Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:43 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
If seceding is what you're after, why even live in THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA? The key word is United. If you secede, then you're not a part of this nation or this government that does, regardless of what you may think, provide you w/the basic necessities of life & living. Why aren't you living in a commune somewhere, off the grid, living off your OWN land killing your OWN animals, planting your OWN gardens. But don't use those roads because they're a part of the infrastructure of the United States. Also, make sure you dig your own well for water, but ah ah ah...make sure again that you're on land that is not governed by the United States. That TV that you watch? Better make sure you produce you're OWN programs on your OWN electrical grid. Also, forget about a sewer system, that's part of infrastructure, unless of course you decide to dig your own hole for your waste...but again, make sure it's on non-government land.
If the Confederate states had seceded, they would have provided roughly the same amenities/infrastructure you are describing. Lincoln didn't fight against secession because it was Unconstitutional, he fought it because he recognized that once started, the fracturing of the Union would be progressive and beyond mending. He weighed the costs/benefits, and decided that the benefits of preserving the Union, no matter what, outweighed the costs of the war, the damage to states' rights, the loss of lives and he resolutely followed through on that conviction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 08:46 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
And in doing so went against the Constitution and was responsible for the death of hundreds of thousands of Americans and the erosion of the founding principles that governed this nation well.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Asking a supporter of the Confederacy what that flag represents, is like asking a supporter of the Third Reich what the Nazi flag represents.

Generally, they'll both hand you the same BS line about heritage, pride, and resistence to an oppressor (a/k/a a government that stood up for the rights of someone else).
Hmmmm..... I think you'll have trouble finding many supporters of the Third Reich.

The Nazi's today dont really care about heritage or pride, they simply use nazi ideas as the foundation of their hate group..... I doubt many actually care about Germany at all...some probably couldn't even find germany on a map

On the other hand there are many who see the Confederate flag as a regional symbol of the South.... and though hate groups have stolen the Confederate flag, there are far more who do not use the Confederate flag for hate...but see it as heritage and pride..

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who uses the swastika for anything other than hate...

Old 02-06-2009, 08:59 AM

952 posts, read 3,705,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
As a northener myself, the confederate flag reminds me of all the southern boys who have died fighting for the USA in all of our wars.

Funny how little mockery of southerners there is when we need fighting men.

The south have more people in the armed forces then anywhere else in this country. I think the confederate flag is great. I used to be ignorant and believe what most everyone else on this thread does but after i moved to the south myself I changed my mind.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:01 AM

952 posts, read 3,705,202 times
You know, I haven't seen a single trailer park after I moved to Tennessee but in Washington state I saw several? hmmm

Old 02-06-2009, 09:02 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The Dukes of Hazzard...and THE General Lee.
LOL. That is so true! Both of my sons loved that show when they were little. I could always count on catching a nap while they watched it.

Unless Daisy made an appearance. Then I was wide awake.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:14 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,585,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scv720 View Post
what do you think the Confederate Flag Represents?
The Confederate Flag (Stars and Bars) represents an historical time in the history of the US when men, brothers and families were pitted against each other for the honor of the Union and Confederate traditions and their respective ways of life. Contrary to bleeding heart liberals and racist Blacks, the Stars and Bars is not a symbol of racism and hatred. I have an 8X10 inch Stars and Bars decal on my apartment door in a HUD operated senior hi-rise, no person has ever made a negative comment concerning my flag decal. In fact, I have received several positive comments as to my display of the Stars and Bars. The Stars and Bars is an historical flag that should take its rightful place among the historical and cultural flags of the United States of America, Confederate and Union.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:01 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If the Confederate states had seceded, they would have provided roughly the same amenities/infrastructure you are describing. Lincoln didn't fight against secession because it was Unconstitutional, he fought it because he recognized that once started, the fracturing of the Union would be progressive and beyond mending. He weighed the costs/benefits, and decided that the benefits of preserving the Union, no matter what, outweighed the costs of the war, the damage to states' rights, the loss of lives and he resolutely followed through on that conviction.
That's a nice summary!

for my part, I look at the stars and bars as a symbol of individualism; individuals standing up for the right of self-determination as their forefathers did some 100 years earlier. Unfortunate that it was being used to protect an egregious "right."

Old 02-06-2009, 10:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I see the Stars & Bars (the Confederate battle flag) as a symbol of brave soldiers fighting a misguided war for the privilege of their aristocracy. I see the Confederate political flag as a symbol of aristocratic land owning elite rebelling to defend their right to enslave people because they would not pay them. It is a symbol of complete tyranny, inhumanity and evil.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:16 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromutt View Post
Well i saw at least 3 or 4 intellegient responses. The rest came from uneducated fools, who believe what the media says. Lets see, i love my confederate flags, and yet i am not missing teeth,i do not live in a trailer park, i do not drive a pick up truck, i did not marry my cousin or sister or mother or aunt. Wow must have broke the mold there eh morons?The Confederate flag represents pride in southern heritage and culture, we are a distinct people much different from yankees.
And you don't burn the American flag and think it's okay like some lib morons, either. It's pretty funny that freedom of speech only extends to liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies