Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Agree With Actor Val Kilmer About Most Vietnam Vets: "Most (Vietnam Vets) guys were bord
yes 18 16.51%
no 84 77.06%
other 1 0.92%
not sure 6 5.50%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:32 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,595,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomegenius View Post
I come from a poor area: the only firm that ever comes to the schools to recruit 16 year olds is the army: it picks the people who have no chance of getting a job any other way.
The facts are quite simple: around a third of army recruits would be prime candidates for jail: psychological problems plus low education/skills. A further 50% are considered unsuitable for further training: this leaves around 17% of "normal " people: these are the U.S. military's own figures.
Stating facts seems to be a crime in America: Vietnam Vets were statistically poorer, less educated and black. They would be the kind of people you'd worry about moving next door to you.
Statistically the best way for a woman to get murdered is to marry a viet vet.
You may want to consider that those from your "poor area" do not constitute the entire military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 01:50 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,607,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I am so astonished on how conservatives always want to punish someone for executing their rights.
who mentioned anything about 'punishment'? point that out please.

are you sure you're even on the right thread?

Old 02-06-2009, 02:08 PM

716 posts, read 1,120,417 times
Awesomegenius, maybe you could back up some of these stastics for me, I kind of have a hard time believing the military has a 50% wash out rate.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:13 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,330,821 times
I guess if you don't vote for Val Kilmer because he's an arse, some people think you are punishing him.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:18 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,330,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsnurse View Post
Good question. I guess when someone has access to a national spotlight on any level and then uses it to disparage something you or someone close to you did, you want to use a forum like this to "set the record straight."

At least that's my thinking...
Great thinking!! But it still might be confusing to some people.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomegenius View Post
The facts are quite simple: around a third of army recruits would be prime candidates for jail : psychological problems plus low education/skills [1]. A further 50% are considered unsuitable for further training [2]: this leaves around 17% of "normal " people: these are the U.S. military's own figures.
are they? cite them.

Quote:
Vietnam Vets were statistically poorer, less educated and black.
your evidence please.

Only twenty-five (25) percent of the total United States forces serving in Vietnam were draftees as compared to sixty-six (66) percent during World War II.

88.4% of the men who actually served in Vietnam were Caucasian.

10.6% of the men who actually served in Vietnam were Black.

1% of the men who actually served in Vietnam were of other races.

86.3% of the men who died in Vietnam were Caucasian (includes Hispanics).

12.5% of the men who died in Vietnam were Black.

1.2% of the men who died in Vietnam were of other races.

Source: Vietnam Veterans of America, Speakers Bureau Handbook provided by the Public Affairs Committee

Old 02-06-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
I guess if you don't vote for Val Kilmer because he's an arse, some people think you are punishing him.
lol. yes, to the liberal mind, this is 'punishment,' i suppose.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:39 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,446,360 times
From stories I have heard from Nam Vets, Kilmer would not have lasted 5 minutes over there. Kilmer can't act; he's used up his 15-minutes of fame so now he wants to go into politics. However, he is a big blow-hard and has alot of nerve saying the things he did about the men who fought that war and for those that lost their lives doing so. So sad the measures these "non-acting" fools will go to in order to stay in the lime-light. Kilmer is washed up!

Old 02-06-2009, 05:57 PM

30,382 posts, read 51,986,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
lol. yes, to the liberal mind, this is 'punishment,' i suppose.
Well, at least it's better than the conservative's idea of punishment... weren't a few conservatives (on another thread) asking why water-boarding is considered torture? Guess we have two extreme definitions of the word "punishment," and I'll happily choose the liberal one.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:18 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,576,096 times
Val then....

And now...

My heart weeps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies