Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,241,377 times

Advertisements

To those of you who claim the wolves are not overpopulated, do you also say that deer are not overpopulated in the eastern US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 10:19 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,710,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The wolves are overpopulated and a plane provides the easiest access to control their population (you obviously know nothing about Alaska, much of the state is nearly inaccessible without a plane). Funny how the same people crying about population control being done on animals are the same to complain it isn't being done on people.
So now she's playing God. Nice!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:20 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,167,614 times
Glitch, what's the number of wolves that are killed?
Just wondering, but I also assume it's quite small.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:23 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,257,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
To those of you who claim the wolves are not overpopulated, do you also say that deer are not overpopulated in the eastern US?
Send the woofs (did you say woofs?) wolves to Helena Montana.

//www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv23563.php

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/3/help-save-our-deer

Old 02-05-2009, 10:35 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,344,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Glitch, what's the number of wolves that are killed?
Just wondering, but I also assume it's quite small.
I don't know the total number of wolves killed since 1996, but according to the Anchorage Daily News (not the best of sources) says 39 (including 14 wolf puppies) were killed in 2008 in all three of the designated areas.

It should also be noted that we are not talking about a state-wide culling of wolves, but only three specific areas that amount to less than 0.5% of the state.

When wolves were taking family pets last winter in Fairbanks and Anchorage, nobody was calling for the killing of those wolves. Special precautions were taken to prevent pets from becoming wolf snacks, but the wolves were left alone.

Lower-48ers are COMPLETELY clueless about life in Alaska.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:40 PM

Thanks, I knew it wasn't many. Yes, I remember reading about the wolves coming into town and snagging pets. That's life.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,344,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Thanks, I knew it wasn't many. Yes, I remember reading about the wolves coming into town and snagging pets. That's life.
Yep, that is life in Alaska. Moose and bear are not the only critters to wander the streets of our cities. As long as they are not posing a threat to humans or their property, they are left alone to do whatever they want, and we like it that way.

However. when they become a threat (e.g., a brown bear wandering on to school property while children are on the playground, etc.), then they must be dealt with. Preferably by relocating the animal, but depending on the level of the threat, deadly force may be required.

Whenever I go on a hike, or even just fishing, I am ALWAYS armed for bear. In the 18 years I have lived in Alaska, I have never once had to shoot any critter in self-defense. I prefer to keep it that way, but I will continue to be armed for bear, just in case I have no other alternative.

It is always better to be armed and not need it, than to need it and not be armed.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:51 PM

I want to add something that I have noticed since moving here. I have never seen so many regulations on hunting and fishing then I have in AK, and this is coming from quite a hunting and fishing state, MI. The state, at least to me, seems very regulated, meaning, they really do watch and care for the wildlife.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:53 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,511,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Yep, that is life in Alaska. Moose and bear are not the only critters to wander the streets of our cities. As long as they are not posing a threat to humans or their property, they are left alone to do whatever they want, and we like it that way.

However. when they become a threat (e.g., a brown bear wandering on to school property while children are on the playground, etc.), then they must be dealt with. Preferably by relocating the animal, but depending on the level of the threat, deadly force may be required.

Whenever I go on a hike, or even just fishing, I am ALWAYS armed for bear. In the 18 years I have lived in Alaska, I have never once had to shoot any critter in self-defense. I prefer to keep it that way, but I will continue to be armed for bear, just in case I have no other alternative.

It is always better to be armed and not need it, than to need it and not be armed.
I understand where you guys are coming from....I guess I think differently. For instance, I once told an ex that if we were ever hiking in an area w/bear & a bear attacked me, I begged him not to kill the bear. I know, sounds weird, but that's just the way I am. I guess I'd rather be killed by an animal or nature than by a human being.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:59 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,790,692 times
Quote:
So now she's playing God. Nice!
You do realize this program was started by a democrat governor? The department of Fish and Game regulates and implements the conservation program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies