U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 04:25 PM

727 posts, read 1,778,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
When President Bush was in office, it seems many people had a problem with his Southern, or Texan accent. Much was made about it, and he was lampooned for it.

I have not heard the same for President Obama's Ebonics accent, or at least I don't hear it on the news programs, nor is it lampooned on TV at this time.

Is it just a matter of time for this to happen, or does President Obama get a pass on it? If so, why the double standard? Or is it just my hearing and he does not have an Ebonics accent?
WTF is an "ebonic accent"? You guys amaze me everytime some stupidity comes from your mouthes.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-04-2009, 04:29 PM

11,878 posts, read 35,042,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Obama does not talk ghetto, which is ebonics as far as I know. At times I think he does sound like an animated preacher, but that isn't ebonics. He clearly speaks well and perhaps the masses might interpret that funny since we're so used to shrub massacering the english language.

I agree. Obama is an eloquent speaker and his manner of speaking doesn't even remotely approach anything that could be called ebonics.

The preacher reference is more accurate. At times, he does use certain inflections that would remind you of a Sunday sermon.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:31 PM

31,765 posts, read 26,972,696 times
Speaking of accent... this guy has done an exceptional job (the video is funny to boot... my be not to those still in Bush camp). SNL could use him.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:52 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,904,993 times
Ebonics? No way. Obama occasionally over pronunciates, but that is a far cry from ebonics. I would have to go with Clinton as having a pretty heavy accent. W's wasn't an accent so much as it was an inability to communicate

Old 02-04-2009, 05:09 PM

8,973 posts, read 15,650,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Obama does not talk ghetto, which is ebonics as far as I know. At times I think he does sound like an animated preacher, but that isn't ebonics. He clearly speaks well and perhaps the masses might interpret that funny since we're so used to shrub massacering the english language.
I agree. Obama is a moving public speaker. My main complaint upon first hearing him was the "preacher" effect. Yes, I noticed too, that his cadence DID seem more "preacher" or "motivational speaker" than President....phrases such as the often-heard "...Men, Women, and children, across this land.." etc etc.

But what do I know from "president", anyway? For the last 8 years I've heard 'bunkhouse twang'. I found that demeaning and annoying. So I'll give Obama a chance....and no. the man does NOT speak "ebonics"....not even remotely.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:10 PM

30,416 posts, read 18,655,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
When President Bush was in office, it seems many people had a problem with his Southern, or Texan accent. Much was made about it, and he was lampooned for it.

I have not heard the same for President Obama's Ebonics accent, or at least I don't hear it on the news programs, nor is it lampooned on TV at this time.

Is it just a matter of time for this to happen, or does President Obama get a pass on it? If so, why the double standard? Or is it just my hearing and he does not have an Ebonics accent?
He gets a pass because he is "one of them" (a leftist), he's black (can't appear racist), and they only reserve things like that for Republicans and Sarah Palin!

But, you're right.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:11 PM

30,416 posts, read 18,655,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
WTF is an "ebonic accent"? You guys amaze me everytime some stupidity comes from your mouthes.
Haven't you ever heard of "ebonics"? Holy cow, are you out of touch or what? Ebonics has been around sice the 80's, at least!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:12 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,230,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I have never heard any accent from Obama. I've noticed him use intonation that some of us may be familiar hearing every Sunday, but other than that I think you're hearing things.
I would say I don't notice any accent of any nature from our President...will say one thing, he's an excellent speaker, and represents our country highly...

Old 02-04-2009, 05:14 PM

17,288 posts, read 27,604,695 times
He'll slip into that sort of semi-black vernacular every now and then when around predominantly black audiences (a friend of mine does the same thing --- goes from educated, flat American English to sorta black country in 2 seconds if a family member calls)..... but in general, Obama's accent is pretty midwestern.

It DOES grate on me how he says POK-EE-STON though. Or TAHLEEBON. Or those long, deep, "Aaaaands" that often punctuate his speech. But I'm just being picky.

Nothing comparable to the way Bush slaughtered the English language though.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:15 PM

8,973 posts, read 15,650,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
Never mind the stupidity that comes from their MOUTHES..have you checked out the ideas that come frome their BRANES ?.....hard to believe they are able to voat, IMHO....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.