tradition of arranged marriage.
So some humans genotypes have been managed. But I guess not enough of them to get recognized by AKC?

Old 02-04-2009, 12:58 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
I don't have a lot of time but the essential difference is that human beings do not have enough DNA differences for us to classify them as different "breeds". Race, although perceptible to our eyes as usually dealing with different skin color, epicanthic folds (known in slang as "slanted eyes"), etc... do not comprise enough difference to really classify different "breeds". I'd have to double-check but I believe that amongst different races of people, say an Aboriginal Australian and a typical North American there exists less than .1% difference in our DNA structure.

In fact, while to our perception something like a chimpanzee in a zoo may look like any other chimpanzee we see in a zoo, the DNA differences amongst chimpanzee's is actually far greater than the "racial" differences amongst humans.

In other words, if we were to "transform" ourselves into a chimpanzee, we would see greater differences amongst a chimpanzee from a different part of Africa than we would see if we were to compare white and black. Our perceptions are not always what they seem to be and that is the inherent problem with classifying people by "race" - because we are, on a DNA level, essentially no different than one another.

Professor Richard Dawkins provides an outstanding explanation of this in his book The Ancestor's Tale.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:29 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
No "breed"? No "races"? How about "unique gene pools"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies