Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:49 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Pelosi and the house dems already did that - not allowing debate and suspending of the rules to get this porker passed in a hurry.

It seems she will be shutting out the republicans when it comes to legislation - the "new" obama post-partisanship.
No kidding. It'll be just like this.

I'm curious. Precisely what additional rights should the Republicans be allowed in the House? What aren't they allowed to do which they should be allowed to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 02:54 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I think its funny how someone to lazy to read the bill calls it pork bill. I heard the items with issue are less than 1% of the bill.
That is very true. These lazy people just heard it called "a pork bill" on talk radio so they stupidly repeat the lies just like during the campaign these same nuts claimed Obama was secretly a Muslim, was a communist, and a secret terrorist. Let's face it, the people who believed that nonsense are stupid and now these same people claim the stimulus bill is "a pork bill". Those people don't have a clue.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:04 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
Quote:
Pelosi and the house dems already did that - not allowing debate and suspending of the rules to get this porker passed in a hurry.

It seems she will be shutting out the republicans when it comes to legislation - the "new" obama post-partisanship.
Again you are repeating talking points without even a basic understanding of the situation. The "rule" in question was put in place by Newt Gingrich in the mid 90's and increased the ability of the minority to filibuster a bill. For two years Democrats kept that Republican stinker as a house rule and Republicans used it to literally bring the house into gridlock with virtually nothing getting done. Why did they do that? Simple, their planned to campaign claiming Democrats are a "do nothing Congress" which was dishonest because Republicans were the ones using a newish procedural rule to block everything.

Pelosi repealed the Gingrich rule and restored the rules used by the house for the first 220 some years of US history. It's clear the Gingrich rule was a failure and wide open for abuse so I'm glad it's gone.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:13 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Quote:
washingtonpost.com

Why, sure they do. They have enough dems in the senate to pass the bill - however, they are looking for political cover.

As more and more details of this dem-pork bill get out, they realize just what a pickle they are in - and that's why pelosi and the house dems tried to rush this bill along, changing the rules as she goes.
Ok...lets go over how the house of representatives and Senate work. In the house of representatives all that is required for a bill to pass is a simple majority vote. Pretty straight forward huh. In the Senate there is something called a filibuster. This is when a group of Senators talk a bill they do not like to death. In order to stop a filibuster you need 60 votes to reach something called cloiture. Right now there are only 58 Senators aligned with the Democrats and 41 aligned with the republicans. That means that without bipartisan support Harry Reid does not have enough votes to pass the bill. I hope this helps clarify the position the senate democrats are in for you.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:38 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
The purpose of this bill is to promote economic recovery and reinvestment. That's why those words are in the title. It is intended to be broad-based support for the economy across the board, including catch-up and new investment in infrastructue, alternate energy, education, health care, and technology, combined with tax cuts and direct payments bringing immediate help to low-, moderate-, and middle-income workers and families. This is not supposed to be some flash in the pan program, but a long-term investment and dividend payer. The target is to get two-thirds of the money out and at work by the end of FY2010 with the final third still to come after that.

It's becoming increasingly obvious however that Republicans have no interest in any sort of long-term approach to support for or investment in the future of our economy. All they talk about now is their "stimulus"...sort of like they're out looking for a crack-high. If we can't get it out the door by day after tomorrow, then it's not stimulus, so it must be PORK and BLOAT. And apparently they will kick and scream and whine and cry, and try to pile on hundreds of amendments in an attempt to delay and obstruct this critically needed legislation. Economists say the package must be big, it must be soon, it must be broad-based, and it must be on-going. Republicans are working to defeat ALL FOUR of those things. In service to nothing more than their cheap partisan egos. People notice these sorts of things. And people remember them...

Old 02-04-2009, 04:32 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Your alternative would be...?
I want to know what "ideas" the Democrats were talking about during the election? This looks like the same old Carter-nomic fused with Clinton ethics.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:37 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I want to know what "ideas" the Democrats were talking about during the election? This looks like the same old Carter-nomic fused with Clinton ethics.
Example? But you may want to start with the ideas you're talking about, because I have a strong feeling, you don't have a clue.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:35 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Example? But you may want to start with the ideas you're talking about, because I have a strong feeling, you don't have a clue.
If Obama gives a televised speech about the malaise facing our nation while wearing a cardigan, we're all in trouble!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:21 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Those people don't have a clue.
Does that include the democrats in the senate who oppose the bill?

Quote:
Ok...lets go over how the house of representatives and Senate work. In the house of representatives all that is required for a bill to pass is a simple majority vote. Pretty straight forward huh. In the Senate there is something called a filibuster. This is when a group of Senators talk a bill they do not like to death. In order to stop a filibuster you need 60 votes to reach something called cloiture. Right now there are only 58 Senators aligned with the Democrats and 41 aligned with the republicans. That means that without bipartisan support Harry Reid does not have enough votes to pass the bill. I hope this helps clarify the position the senate democrats are in for you.
I have heard no one threatening a filibuster? Have you?

I see some instruction is in order - Reid does not need 60 votes to pass the bill, a simple majority will do it. He doesn't need bipartisan support.

The dems need to own this bill.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:46 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
I have heard no one threatening a filibuster? Have you?
It's ASSUMED, for crying out loud...

For now, the Senate bill remains a work in progress. "We're trying to find a way to reach 60 votes", Majority Whip Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.), the Senate's chief vote counter, told reporters.

The Obstructionist Party plotters are now talking that well, maybe the environment is too charged right now, so they should shelve the bill and take it up again maybe sometime in March. Or so. That's how much these guys actually care about the country. Same as it ever was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies