Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Yes, all this mess began January 20, 2009, didnt it. Is that what the radio is telling you?
You mean the pay-for-radio like Sirius so many people in this Depression have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 09:40 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You mean the pay-for-radio like Sirius so many people in this Depression have?
When people cant pay their Sirius bills and it goes out of business, yeah, that Sirius.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:53 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Yes, all this mess began January 20, 2009, didnt it. Is that what the radio is telling you?
No,just the voices in his head.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:10 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Perhaps this is exactly what Americans need today. Hopelessness, despair, deep entrench poverty, starvation, death, pestilence, and famine. I can think of no greater motivator to snap people out of the fantasy we have been living in.

Yes, I know it is horrible to wish for such things, but is it any more horrible than being consumers of everything at the expense of others? I mean, how many 9 year old Guatemalan girls are half starved in some sweat shop all day, sewing together garments to be sold at Macy's for 300 dollars? How many children work in Chinese mills to produce the cheap and often dangerous garbage that fills the shelves of Walmart? Were most American's at all concerned about their well being or the ethical dilemma produced by an entire society of people who lived off the backs of some of the poorest people on earth or the consequences of the destruction of other peoples environments to bring such a prosperous Utopian fantasy life to America?

Seems America is about to get a dose of humility.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:10 AM

504 posts, read 902,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
No,just the voices in his head.
The person is Waking up, That's a good thing! Now they just need to catch up, So lets help them..

Old 02-06-2009, 06:13 AM

504 posts, read 902,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Perhaps this is exactly what Americans need today. Hopelessness, despair, deep entrench poverty, starvation, death, pestilence, and famine. I can think of no greater motivator to snap people out of the fantasy we have been living in.

Yes, I know it is horrible to wish for such things, but is it any more horrible than being consumers of everything at the expense of others? I mean, how many 9 year old Guatemalan girls are half starved in some sweat shop all day, sewing together garments to be sold at Macy's for 300 dollars? How many children work in Chinese mills to produce the cheap and often dangerous garbage that fills the shelves of Walmart? Were most American's at all concerned about their well being or the ethical dilemma produced by an entire society of people who lived off the backs of some of the poorest people on earth or the consequences of the destruction of other peoples environments to bring such a prosperous Utopian fantasy life to America?

I agree..

Old 02-06-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:

Agree - I've often thought we have too much prosperity in this country. I think in the back of our minds, though, there's always been a guilty sense that the bill for all this selfishness would come due someday.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:27 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,086 times
Quote:

I agree on some level with your post here. However.........the world never has been, never will be, and never can be a totally fair place. There will always be those at the bottom of the giant pyramid, ponzie scheme.

You used Macy's and children making garments for 3rd world poverty wages as an example. Well in relation to the sentence above, yes, it stinks, but now what is the alternative? Macy's, like all other retail giants are downsizing, big time. So now, those Chinese children who made just enough to feed themselves are cut off entirely.

I agree, child labor is evil! But without it, millions around the world would and now will starve. It's just the way it is. And as America falls deeper and deeper into that inevitable economic back hole, those who fed upon us for basic survival will completely fall off the map. A sad, unchangeable reality.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:33 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I agree on some level with your post here. However.........the world never has been, never will be, and never can be a totally fair place. There will always be those at the bottom of the giant pyramid, ponzie scheme.

You used Macy's and children making garments for 3rd world poverty wages as an example. Well in relation to the sentence above, yes, it stinks, but now what is the alternative? Macy's, like all other retail giants are downsizing, big time. So now, those Chinese children who made just enough to feed themselves are cut off entirely.

I agree, child labor is evil! But without it, millions around the world would and now will starve. It's just the way it is. And as America falls deeper and deeper into that inevitable economic back hole, those who fed upon us for basic survival will completely fall off the map. A sad, unchangeable reality.

Will there always be wealthy and poor, top and bottom... of course there will. However, in this country if you build a better mousetrap, then traditionally you are rewarded for your efforts and ingenuity from the proceeds of giving the world something new and improved. Doesn't mean you have to some 8 year old chained to a table in a dank basement assembling your mousetraps in order to squeeze every iota of potential profit at the expense of others in order to make yourself wealthy.

Amazingly enough, America has been producing millionaires for many many years without having to do it solely off the backs of those less fortunate. One can actually be filthy stinking rich and remain an ethical business person, in fact, I would even encourage it.

It is from spending so much time like this
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc22/HandyRidgeTn/OK_dees.jpg (broken link)

That we may end up like this
http://wendyusuallywanders.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/greatdepression.png (broken link)

While it is easy for us to place all of our current ills at the feet of government and corporate America as they are certainly at fault for their share, it is however as much the fault of the American people for allowing it to happen in the first place. A population of people that chooses to remain politically disconnected, incurious, apathetic and indifferent while having the form of government that is paramount to having these things as a foundation to remain a sound society, deserves exactly what it gets.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:38 PM

Something that's really scary is that we're no longer a "nation of farmers" as we were in the 30s comparatively. We rely on stores to live - stores and cars to get us to the stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies