Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:12 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times

Advertisements

Obama says faith should not be used to divide

Obama says faith shouldn't be used to divide - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090205/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_prayer_breakfast - broken link)

I for one agree. Faith has been used by the ring wingers (Republicans) to divide for a long time.

Obama is so right and is doing a GREAT job. I loved it when he said "For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus — and non-believers"

Thank you for including more than just your religious group President Barack Obama. Thanks for including everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 09:18 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Faith has been used by the ring wingers (Republicans) to divide for a long time.
Why don't liberals feel that way during Christmas? Who's doing the dividing? Why does the ACLU always attack Christians? It is named Christmas, not Allahmas, Judamas, or Hindumas. It's been Christmas forever. Everyone is welcomed to celebrate Christmas with Christians, I'v never heard of anyone being denied, except for the ACLU who tries to deny Christmas all the time to anyone.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Why don't liberals feel that way during Christmas? Who's doing the dividing? Why does the ACLU always attack Christians? It is named Christmas, not Allahmas, Judamas, or Hindumas. It's been Christmas forever. Do you feel glad about that? Or is it only because Obama said it?
What are you talking about?

Liberals DO celebrate Christmas. DUH!

I don't see anyone stopping you from celebrating your little holiday. Everyone comes up to me and says "Merry Christmas" and I say "Happy Holidays". Do you have a problem with people who dont bend over backwards for your religion?

YEP. Probably. Just like Republicans.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:22 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
I've modified my post to be more clear. 'Seems you've lent credence to my point. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
His former church seems a little.....divisive.
Quote:
We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 AM

Ok.

As if Christians dont attack other religions and their holidays. But this is not a religious debate.

I think people need to leave faith as a personal matter. It should not brought into politics. Faith should not be used to divide.

Right on Obama!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:26 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
His former church seems a little.....divisive.
Key term there...FORMER.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:26 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Why don't liberals feel that way during Christmas? Who's doing the dividing? Why does the ACLU always attack Christians? It is named Christmas, not Allahmas, Judamas, or Hindumas. It's been Christmas forever. Everyone is welcomed to celebrate Christmas with Christians, I'v never heard of anyone being denied, except for the ACLU who tries to deny Christmas all the time to anyone.
When did the ACLU deny Christmas to Christians?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:27 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Ok.

As if Christians dont attack other religions and their holidays. But this is not a religious debate.

I think people need to leave faith as a personal matter. It should not brought into politics. Faith should not be used to divide.

Right on Obama!
But hey, Obama put Christians at the front of the list, don't you find that a little divisive?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
But hey, Obama put Christians at the front of the list, don't you find that a little divisive?
No, because they're the majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies