U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 09:11 PM

8,973 posts, read 15,614,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
That's one of my favorite scenes & here it is for your viewing pleasure
YouTube - Airplane! - "Oh stewardess, I speak jive"
Thanks for the laugh !...A little different than I remembered...it's been YEARS....
Rate this post positively

Old 02-05-2009, 12:00 AM

23,675 posts, read 30,085,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Personally, I think the voting age should be raised to about 25, and only those who are paying taxes should be allowed to vote.
25 for conservatives; 45 for liberals.
By the time they are 45, many liberals are conservatives.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:54 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,933,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Haven't you ever heard of "ebonics"? Holy cow, are you out of touch or what? Ebonics has been around sice the 80's, at least!
Yep, blacks talked like Franklin Delano Roosevelt before the 80s. Then, they decided, "Let's invent a language that will destroy America, call it Ebonics, and speak it all the time!"

I see Obama's speech as a cross between Kanye West and Da Superfans from Saturday Night Live, which might sound ridiculous because neither is known for being particularly articulate. But there are certain purely vocal patterns that Obama shares with both. Makes sense, since all three are from Chicago.

SNL has done good impressions (or mockery, if you're comedy-illiterate) of both Obama's and Bush's speech patterns. Anyone who thinks they're much harsher on one than the other is a politically co-opted fool.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:01 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,884,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
When President Bush was in office, it seems many people had a problem with his Southern, or Texan accent. Much was made about it, and he was lampooned for it.

I have not heard the same for President Obama's Ebonics accent, or at least I don't hear it on the news programs, nor is it lampooned on TV at this time.

Is it just a matter of time for this to happen, or does President Obama get a pass on it? If so, why the double standard? Or is it just my hearing and he does not have an Ebonics accent?
No problem with his Texas Accent. The problem people had if I am not mistaken was his command of the English language or lack of. Obama is head and shoulders above Bush in that area, sorry.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:38 PM

23,837 posts, read 21,491,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I have never heard any accent from Obama. I've noticed him use intonation that some of us may be familiar hearing every Sunday, but other than that I think you're hearing things.
You're off your rocker dude. Check him or Weezie out when they're down in Mississippi next time.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:17 PM

18,259 posts, read 20,844,512 times
Quote:
Or is it just my hearing and he does not have an Ebonics accent?
Its just you.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:23 PM

5,027 posts, read 5,846,421 times
Quote:
I have not heard the same for President Obama's Ebonics accent, or at least I don't hear it on the news programs, nor is it lampooned on TV at this time.
Are you sure you're not hearing through your eyes? I've never noticed him speak in any way other than a well-educated man from Chicago. He speaks formally for speeches, and more colloquially at other times. However, none of those can be described as 'ebonics.'

The problem with Bush was that he faked his Texan accent, perhaps because he thought it would mask his stupidity if he sounded like a laid-back southern, good-ole boy.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:26 PM

19,889 posts, read 17,527,312 times
Quote:
When President Bush was in office, it seems many people had a problem with his Southern, or Texan accent. Much was made about it, and he was lampooned for it.

Is it just a matter of time for this to happen, or does President Obama get a pass on it? If so, why the double standard? Or is it just my hearing and he does not have an Ebonics accent?
I don't hear ebonics but I can't stand his hesitation and vocal pauses. He needs to pick it up. I couldn't listen to Bush his accent drove me up a wall.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:30 PM

18,259 posts, read 20,844,512 times
On the Obama "Ebonics" issues (which he does not speak) I am convinced that the "Archer Bunkers" and David Dukes are in desperate need to vent and they have found their few like minds on this thread.

Obama speaks proper, modern, American English.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:48 PM

90,377 posts, read 111,409,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
ive never noticed an accent in obamas speech. i will listen now.

and if he does have one...
then its fair game. except to classify it as ebonics is quite ignorant.
Every now and then, I hear a touch of Chicago. That's all. His mom and grandparents, who raised him, were from Kansas, where they have practically no accent, speak TV broadcaster speech, sometimes a little drawly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.