Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 10:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I'm pro-choice myself, but it's dimwitted to claim a fetus is not "life." Of course it's life.

The law in the U.S. defines and delineates "personhood" under the constitution, not "life". And you can't terminate a pregnancy in the third trimester without a compelling reason.
I stand corrected.
It is life, and a parasite.
It is not a person. It cannot live on its own.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:29 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Like government....

Old 02-10-2009, 10:31 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Are you saying the government provides NO services that benefit the country?
Okay, you must be right.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:49 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Most Republicans are just plain evil stupid people. I would not give them anything if I had my way about it but if I had to give them something places like Kentucky, Oklahoma and W Virgina would be the most logical places. Places that have nothing and where nobody wants to live. And once they have their own country, they have to go through immigration to enter back into the USA. No more just driving over the bridges to Cincinatti anymore.
Jeez man, relax. You've managed to insult half the voters in the country and then you trashed all the folks that live in 3 states. I'm not a Republican and I live in Texas but I still felt the insult.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:57 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
LOL, great post. But your post name... : "Acorn" has a foul reputation in the political sphere. It's associated with corruption and criminals . I'm not sure you'll be happy using it.

acorn is politically foul for sure, but I took the name "little-acorn" as to mean the 1st part in the life of a grand tree to be.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:58 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
American Leadership and War

Well Hitler was allowed free reign back then till it was a must that we do something... I'll let you put that blame on whoever you feel like...
The policy of isolationism was a conservative policy and Strom Thurmond, a conservative, always hated Roosevelt for going to war against Japan after Pearl Harbor. He tried to blame Pearl Harbor on Roosevelt and took up the case of the "scapegoats" Kimmel and Short of the military when in reality they were completely unprepared for the attack on Pearl Harbor although they'd been warned multiple times for the possibility of attack. I wrote a whole paper on this topic refuting the idea that it's Roosevelt's fault that Japan attacked us. If you're interested I could send it to you, it's a pretty fascinating topic.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:14 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
The policy of isolationism was a conservative policy and Strom Thurmond, a conservative, always hated Roosevelt for going to war against Japan after Pearl Harbor. He tried to blame Pearl Harbor on Roosevelt and took up the case of the "scapegoats" Kimmel and Short of the military when in reality they were completely unprepared for the attack on Pearl Harbor although they'd been warned multiple times for the possibility of attack. I wrote a whole paper on this topic refuting the idea that it's Roosevelt's fault that Japan attacked us. If you're interested I could send it to you, it's a pretty fascinating topic.

Many hands played part in Isolationism. Hoover having one of the biggest roles with the Hawley-Smoot despite appeal of 38 nations and 1028 American economists. It might be better if it's more accurate to send it to the University of San Diego History Dept

U.S. Isolationism 1921-33
U.S. Isolationism 1934
Isolationism

In fact most of the nation was embracing isolationism and FDR never committed (publicly at least) to the league of nations.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 02-10-2009 at 12:27 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 12:51 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
A "divorce" is a great idea. It's a solution to our divides. The main problem is determining the geographic division.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:05 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,347,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
leftydan- this is a response...not gonna multi quote:

1. Florida oranges beat California oranges any day of the week!
2. Shell might not be in the South, but Exxon-Mobil is.
3.Atlanta is the busiet passenger airport.... Memphis is the busiest overall airport (FedEx)... both in the South
5. The Matthew Shepard incident was Wyoming, not the South.
Florida has oranges, but California has more variety in produce than any other state, and the volume is simply more massive than most people realize.

And Chevron and Sunoco are in California and Pennsylvania, respectively.

Atlanta's busy because it's the only place Delta flies through and is the only really major airport in the deep south. NYC has three airports, and if they are added together, the number of passengers is far higher. Same goes for San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland, LAX/Ontario/John Wayne/Etc., O'hare/Midway, and Dulles/BWI.

And Wyoming is a red state, which is what this debate is about...not about the North vs South. It just happens that the south (Bible belt) is mostly red and the north is mostly Blue. Remember, North Carolina and Virginia went blue, but are generally considered "the south".

You failed to address all my points, and left out some pretty important ones. Especially about the concentration of top universities in liberal areas. Not only that, but your example schools are all in very liberal places. Vandy is in a very liberal part of Tennessee (McCain 102,702 39%, Obama 158,032 60%), UT is in Austin, a wildly liberal city in Texas. Duke is in the academic triangle, an incredibly liberal area, Emory is in DeKalb county, (McCain 65,581 20%, Obama 254,594 79%) which was so overwhelmingly Obama that it's sad. Name one major college town where there isn't a Liberal leaning (even the county where UGA is located voted for Obama at about 65%...McCain 15,309 34%, Obama 29,513 65%)...simply put, in two generations, the "Red States of America" would be without any real intellectual base and they would fall deeply behind the "Blue States of America" in all aspects of Research, Development, (the main military labs are in highly blue regions, like Lawrence-Livermore) Science and Technology. It's foolish to think that a country without an academic base would ever succeed in the long-term, and that's exactly what the "Red States of America" would be.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:23 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,347,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Someone else brought up the Ivy league thing. Hypocritical liberals always try to act like they are so much more educated, but the reality is, our colleges are just as good. Sorry that the truth hurts
Sorry, but you can't claim that your schools are better than Stanford, Harvard, Yale and the rest of those schools that are ranked the highest. The simple fact of the matter is that the smartest and best students go to the Ivy League and equivalent schools and only end up at those schools as a backup. Even those from the south. I went to a great college in the south (Tulane), but only because I wasn't a good enough student to get into Stanford or Princeton. My fellow students at Tulane were inferior in their qualifications and intellectual abilities than those I knew at Yale and Stanford. The schools also have vastly more money endowed (the individual schools with the ten largest endowments are: Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Princeton, MIT, Columbia, U-Mich, The University of Pennsylvania, Northwestern and the University of Chicago. You have to go to the second 10 to find a single school in the south, and even then only 5 of the next 15 are in the south.) are all the best schools in the country.

People who claim that Ivy League educations aren't any better than their schools are clearly people who are jealous of those who were superior to them in high school and ended up with a superior education at a superior institution. I harbor no jealousy for my best friend who went to Yale, nor do I look down upon my girlfriend who went to San Diego State. But to claim that the schools in the south are just as good as the Ivys (and Stanford and the techs) is simply laughable.

Only 25% of Americans even have a BA or higher, so any college degree (aside from those diploma mills, or schools like Liberty or Bob Jones) has value, but if two entry-level kids fresh out of college apply for the same job, one from Rice and one from Harvard, who do you think the HR department will offer the job to? Which schools do the top companies recruit at? Which schools have the most accomplished students? The answers to all these questions are quite clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies