Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:42 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about the proposal to extend COBRA insurance coverage until 65 when Medicare kicks in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 02:51 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
How do you feel about the proposal to extend COBRA insurance coverage until 65 when Medicare kicks in?
This is a worthwhile modification of current law which deserves debate and consideration. It has no business in the stimulus bill, however.

These end-runs cloaked in the guise of "stimulus" are souring the American public on the Obama administration and dimming the hopes for real compromise and national unity.

We all want the best for everybody. But now is not the time for the Feds to hand out goodies to everyone, courtesy of our grandchildren, and call it a stimulus plan.

We tried that with the banks, remember? Now their CEOs and toadies are spending the winter at some tropical resort lighting gheir cigars with c-notes.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 6,304 times
Default Stimulus COBRA extension

I will not qualify for the COBRA extension because I lost my job in September 2007 .... according to what I have read, the extension is for those laid off 9/1/2008 - 12/31/2010.
My COBRA expires March 15, 2009 ... and I am desperate to continue it until I turn 65 in November ... I have cancer and need meds, etc.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:39 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Since cobra coverage is purchased from your previous employer, what is going to happen to all the employees, and former employees still on cobra when business file chapter 7 and go out of business?

Every single American should be raging mad over the way health care is delivered in this country. Too many people don't stand a chance. And I know there are people reading this gloating about how good their coverage is and feel invincible. Fact is anyone could find themselves with out any coverage by the end of the week.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:51 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Many times I post saying I'm against big government and I am,I see how government takes a mile after being given a inch and messes up things even more while demanding more freedom from Americans.

However there are problems in the medical system namely the insurance.I had a melanoma removed 5 years ago and just because of a friggin mole insurance tell me they won't accept me.The only way I get insurance is through my employer and even then they are willing to cover less and less with more rules as time goes by but wanting more money...

There has to be a system in place to cover those that can't get insurance.I know some mainly on my side of politics like to say tough luck buddy health service isn't a right if you can't afford it but I disagree with that not to mention some of us willing to pay for coverage can't get it anyway.....

Old 02-12-2009, 04:15 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
I am not sure if the COBRA extension to 65 is in this final bill (cannot find anything except mention of 60% reimbursement) -- does anyone know?

Old 02-12-2009, 04:21 PM

419 posts, read 602,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaRoyale View Post
I will not qualify for the COBRA extension because I lost my job in September 2007 .... according to what I have read, the extension is for those laid off 9/1/2008 - 12/31/2010.
My COBRA expires March 15, 2009 ... and I am desperate to continue it until I turn 65 in November ... I have cancer and need meds, etc.
So sorry to hear that and hope it works out for you

Old 02-12-2009, 04:21 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:

It's excellent..

and it addresses a HUGE problem caused by unemployment.

Think about it.. a person in their 50's gets axed for downsizing.. a) because they can hire a younger person that they would have to pay less because..well the person is younger with less experience or b) simply because the economy is bad adn the jobs were cut.

Now.. that person being in their 50's has a harder time finding a new job because of their more advanced age and thereby higher salary expectations in their field.

So now that person is unemployed AND forced to find their OWN personal insurance which is DOUBLE the premium that is being paid for by the company they were employed by.. because buying personal insurance as an individual IS far more expensive.

With this.. that is atleast one thing they can atleast have.. insurance they could possibly afford.

However, someone who finds employment will no longer take the previous employers cobra but take the new insurance. And since the economy is in a downturn it's quite possible that it would take some time for them to find a new job.. maybe even longer than the usual terms that COBRA had.

I think it's FABULOUS.. and it's VITAL at this time when unemployment is on the rise. It most certainly addresses a problem that has been further added to by the state of our economy and is VITAL to our recovery.

I think it's excellent!

Old 02-12-2009, 04:22 PM

419 posts, read 602,784 times
Quote:
I am not sure if the COBRA extension to 65 is in this final bill (cannot find anything except mention of 60% reimbursement) -- does anyone know?
That is what I heard also

I dont know how you are suppose to pay for this when you dont have a job

Old 02-24-2009, 08:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,355 times
Quote:
I am all for it but apparently was not included in the final bill. I don't understand it since I am the one paying for my COBRA coverage, not the Federal government
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies