Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:16 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
Yes ebonics has, but an ebonics accent, there is no such thing. You either speak ebonics or you don't there is no "accent". Obama speaks very well. Here ya go, in case you are confused about what real ebonics is:

YouTube - Ebonics aka Jive Conversation Translated

What you can't find anything better to pick at!
Yes, there actually is an "accent" that people descended from Africans have. African languages are among the languages where the intonation of a word can change its meaning, so naturally this is something that's culturally inherited.

Studies show you can tell the average Black person on the phone no matter what grammar and vocabulary used. Of course, you can always change that speaking style, which Obama can and has done.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:19 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
ive never noticed an accent in obamas speech. i will listen now.

and if he does have one...
then its fair game. except to classify it as ebonics is quite ignorant.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:23 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
Yes ebonics has, but an ebonics accent, there is no such thing. You either speak ebonics or you don't there is no "accent". Obama speaks very well. Here ya go, in case you are confused about what real ebonics is:

YouTube - Ebonics aka Jive Conversation Translated

What you can't find anything better to pick at!
Remember the classic scene in "Airplane" (1980)?. Plane is ready to take off. Two very TALL athlete-looking black guys apparently get into an argument in their adjoining seats. Young stewardess looks worried...fellow passenger Barbara Billingsley (stereotypical "white suburban housewife"..played the mother in 'Leave it to Beaver')....flags down the flight attendant; offers "Excuse me, miss; may I help? I speak 'Jive'"...Billingsley then leans over to the two guys, converses briefly with them in 'jive'..they smile and relax...stewardess is relieved and grateful...plane is now free to take off.

HILARIOUS stuff....and no, it didn't sound REMOTELY like Obama..

Old 02-04-2009, 06:23 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
So a black guy speaks in slang, he gets cut down. He speaks well, aka like a "white person", he gets cut down.

Geez, and you wonder why people have identity crises.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:30 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Speaking of accent... this guy has done an exceptional job (the video is funny to boot... my be not to those still in Bush camp). SNL could use him.

That is freaking HILARIOUS! Thanks for sharing, and he SHOULD be on SNL!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:36 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
So a black guy speaks in slang, he gets cut down. He speaks well, aka like a "white person", he gets cut down.

Geez, and you wonder why people have identity crises.

I'm with ya tb400. It seems to be a no win situation... Hopefully things will change for the better.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Remember the classic scene in "Airplane" (1980)?. Plane is ready to take off. Two very TALL athlete-looking black guys apparently get into an argument in their adjoining seats. Young stewardess looks worried...fellow passenger Barbara Billingsley (stereotypical "white suburban housewife"..played the mother in 'Leave it to Beaver')....flags down the flight attendant; offers "Excuse me, miss; may I help? I speak 'Jive'"...Billingsley then leans over to the two guys, converses briefly with them in 'jive'..they smile and relax...stewardess is relieved and grateful...plane is now free to take off.

I know exactly what you are talking about and it was HIlarious! Nothing like Obama though and I'm sticking to it!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:57 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Speaking of accent... this guy has done an exceptional job (the video is funny to boot... my be not to those still in Bush camp). SNL could use him.
Bwahahahaha!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:06 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Quote:
This guy has a bright future impersonating the President!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

That's one of my favorite scenes & here it is for your viewing pleasure
YouTube - Airplane! - "Oh stewardess, I speak jive"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies