Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:40 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,191,620 times

Advertisements

When President Bush was in office, it seems many people had a problem with his Southern, or Texan accent. Much was made about it, and he was lampooned for it.

I have not heard the same for President Obama's Ebonics accent, or at least I don't hear it on the news programs, nor is it lampooned on TV at this time.

Is it just a matter of time for this to happen, or does President Obama get a pass on it? If so, why the double standard? Or is it just my hearing and he does not have an Ebonics accent?

Old 02-04-2009, 03:58 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,362,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
When President Bush was in office, it seems many people had a problem with his Southern, or Texan accent. Much was made about it, and he was lampooned for it.

I have not heard the same for President Obama's Ebonics accent, or at least I don't hear it on the news programs, nor is it lampooned on TV at this time.

Is it just a matter of time for this to happen, or does President Obama get a pass on it? If so, why the double standard? Or is it just my hearing and he does not have an Ebonics accent?

The last one. He'll use some of the slang every now and then, especially when he's speaking to a black audience. His pronunciation is completely different.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:58 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,182,845 times
I have never heard any accent from Obama. I've noticed him use intonation that some of us may be familiar hearing every Sunday, but other than that I think you're hearing things.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:05 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,710,646 times
Texan/Southern accent had nothing to do with Bush being lampooned, on teh internets or otherwise. He gave up plenty of opportunities to take his pronunciations and go nucolor.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Texan/Southern accent had nothing to do with Bush being lampooned, on teh internets or otherwise. He gave up plenty of opportunities to take his pronunciations and go nucolor.
Ahh yes, the NU-KEE-LAR word! Governor Palin also has that problem, and so on her teleprompter, it was spelled NEW-CLEAR so that she would not sound like President Bush.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:48 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,115,487 times
Quote:

Obama does not talk ghetto, which is ebonics as far as I know. At times I think he does sound like an animated preacher, but that isn't ebonics. He clearly speaks well and perhaps the masses might interpret that funny since we're so used to shrub massacering the english language.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,536,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Obama does not talk ghetto, which is ebonics as far as I know. At times I think he does sound like an animated preacher, but that isn't ebonics. He clearly speaks well and perhaps the masses might interpret that funny since we're so used to shrub massacering the english language.
That's kind of how I feel... after many years with a president(s) that doesn't really enunciate, nor speak fluidly or intelligently (and I'm not talking about accent persay, more the way he talked) that it's shocking and abnormal to have someone who is articulate.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:59 PM

Default Clarification...

I want to clarify, I did not say President Obama speaks Ebonics. I said I think he has an Ebonics accent. He does try to oppress it most of the time, but it slips out often, at least that is what I hear.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:07 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,235,324 times
I'm not so sure that using the Texas drawl doesn't at least partially prejudice some non-Texans against the accent (not that Bush was especially erudite, otherwise).

Those of us old enough to remember Lyndon Johnson might recall when he addressed the nation as "mah fellow merkins."

I was dating a ballet dancer at the time, and she and her friends shrieked with laughter every time they heard that.

(Sidenote: it's important to distinguish between the "Texas" and "Southern" accents; and to distinguish among the many varieties of "Southern" speech. Although not a Southerner myself, I find the speech and the courtliness of our neighbors to the South charming -- especially when used by those of the female persuasion. The first few times I visited the South, I nearly fell in love every time I ordered a cup of coffee... )

Old 02-04-2009, 05:13 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,115,487 times
Quote:
I want to clarify, I did not say President Obama speaks Ebonics. I said I think he has an Ebonics accent. He does try to oppress it most of the time, but it slips out often, at least that is what I hear.
I don't hear it but I'm sure what ever you're hearing isn't an ebonics accent. Maybe we could constitute it as 'black' but again, that isn't ebonics (as far as I know). eta: if you go to youbtube and search ebonics, you'll get an ear full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies