Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:59 AM

9,873 posts, read 10,776,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
How is it that after 20,000 years or so of sharing the environment with the varied wildlife in America now the wolves are responsible for starving Native Peoples? Perhaps it's more likely that the American lifestyle of government dependency has been thrust on these villagers and they're bearing the brunt of it.
And how expensive is this aerial hunting? Sounds like a privileged "good ol' boy" hunting method that's out of reach for most Alaskans. Hardly sporting. I would be curious what Inuit and other Native peoples think about this.
Honestly , this whole issue of wolf hunting is much ado about nothing that is purely driven by politics by a few extremist animal rights nut cases against a very conservative popular govenor. As far as most normal people are concerned it is a yaaaaawn non issue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,986,543 times
I'm not sure. I was doing some searching and found this article. It kinda supports my suspicions that Gov. Palin represents the population of hunters that want to mold it into strictly a commercial sport irrespective of real wildlife ecological needs.

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2008/9/9/193512/8898
(file:///Users/tcrackly/Desktop/Palin%27s%20Poor%20Record%20on%20Alaskan%20Native% 20Issues%20-%20TalkLeft-%20The%20Politics%20Of%20Crime.webloc - broken link)

Last edited by tcrackly; 03-10-2009 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: correcting the link

Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 AM

18,337 posts, read 26,373,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I'm not sure. I was doing some searching and found this article. It kinda supports my suspicions that Gov. Palin represents the population of hunters that want to mold it into strictly a commercial sport irrespective of real wildlife ecological needs.

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2008/9/9/193512/8898
(file:///Users/tcrackly/Desktop/Palin%27s%20Poor%20Record%20on%20Alaskan%20Native% 20Issues%20-%20TalkLeft-%20The%20Politics%20Of%20Crime.webloc - broken link)
She tends to support the out of state sport hunters more than the subsistence hunters but it's somewhat irrelevant since the wolf control program pre-dates her being governor, and it helps the subsistence hunters.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:45 AM

23,324 posts, read 17,008,770 times
Default and the wolves are winning.........

"Every year, between six and eight million dogs and cats enter U.S. shelters; some three to four million of these animals are euthanized because there are not enough homes for them."

The numbers from the Humane society site appear low as they also estimate 4.5 million dog bites a year.

Sarah has a long way to go to keep up with the slaughter that takes place in animal shelters.

Sports Afield or Outdoor Life, circa 1964, had a front cover portraying the shooting of wolves in Alaska from an airplane. Guess the wolves are doing pretty good as that policy has been in effect for at 50 years.

Bounties, however, have proven to be ineffective in animal control acording to any mainstream Wildlife Biology course.

Locally it is effective to "trim the herd."

So I guess we harbor a deep hatred for cattle and dogs as so many are killed each year.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:52 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,675,380 times
The OP thinks its humane the way they kill cattle and animals in shelters. But the culling of the wolf packs is inhumane.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:51 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,933,551 times
Why isn't anyone mad at the past? There were wolves all over the states and now they're gone. I'd say tall as many wolves from Alaska and reintroduce them to all of the lesser 48 states where they used to live and have it illegal for anyone to shoot them, including ranchers. Buy back ranches where you don't need them and have the wolves roam free, just as they once did. As a Yup'ik Eskimo, I like the idea of control up here in Alaska. Not everyone has a plane or could afford one. I'd rather see more game for subsistence hunting to help feed my people. I don't see what the big deal is.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:38 PM

26,499 posts, read 36,354,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
She tends to support the out of state sport hunters more than the subsistence hunters but it's somewhat irrelevant since the wolf control program pre-dates her being governor, and it helps the subsistence hunters.
The out of state hunters are the predators that needs to be removed from the situation.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:53 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,556,521 times
I suppose it is not real easy to hit a running wolf from a moving airplane. That has got to be a real thrill. I'll bet it is almost as thrilling as killing a Hamas politician from a moving drone. Takes a lot of courage to kill wolves from an airplane. You have to get into the airplane. If these big brave hunters want some fun try hunting feral pig with a spear. That takes a pair.

Hunting wolves is just another lucrative business catering to the rich sport. Palin and her cronies are all in favor of commercial.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:16 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,986,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suppose it is not real easy to hit a running wolf from a moving airplane. That has got to be a real thrill. I'll bet it is almost as thrilling as killing a Hamas politician from a moving drone. Takes a lot of courage to kill wolves from an airplane. You have to get into the airplane. If these big brave hunters want some fun try hunting feral pig with a spear. That takes a pair.

Hunting wolves is just another lucrative business catering to the rich sport. Palin and her cronies are all in favor of commercial.
Is that a reference to that blowhard extreme hunter/fisherman on tv?

Old 03-10-2009, 02:19 PM

2,519 posts, read 6,996,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

How lucrative is predator control? If you can find a less expensive way to control wolves I would encourage you to bring your ideas forth.

You might be interested to know that there are new proposals allowing snaring of black bears as well. And also, the gassing of wolf pups in the den.

Do you think we could relocate some of those wolves to NH to control the deer population? Why won't the people of NH allow that? There are plenty of them here and we would like to give you some of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies