Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:41 PM

152 posts, read 212,035 times

Advertisements

About 20 minutes ago I watched CBS Evening news with Katie Couric.
In her report she stated, that they have found bird parts in the engines of the plane that went down in the Hudson.
She went on to say this confirms the Pilots report.
Then she said words to the effect, "They are going to do lab tests to see what kind of birds, they are."
Someone that has a You Tube account should catch this post it, and mail a copy to President Obama.
This is an example of our tax dollars at work.
WHO CARES WHAT KIND OF BIRD IT IS.
If their is enough of it to test, lets see if the birds were drunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 05:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Aircraft are spec'ed out to withstand bird strikes of a certain size and weight. If the aircraft was struck by birds of below the spec limit, there may be an inherent design flaw. So, figuring out what type of bird brought down the aircraft just might have design implications.

Last edited by ovcatto; 02-04-2009 at 06:15 PM..

Old 02-04-2009, 05:48 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
Of course they want to know what kind of birds caused the problem. It might *gasp* lead to learning how to avoid future bird related accidents in the future. Ya think?

Old 02-04-2009, 05:48 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Well, if you would've listened to NPR right after the landing happened, they explained. What the heck is the word they used for the bird guts....I can't remember...oh wait, I think it's snarge. Anyway, they research this stuff to find out what bird species it is, it's nesting habits, it's eating habits, etc. All of it comes down to finding a way to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:02 PM

Default Two thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You would think that someone who goes by he nick USS Enterprise CV-6 would have a clue about aviation accident investigations. You might also know that aircraft are spec'ed out to withstand bird strikes of a certain size and weight. If the aircraft was struck by birds of below the spec limit, there may be an inherent design flaw. So, figuring out what type of bird brought down the aircraft just might have design implications.

Must have been a mess cook.
Thank you, for the reply.
Design flaw is an outstanding reason to conduct a lab test.
My hat is off to you. Keep me informed and up todate.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Enterprise CV-6 View Post
Thank you, for the reply.
Design flaw is an outstanding reason to conduct a lab test.
My hat is off to you. Keep me informed and up todate.
Man, why did you have to insert the Obama slam in the post? Now you're making feel bad about the mess cook crack, sort of.

The Airbus 320's CFM International engines are suppose to be able to withstand a 4 lbs bird strike.

These links will show you how big an issue bird strikes and bird strike stories are in aviation.

http://www.int-birdstrike.org/Athens...7%20WPII-3.pdf

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...birdstrike1999

Birdstrike Damage

Old 02-04-2009, 06:26 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
It's a good idea for the safety of airline traffic.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Man, why did you have to insert the Obama slam in the post?
That wasn't a slam on Obama. I was asking that a copy be sent to him so he could address it, fix it.
But as you have said there is a good reason for the lab test.
Cheers

Old 02-05-2009, 09:25 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
If there is a good reason for the test, why should Obama "fix it"?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
I have never understood why a screen of some type could not be designed to avoid these situations.Since I am nowhere NEAR an aeronautical engineer (and probably didn't even spell it right),I'm sure there are icing issues or something that prevents this from being put on at the intake side of the engine.Just curious tho'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies