Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:42 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Something that's really scary is that we're no longer a "nation of farmers" as we were in the 30s comparatively. We rely on stores to live - stores and cars to get us to the stores.
Not only that, but with all our vast tracts of land and endless seas of wheat and corn, America is now a net importer of food.

Quote:
A little over a year ago The Wall Street Journal (31 Jan 2005) reported that the U.S. would become a net food importer on a more or less permanent basis by the end of 2005
I wonder how many will have victory...errrr I mean survival gardens over the next year or two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 02:37 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Not only that, but with all our vast tracts of land and endless seas of wheat and corn, America is now a net importer of food.

I wonder how many will have victory...errrr I mean survival gardens over the next year or two?
That's true - fertilizers too.

I live in the county seat of a pretty agrarian county and folks in town who dont already have working gardens are only maybe one generation removed from gardens, orchards, wells and chickens, so it wouldnt be too hard for "us" to adapt. But I feel for the folks who've never even seen a manual can opener.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:38 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,405 times
I was told by a government source, that they are planning for some pretty rough times by mid summer, fall of 2009. So tough, riot training, martial law tactics, civil unrest and so on are well under way. Our own government is predicting and preparing for a civil and economic breakdown. Right now, I reside in a cookie cutter neighborhood in NC, but I'll tell ya, all those "nuts" who lived up in the hills, or out in the desert and planned for this stuff and not looking so nuts now.

My personal opinion is that we might very well be heading into a new era and not just here, but in all the world. Life as we know, cannot keep going at it's current rate and velocity. Things are going to change, like it or not.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
That's true - fertilizers too.

I live in the county seat of a pretty agrarian county and folks in town who dont already have working gardens are only maybe one generation removed from gardens, orchards, wells and chickens, so it wouldnt be too hard for "us" to adapt. But I feel for the folks who've never even seen a manual can opener.
Yeah, I consider myself pretty lucky to live in one of those kinds of places where wealth is measured in how much dirt you have turned over in the spring and not the size of your TV screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I was told by a government source, that they are planning for some pretty rough times by mid summer, fall of 2009. So tough, riot training, martial law tactics, civil unrest and so on are well under way. Our own government is predicting and preparing for a civil and economic breakdown. Right now, I reside in a cookie cutter neighborhood in NC, but I'll tell ya, all those "nuts" who lived up in the hills, or out in the desert and planned for this stuff and not looking so nuts now.
What the government considers civil unrest, I would consider getting to know your neighbor.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You mean the pay-for-radio like Sirius so many people in this Depression have?
Quote:
When people cant pay their Sirius bills and it goes out of business, yeah, that Sirius.
Haha, five days later my friend -

UPDATE 1-Sirius preparing possible bankrupty filing-NY Times | Markets | US Markets | Reuters

Old 02-10-2009, 06:19 PM

504 posts, read 902,354 times
Quote:
Wow a lot of people are going to be pissed if they go out of business.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker2012 View Post
Wow a lot of people are going to be pissed if they go out of business.
They might get acquired, but it's the sort of luxury households drop in tough times. But maybe they (or a new owner) will change their product or their target market somehow. No idea, I dont know anything about that biz.

Interesting speculation here:
Yesterday's Wall Street Journal reported that satellite television mogul Charles Ergen made an offer to take control of Sirius XM Radio (Nasdaq: SIRI) late last year. He was rebuffed. Now he apparently has the mother of all bargaining chips -- the $174.6 million in debt that Sirius needs to repay this month.

It remains to be seen what Echostar’s (Nasdaq: SATS) debt-acquiring stunt will ultimately accomplish. With capital-raising sources dwindling for Sirius, it's left with little choice but to negotiate with Ergen. It can also naturally file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, but that would be a bigger betrayal of its fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders.
The win-win solution is for Sirius XM to negotiate a friendly buyout, and that can only happen if the company is able to avoid filing for bankruptcy. Ergen is now in the way, so he clearly becomes the frontrunner here. It's just that he's not the only one with plenty to gain in a Sirius XM buyout [then they list some possible suitors].

Who Will Buy Sirius XM Radio?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:26 AM

I think people could better deal with being hungry than being starved of audio/visual noise.

I have noticed an interesting phenomena when camping with less avid outdoors folk, is that people can't stand the silence or being without the trappings of modern life. Remove TV, radio, internet, and a cell, and most people would be hurling themselves out windows before they ever got hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies